Best Bank To Open An Account For Immigrant

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rob360

Post by rob360 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:50 am

Hi there,

I would like to get some advice about which bank has the most lenient regulations for foreigners to open a bank account.

Currently I will sign my work contract on 12.9, and I have my passport with me. My employee need me to get verokortti and finnish bank account. I have heard that opening bank account with passport only is a little bit difficult. I live in Helsinki.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Best Bank To Open An Account For Immigrant

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 pm

rob360 wrote:Currently I will sign my work contract on 12.9, and I have my passport with me. My employee need me to get verokortti and finnish bank account. I have heard that opening bank account with passport only is a little bit difficult. I live in Helsinki.
With a residence permit or registration of right of residence, the banks are legally required to open an account for you. If they give you a hard time, demand that you get "peruspankkipalvelut".

http://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Finan ... fault.aspx

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am

While betelgeuse is correct from a legal point of view, there are things you need to keep in your mind from the practical point of view. If don't want to bother fighting the usually ignorant bank customer service intern about your rights, I suggest you avoid Nordea completely. Almost all other banks make things easier for immigrants. Anecdotally, OP bank is one of the easiest banks for getting your online banking and online identity access from.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Eveningstar

Post by Eveningstar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 am

Beep_Boop wrote:While betelgeuse is correct from a legal point of view, there are things you need to keep in your mind from the practical point of view. If don't want to bother fighting the usually ignorant bank customer service intern about your rights, I suggest you avoid Nordea completely. Almost all other banks make things easier for immigrants. Anecdotally, OP bank is one of the easiest banks for getting your online banking and online identity access from.
I couldn't agree more. My experience is from few years back. I was turned down at Nordea (Myyrmäki branch in Vantaa) just because my ethnic looks, whereas OP (Osuuspankki) treated me as any customer and there was no problem whatsoever to open an account. My vote goes to OP. As it happens, my husband at that time moved all his accounts and savings from Nordea to OP at the same time.

rob360

Post by rob360 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 am

Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone has experience with S Pankki ?
I just had a chat with their customer service via their website, she said that I could come and bring my passport to the bank office.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 am

Eveningstar wrote:I couldn't agree more. My experience is from few years back. I was turned down at Nordea (Myyrmäki branch in Vantaa) just because my ethnic looks, whereas OP (Osuuspankki) treated me as any customer and there was no problem whatsoever to open an account. My vote goes to OP. As it happens, my husband at that time moved all his accounts and savings from Nordea to OP at the same time.
In the last couple years the law has changed and the government officials have issued some interpretations on what constitutes discrimination. This means all old experiences should be taken with a grain of salt. Of course it's valid to use old back experiences to select even if the experience nowadays has no problems.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

rob360 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone has experience with S Pankki ?
I just had a chat with their customer service via their website, she said that I could come and bring my passport to the bank office.
They don't offer documents or net banking in English which can be an issue to foreigners.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:38 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
rob360 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone has experience with S Pankki ?
They don't offer documents or net banking in English which can be an issue to foreigners.
Especially if one needs to understand what it reads in papers to be signed and without understanding there can't be binding contract... iirc that was the reason Nordea gave while back?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Post by 007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Eveningstar wrote:My experience is from few years back. I was turned down at Nordea (Myyrmäki branch in Vantaa) just because my ethnic looks, whereas OP (Osuuspankki) treated me as any customer and there was no problem whatsoever to open an account.
Are you really sure that it was due to your ethnic look and not due to their policies? I don't know now but back then, Nordea had different policies regarding the bank accounts for people with no Finnish ID and passport (alien's passport wasn't accepted). On the other hand, OP did accept alient's passport as valid ID document. As I understood, they had such policies to tackle money laundering etc.

I used to work for refugees, so my exp comes from helping them open bank accounts.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Eveningstar

Post by Eveningstar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 pm

007 wrote:
Eveningstar wrote:My experience is from few years back. I was turned down at Nordea (Myyrmäki branch in Vantaa) just because my ethnic looks, whereas OP (Osuuspankki) treated me as any customer and there was no problem whatsoever to open an account.
Are you really sure that it was due to your ethnic look and not due to their policies? I don't know now but back then, Nordea had different policies regarding the bank accounts for people with no Finnish ID and passport (alien's passport wasn't accepted). On the other hand, OP did accept alient's passport as valid ID document. As I understood, they had such policies to tackle money laundering etc.

