Bacon

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

Bacon

Post by harryc » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Anyone found REAL GOOD BACON sold via 'hand slicing?'' (PK area)

It has to be hickory-smoked - NOT the Leppä/Alder wich is the ubiquitous smoking wood in Finland.

The shop bacon in plastic is always a crap-shoot - if not often lousy tasting the plastic hides big batches of fat. Also they are very thin-sliced.

I try to eat bacon only once-in-while so if more expensive, fine - as long as it really is good.

Bacon

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Bacon

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 am

Have you checked meat sellers in market halls, or e.g. http://www.wotkins.fi/myymalat/ ? Those would be the first places I'd ask.

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:35 am

Have asked at Hakaniemi - no luck - will have to do systematic search there.

Wotkinss - IMO - has gotten the HK disease - used to be really trying on quality. Long gone - Veijo has not been as involved. I've actually been with him on 'tasting runs.' Some guys there now think the answer to everything is chili and garlic.

PJG

Post by PJG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:46 am

Have a look in your local S-Market for English style bacon. It's cured, thicker cut and not completely full of fat. It also doesn't shrink like hell when you cook it. Quite good quality I would say. Makes a nice change!

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Got hold of Prisma - they asked what brand.

But did suggest:

https://www.foodie.fi/entry/hk-150-g-en ... 9100057275

Quite a price though!! 14-15€ kg - but that's one way to cut down on Nitrite consumption :)

++

It's HK - reminds me of when in 80's they started to sell 'Amerikkalainen Pekoni' - as no such yet available in FI - neither UK style. Found it was smoked with the hard and aggressive 'leppä' - which of course is nothing like hickory sweet-smoking. I spoke to HK product manager to tell it was hardly 'American-style' and he said he had no idea what bacon was sold in US-UK - they just thought 'Amerikkalainen' would be good 'marketing' name. OMG.

Maybe they've now traveled a bit more :)

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm

harryc wrote: I try to eat bacon only once-in-while so if more expensive, fine
harryc wrote:Quite a price though!! 14-15€ kg
You must both find it difficult to win :D
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:55 pm

No - it's OK - just letting people know that the protective price mechanism is working in their favor - health-wise :)

The next goal is to hope there'll be a breakthrough with good-tasting bacon without nitrites/nitrates

-- and I said I don't mind if it is higher priced and REAL GOOD :) - let's see if this is the stuff PJG pointed to