Bringing a car to Finland from Lithuania

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Simulacra

Post by Simulacra » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Hello guys,

I just moved to Finland from Lithuania, got a right for residence and Finnish ID. I want to use my car from Lithuania in Finland temporarily (for 6-7 months) - do you I have to register it here in Finland it despite its temporal use? I would apprieciate your advice very much!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Bringing a car to Finland from Lithuania

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Yes, you will have to register and pay tax. When residing in Finland, tax-free use of a car registered outside Finland is limited to 14 days for each calendar year.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Just drive it without a problem, you need to register it in Finland if you live "permanently" only. E.g. there are a lot of people from Estonia coming and working for years in Finland and they never change their Estonia's plates.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 pm

tavastia wrote:E.g. there are a lot of people from Estonia coming and working for years in Finland and they never change their Estonia's plates.
Yes, and breaking the law while doing it.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 pm

For few months nobody will care, very seldom they do checks on those foreign cars. All the Estonia cars do you think are here on holiday?
Nop are working here and living here for years, and using the roads we pay heavy taxes. And if they catch them what can be happening? Register the car in X days or remove it from the country in Y days.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 am

Register the car in X days or remove it from the country in Y days.
X and Y are more like 24 hours.