I used to work for refugees, so my exp comes from helping them open bank accounts.
Well you will be the judge:

Altough I am African originated I am Swedish citizen since 18 years by now. I got married with a Finn and by the time we went to open an account for me I already had both Finnish person number and Finnish person ID card. I was dressed business casual however my husband was wearing just jeans and jacket as they were going to have a team building day at work with outdoors activities. We were entering Nordea office and got stopped by a young YUP looking guy; we were in good mood and said good Morning with smile in our face; he promptly asked what was the reason we are there and my husband responded we are here to open an account for me, his wife. We were asked how much money would be deposited to my account each month; a question we certainly did not expect to hear before our turn comes and we could be seated in front of Customer Service officer. We were surprised because of this ackward situation and asked this person are we now being served already, as there apparently is a queue here. At that point we were told by this young man they cannot help us with the account.

We left the place, obviously my husband was mad due to impolite treatment and wanted to complain, but I just told him to forget it. We went to OP nearby and there were no problem whatsoever. No staring from head to toe, people talked to us as any customer, I had my documents with me and boom; I had a bank account. Few days later my husband became customer of OP too and terminated all contracts with Nordea. He was asked why - afterwards he told me he had replied "because you should not judge the book by its' cover" followed by a good look at me through glass wall while I was waiting outside, so the Customer Service rep had to see it (no way I would dare to enter their premises again).

Post by 007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Eveningstar wrote:
007 wrote:

Well you will be the judge:

Altough I am African originated I am Swedish citizen since 18 years by now. I got married with a Finn and by the time we went to open an account for me I already had both Finnish person number and Finnish person ID card. I was dressed business casual however my husband was wearing just jeans and jacket as they were going to have a team building day at work with outdoors activities. We were entering Nordea office and got stopped by a young YUP looking guy; we were in good mood and said good Morning with smile in our face; he promptly asked what was the reason we are there and my husband responded we are here to open an account for me, his wife. We were asked how much money would be deposited to my account each month; a question we certainly did not expect to hear before our turn comes and we could be seated in front of Customer Service officer. We were surprised because of this ackward situation and asked this person are we now being served already, as there apparently is a queue here. At that point we were told by this young man they cannot help us with the account.

We left the place, obviously my husband was mad due to impolite treatment and wanted to complain, but I just told him to forget it. We went to OP nearby and there were no problem whatsoever. No staring from head to toe, people talked to us as any customer, I had my documents with me and boom; I had a bank account. Few days later my husband became customer of OP too and terminated all contracts with Nordea. He was asked why - afterwards he told me he had replied "because you should not judge the book by its' cover" followed by a good look at me through glass wall while I was waiting outside, so the Customer Service rep had to see it (no way I would dare to enter their premises again).
Nordea provides services in English and it was the only bank as far as I know, which served foreigners in English in the past. So, people of your color and mine (I am a South Asian) is not something new to them. Since according to you, an employee at Nordea didn't serve you and it wasn't obviously due to the lack of necessary documents, I don't know... what else to say. I certainly won't judge you or Nordea.

Eveningstar

Post by Eveningstar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 am

Hmmmm....I am not fully following you. I never said anything about not getting service in English language. The whole discussion at Nordea office was taking place in English. I don't agree on Nordea being the only bank either, OP customer service was fluent in English....it was not a century ago, but year 2012....

Someone was asking for guidance, I am just agreeing with someone else on this thread how people can be treated, this was my experience and it is 100% true. Anyone can select any bank they like, I have decided which way to go a long time ago.

Post by 007 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am

Hmmmm....I am not fully following you. I never said anything about not getting service in English language. The whole discussion at Nordea office was taking place in English. I don't agree on Nordea being the only bank either, OP customer service was fluent in English....it was not a century ago, but year 2012....
Well, my point was services in English including contracts and online banking* that Nordea provide are targeted towards foreigners (black, white, brown, yellow etc). So, since Nordea has been dealing with people of your look and mine for decades and my own experience with Nordea regarding my clients, I wondered whether your problem stemmed from the lack of documents as demanded by Nordea. Nordea really stuck out like a sore thumb on this as other banks presumably didn't have such policies in place.

Since you said you had Finnish ID and all, I have nothing more to say on this.

*correct me if I am wrong but I am sure only Nordea had such services in English up until OP came along.

Eveningstar

Post by Eveningstar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm not sure how far in the past you are referring to, but I got my omline banking services in English. cannot remember how it was with the contracts. Anyway, I have been talking about next to horrible customer experience at Nordea. If they had their policy in place when others did not, in our case they nevertheless failed while another bank (with or without policy) treated us well. This is all I have to say about my case.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:00 pm

007 wrote:*correct me if I am wrong but I am sure only Nordea had such services in English up until OP came along.
I have vague recollection that at one point Nordea was the only bank offering netbank in English. But that is ancient history. like a decade ago. I found a review of netbanks from 2010 that lists Nordea, OP, Sampopankki and Ålandsbaken having English as option.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.