Staying abroad for 5 months-Eligible for Parental Allowance

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
popeyeps

Post by popeyeps » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Hello,

We are a couple from non-EU country and both working in Finland for past 4 years in IT sector.
We have been blessed with a baby 2 months ago in Finland and currently I am receiving Kela maternity allowance.
We are planning to visit our home country for 5 months (yes, quite long time, to be with our family) and planning to move from Finland before the parental allowance pay period starts.
We are not going to be covered under our home country's social security.
I am wondering if Kela provides parental allowance during our stay abroad with this case.

I have gone through this Kela page http://www.kela.fi/web/en/family-benefi ... er-country and it actually confused me.
If, while receiving parental allowance, you move from Finland to another EU or EEA country or to Switzerland, your family benefit will be paid as long as you remain entitled to it. Persons who move abroad while receiving parental allowance are paid benefits from Finland regardless of whether the allowance is based on previous income or paid to the minimum amount. However, parental allowances are usually not paid if the payment period does not start until after the move to another EU or EEA country or Switzerland.
Is the one which I have highlighted in 'bold' meant for those who are moving to EU/EEA country/Switzerland before the parental allowance pay period starts and not for non-EU country. And the below mentioned quote is the one actually meant for non-EU country. That means I will be getting parental allowance even if we move from Finland before the parental allowance pay period starts. Or am i wrong in the interpretation?
Persons who move to some other country than an EU or EEA country or Switzerland can be paid parental allowances from Finland if the person is still covered under the Finnish social security system. The rule concerns temporary stays abroad, i.e. that last for less than one year. For instance posted workers, students and civil servants are also entitled to parental allowances even if the stay abroad lasts for more than one year. Family members are also eligible. Payment of the allowance will end on the date of moving abroad if you are no longer covered under the Finnish social security system.
I have booked a meeting with Kela which is in 2 weeks but would like to know if someone has clarity on this topic to plan our travel beforehand.
Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Staying abroad for 5 months-Eligible for Parental Allowa

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:58 pm

popeyeps wrote: Is the one which I have highlighted in 'bold' meant for those who are moving to EU/EEA country/Switzerland before the parental allowance pay period starts and not for non-EU country. And the below mentioned quote is the one actually meant for non-EU country. That means I will be getting parental allowance even if we move from Finland before the parental allowance pay period starts. Or am i wrong in the interpretation?
Yes there are different rules based on where you move. Inside EU/EEA you can only be covered by a single country at a time.