One return ticket or 2 one way tickets

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
onlyforgame

Post by onlyforgame » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi guys,

It's me again to ask for some advice from you guys. So in the summer, I found out I got pregnant with my fiancee then when we were in our home country (asia). We decided to get married so he can move to Finland with me and my baby. I have duo citizenship so I invited him to come first since it would take forever if we apply and wait for his RP. Our intention is that he comes here on a visa for visiting family and then he will apply for RP here in finland (we clearly stated it on the visa application). I'd like to ask if it is possible to buy 2 one way ticket instead of a return ticket (which is required when you travel to schengen areas) because if everything goes well then we just cancel the ticket back to our home city and get refund.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: One return ticket or 2 one way tickets

Post by tavastia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes, you can try with Norwegian or with companies which allow buying different ticket class on the flight segments. E.g. you will buy a cheap not- changeable part from Asia to Helsinki and return will be more flexible and refundable for free or with a small fee. After you arrive here you just cancel the return and get the money back. Is possible at least to these airlines: Lufthansa, Qatar, Finnair, Norwegian and others I believe. You may have to use their websites to purchase the flight as you can see the conditions better than using travel agencies.

But if you are Finnish citizen there is no requirement for him to have a return ticket or valid travel insurance.

onlyforgame

Post by onlyforgame » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm

tavastia wrote:Yes, you can try with Norwegian or with companies which allow buying different ticket class on the flight segments. E.g. you will buy a cheap not- changeable part from Asia to Helsinki and return will be more flexible and refundable for free or with a small fee. After you arrive here you just cancel the return and get the money back. Is possible at least to these airlines: Lufthansa, Qatar, Finnair, Norwegian and others I believe. You may have to use their websites to purchase the flight as you can see the conditions better than using travel agencies.

But if you are Finnish citizen there is no requirement for him to have a return ticket or valid travel insurance.
Are you sure about the last sentence? He is my husband but I'm not sure if he is able to enter Finland with only one way ticket. After all, he just has a visiting visa. Anyways thank you so much

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Each country may have different visa rules but at least for Thais is not needed: http://www.finland.or.th/public/downloa ... A6C59CEEF}

curiousgirl

Post by curiousgirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Two way ticket is absolutely required. I bought a cancellable ticket for returning from local agent. Costed like 10 euros

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Well 10€... Was from Tallinn? :)

curiousgirl

Post by curiousgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 am

tavastia wrote:Well 10€... Was from Tallinn? :)
:D No. It was from India. It works like we just pay the fees to the agent. Agent books the ticket on his own and cancels it just before the date of flying.
These are known as dummy tickets. You cannot get them online. You can only get them from local agents.
I came here to Finland in July on visa. Then me and my boyfriend got married here in maistraatti in august. And I filed my resident permit. My visa expired in September. I am now waiting for my resident permit.

curiousgirl

Post by curiousgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 am

tavastia wrote:Each country may have different visa rules but at least for Thais is not needed: http://www.finland.or.th/public/downloa ... A6C59CEEF}
True. EU citizens don't require a return ticket. As per law if there is sufficient balance in account for return ticket, it's enough. I had initially not given return ticket in my visa application. I had sufficient balance. But they asked for return ticket as supplementary document. It's country specific.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm

No. It was from India. It works like we just pay the fees to the agent. Agent books the ticket on his own and cancels it just before the date of flying.
These are known as dummy tickets. You cannot get them online. You can only get them from local agents.
Well, that is because they do a booking and don't pay for it, print the booking and give it to you. You can do it only for example to Turkish airlines.
However, some embassies requires e-ticket number, not only booking code, for the reservation which can be also checked online, e.g. in Amadeus system.
E-ticket number is generated only when ticket is purchased.

onlyforgame

Post by onlyforgame » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm

I've tried to contact different airlines about the refund on the inbound flight but it's very confusing. Most of them do not have refund for partially used ticket, and some if we buy business class and there will be penalty fee also :(

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

If you buy online with finnair, lufthansa, norwegian and few others you can choose for each segment how flexible the ticket will be.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm

tavastia wrote:If you buy online with finnair, lufthansa, norwegian and few others you can choose for each segment how flexible the ticket will be.
Don’t know about other airlines, but with finnair the most restrictive segment rules apply to the whole reservation.