Finnish Citizen moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi

I joined the forum a few months ago and have been gathering lots of helpful information here, as well as on migri and UK gov website.

My husband (UK/EU citizen) has accepted a job offer in Helsinki and is already making steps to get his residence permit etc. sorted. He will go out before me, will stay with a family friend, sort out accommodation and then I will go over with our dogs (I have done extensive reading on what I need to do regarding their passports etc. and how to travel with them).

However, I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be doing. I have never lived in Finland (though I do speak the language and visit fairly regularly) but I do have my citizenship papers which I got in my teens because my mother is Finnish. But I don't think I need a residence permit as I am a citizen..? But I'm sure I have to tell someone that I will be residing there and get my national identification number. I have searched this site for similar scenarios but can't seem to find one that seem to fit my circumstances.

Any help regarding my next steps would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Finnish Citizen moving to Finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 am

Tiina_Finn23 wrote:Hi

I joined the forum a few months ago and have been gathering lots of helpful information here, as well as on migri and UK gov website.

My husband (UK/EU citizen) has accepted a job offer in Helsinki and is already making steps to get his residence permit etc. sorted. He will go out before me, will stay with a family friend, sort out accommodation and then I will go over with our dogs (I have done extensive reading on what I need to do regarding their passports etc. and how to travel with them).

However, I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be doing. I have never lived in Finland (though I do speak the language and visit fairly regularly) but I do have my citizenship papers which I got in my teens because my mother is Finnish. But I don't think I need a residence permit as I am a citizen..? But I'm sure I have to tell someone that I will be residing there and get my national identification number. I have searched this site for similar scenarios but can't seem to find one that seem to fit my circumstances.

UK is still in EU so no RP for him. He just registers his right of residence.

You just make move notification and inform Kela that you are back. Unless you are ancient you'll have the number already. If you don't know it, you could contact www.maistraatti.fi I suppose.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 pm

I am in exactly this situatuoin and moved a month ago. You don't need residence *permit* but you will need to somehow register that you are now residing in Finland, on either temporary or permanent basis.

When I moved recently, I just filled in the form from the Posti. I can't recall all exact details but it has two sections, one for change of address for post forwarding (only applicable if you live in FInland) and one for change of address through Maistraati. I just filled this in when I was here on holiday in summer, with my prior UK address and my new FInnish address and popped it into he post in the prepaid envelope. When I got here a few weeks later to actually start living, it seemed that I was just registered as living in Finland. If there is something else I need to do I haven't heard about it yet. I have got my tax card, bank account, etc... everything seems find. I still need to register Kela, though.

Are you registered already on the populations system, with your current UK address? I was. Otherwise, I would say you just go to the local Maistraati when you arrive. That can't hurt anyway and I wonder if it is something I should do just to tick all boxes.
Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Upphew wrote:
Tiina_Finn23 wrote:Hi

UK is still in EU so no RP for him. He just registers his right of residence.

You just make move notification and inform Kela that you are back. Unless you are ancient you'll have the number already. If you don't know it, you could contact http://www.maistraatti.fi I suppose.

Ah that makes sense, thank you! :thumbsup: :D

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:33 pm

AnnikaL wrote:I am in exactly this situatuoin and moved a month ago. You don't need residence *permit* but you will need to somehow register that you are now residing in Finland, on either temporary or permanent basis.

When I moved recently, I just filled in the form from the Posti. I can't recall all exact details but it has two sections, one for change of address for post forwarding (only applicable if you live in FInland) and one for change of address through Maistraati. I just filled this in when I was here on holiday in summer, with my prior UK address and my new FInnish address and popped it into he post in the prepaid envelope. When I got here a few weeks later to actually start living, it seemed that I was just registered as living in Finland. If there is something else I need to do I haven't heard about it yet. I have got my tax card, bank account, etc... everything seems find. I still need to register Kela, though.

Are you registered already on the populations system, with your current UK address? I was. Otherwise, I would say you just go to the local Maistraati when you arrive. That can't hurt anyway and I wonder if it is something I should do just to tick all boxes.
That's reassuring to know. Thank you! :P

I think I am on the populations system - that seems to ring a bell. I'm sure I'm registered using my old address i.e. my mum's current address come to think of it. I will have a good look through my paperwork tonight (something I should've done already!!) Think I put that off while I was busy confusing myself online... :oops: