'Outer Space' English

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

'Outer Space' English

Post by harryc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Did Finland win the competition for this organization because they would permit Englaish language gibberish - or maybe that Finns wouldn't notice the nonsense?

The European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats

'Outer Space' English

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

israelrt

Re: 'Outer Space' English

Post by israelrt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

I assume that Russia's well known world class abilities in hybrid warfare are the reasons for it being situated in Finland.
Russia's ongoing attack on Ukraine is a superb example of hybrid warfare
In addition, some of ISIS's attacks in Syria and Iraq used hybrid techniques to excellent effect

The most recent iteration of the NATO Capstone Concept defines hybrid threats as,
“those posed by adversaries, with the ability to simultaneously employ conventional and non-conventional means adaptively in pursuit of their objectives.”

Last edited by israelrt on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 pm

I was only referring to the phrasing of the name in English - particularly the use of the word 'Excellence'

They would have had better luck throwing darts at a dictionary!

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:55 pm

harryc wrote:I was only referring to the phrasing of the name in English - particularly the use of the word 'Excellence'
You've been out of the workplace too long harryc. "Centre of Excellence" is used all over the place.

I'm just relieved it wasn't, "Center of Excellence". Now that would make my eyes bleed.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Sorry - workplaces I'm in don't use such terms of self-aggrandizement.

btw - the Wiki article is 'Center'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_excellence

I wonder how they find people with one arm so much longer than the other that they can pat themselves on the back

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

harryc wrote: btw - the Wiki article is 'Center'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_excellence
Which is understandable and totally acceptable, seeing as the term itself originated in America :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:19 pm

the term itself originated in America
No doubt coined by the Chief Self-Aggrandizer - Dotard Drumpf.

israelrt

Post by israelrt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 pm

harryc wrote:I was only referring to the phrasing of the name in English - particularly the use of the word 'Excellence'

They would have had better luck throwing darts at a dictionary!
Googling "Centre of Excellence" returns 62,800,000 results.
Languages do evolve.
Very few of us still speak like Chaucer or even like Dr Samuel Johnson.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm not referring to Beowulf!

I am talking about using language for shameful SELF-HYPE!

How can any respectable institution judge THEMSELVES in that they ludicrously put 'Excellence' in their OWN NAME?

The world has not yet, hopefully, become a series of Trump 'Universities.'

PJG

Post by PJG » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:00 am

You know the weekend has arrived when there's some pointless whinge from HarryC :lol:

Centre of Excellence is in common use throughout the english speaking world.

I really don't understand where you see a problem. Do you have nothing better to do than get annoyed or outraged by petty little thoughts?

The_Pyat

Post by The_Pyat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:02 am

"center for excellence in..." is an American euphemism for "drain down which foundation moneys flow."

During the coverage of the recent hurricanes, the American weathermen seemed to borrow from JK Rowling as they spoke of The Cone of Uncertainty and The Wall of Destruction.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 am

Hardly 'petty'

According to your attitude - actors can award themselves their own Oscars, etc. They just have to advertise themselves as being an 'excellent'' actor!

Because there are inhabitants of the Planet acccepting something because something has become 'common' is really inane. 63 million voted for Dotard Drumpf - and is therefore acceptable?

Non, monsieur!

++

Or should we wait for your earth-shattering expertise on crying kids - or the use of bluetooth.

I should also tell that we don't appreciate your putting up posts with HUGE POSTER styles - eg your using half a page with a definition of insanilty that 500 million people already know.

Keep posting!

PJG

Post by PJG » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Wow Harry,

You cared so much, you looked through everything else I've posted.

Petty, through and through.

I also couldn't give two of the proverbial penile insertions what you appreciate in a post, be it a 'poster' which ridicules you or a tongue in cheek reply to something else. It's pretty obvious that you take yourself far too seriously, while few others can be faulted for making the same mistake as far as you would be concerned.

Harry, you are a grumpy crank, just looking to complain about anything that crosses your browser tab.

It's also worth pointing out to you that your frequent and generally poorly executed attempts at sarcasm are entirely appropriate, given that sarcasm is indeed the lowest form of wit.

Well, you're half way there anyway.

GFY.

I
harryc wrote:Hardly 'petty'

According to your attitude - actors can award themselves their own Oscars, etc. They just have to advertise themselves as being an 'excellent'' actor!

Because there are inhabitants of the Planet acccepting something because something has become 'common' is really inane. 63 million voted for Dotard Drumpf - and is therefore acceptable?

Non, monsieur!

++

Or should we wait for your earth-shattering expertise on crying kids - or the use of bluetooth.

I should also tell that we don't appreciate your putting up posts with HUGE POSTER styles - eg your using half a page with a definition of insanilty that 500 million people already know.

Keep posting!

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:12 am

Think about writing coherent and cogent English - or any other language. It could change your life.

And if you 'excel' in crying babies or about eating up half a page of a forum with a childish poster - go ahead - don't expect any congratulations.

Just put people on 'ignore' that might exercise/challenge your brain.

See ya later - or not.

PJG

Post by PJG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am

Harry,

I get the distinct impression from your reply that you are are utterly intoxicated by the obnoxious exuberance of your own verbocity.

While I am loathe the criticise the English language skills exhibited by many Finns, it’s ridiculous that you see fit to comment on mine, given how poorly presented your own are on this forum.

Harry, the conceit and arrogance you exude and that know it all attitude you project is entirely misplaced. There is little to like and nothing to respect in your posts. I would suggest you examine your own posting style before criticising mine.

You are cordially invited to GFY.