A small business in Helsinki. I ask for help.

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rinso

Re: A small business in Helsinki. I ask for help.

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am

For two families (I and my wife, my wife's dad and my wife's mother.), We will generate 4,400 euros. 1000 euros taxes.
That's not enough for residence permits for two adult couples.
And will the tax authorities have questions?
Yes.
Do I have to cancel my plans? I already know that this is a big problem for me, but that does not mean that I will back down.
Well you're in for a roller-coaster.
But keep us informed how it goes.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:32 am

wolf80 wrote:As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as 'business immigration'. You can only start a company in Finland if you have a residence permit in Finland, the EU or an EEA-country. If you want to found a subusidiary of your company, it again needs to be located within the EEA. So are you using a Finnish business partner?
You don't need a residence permit to start a company. You do need a board member who has residence in EEA.

Vlad_Lapshov

Post by Vlad_Lapshov » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you very much for your answers, for your advice!

I will listen in your words and will decide the important things about which you said.

Vallu98

Post by Vallu98 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am

I would not like to destroy your enthusiasm but many people at the forum pointed out some serious drawbacks in your plan. Company registration is a matter of 1-2 days in Finland and costs very little (a couple of hundreds euros + initial capital). The key question is what you will do with that. It is a legitimate thing to stay when your business generates stable cashflow. Having company as such does not solve the problem. Anyone who claims the opposite - a lier (=immigration lawyers).

If I were you I would start with moving alone, testing the market and if everything goes as planned - moved the rest of your family. I doubt you will ever be able to move your wife's parents (who in clear mind would do so :). They are not considered a family will be able to stay here only 180 days/year. There were a few cases when such parents were deported despite full financial support from their children.

The entire Finland is 5m people (less than SPb), with long distances (=expensive distribution), entry ticket to retailers is not cheap. To compete your product must be cheap and/or of exceptional quality. Do not forget retailers also want their margin. Think carefully as immigration is a long and often painful process. Good luck!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am

Vlad_Lapshov wrote:
Rosamunda wrote:You will also be competing with all the shopping malls and their chains: H&M, Zara etc and the sports stores (XXL, Budget Sport, Intersport, Stadium etc), not to mention S-Group (Sokos etc) and Kesko and all the online stores. The retail sector is over-heating.
No, you did not understand correctly. We do not want to open stores.
We are producers of our goods ourselves (children's hats).
We are suppliers. We sell our products to retailers and they already sell it.
Do you think this product is in demand?
I did understand that you are producers. But what I was trying to say is that your product will have to compete in what is already a very crowded, over-heated market. Yes, kids wear hats. But you can buy hats for children in all those stores I mentioned, and also in supermarkets. There are also thousands of mummo (бабушка) making hats for children and selling them in markets, and craft fairs. Your product would have to be VERY special to get noticed and even then, the Finnish market is small. If you distribute through retailers, your margins will be small. So it would be better o sell direct through your own webstore. Test the market by creating a webstore in Finnish to see if it generates any interest. If it works out, you might be able to get some retailers interested in your product. There are many people in Finland who run small handicraft, design, etc businesses alongside another job. It would be more realistic for one of you to look for a job here - some kind of salaried employment, and then the other spouse starts up the hat business.

mdn

Post by mdn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:24 am

Regarding to 'kid hats' etc. :)
Very popular Molo kids brand produces a lot at Ukraine: "Yes, we produce a part of our clothing in Ukraine through a Danish-owned factory, based on a fabric that comes from either Turkey or Italy". (I had been surprised when I saw 'Made in Ukraine' label on that 'handicap' hat for my daughter).
So of course there is chance, but not in case. :)

Anyway if somebody do not understand - 99% he is speaking about fake income, just for an immigration, with full income from Russia. But it should be much more hidden in this case - no need to be in Finland. And 4400 euro is not enough.
To topic starter: there are less than 100 such 'Oy' cases each year, and each case is investigated deeply. 90% luck on 1st residence permit (for single owners), less than 10% luck on extension.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:24 pm

I don't think this will help op, but startups will have it easier (probably)in next year: http://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/tyoelama/ ... ta-6680274
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.