Working abroad

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
pleased

Working abroad

Post by pleased » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 pm

I have some trouble with unemployment benefit.

I am Finnish citizen and worked in Estonia for 3 years. But I always LIVE in Finland and only traveled to Estonia about 15 days a year.

Problem was that I did not apply for pay my social security fees to Finland, because I did not know that kind of thing.

From which country can I apply for unemployment benefit? Estonia or Finland? What are the possible sums? (no trade union for that)

If Estonia gives me too few and not enough for my living expenses, what benefit can I get from Finland?

How about future, if I live in Finland, and Estonia does not pay me anything, can I apply for unemployment benefit in Finland?

Thank you advance!

Working abroad

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Working abroad

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 am

pleased wrote: If Estonia gives me too few and not enough for my living expenses, what benefit can I get from Finland?

How about future, if I live in Finland, and Estonia does not pay me anything, can I apply for unemployment benefit in Finland?
Finnish citizens can always apply for labor market subsidy from Finland when they are resident in Finland.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Interesting, a Finnish citizen here asking about social benefits which he seemed to have forgotten about while working in Estonia but now remembers.

martimasters

Post by martimasters » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Rick, it's easy to overlook the fine points of KELA when you have to work or live outside of FInland for awhile. But 15 days a year does not change your residency unless you actually moved to Estonia. I think everyone here should be able to ask questions and we should all be nice and polite in the way we reply. We should also keep in mind that English is not a Finn's mother tongue, so sarcasm or joking night not be taken the right way.

Post by 007 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm

pleased wrote:I have some trouble with unemployment benefit.

I am Finnish citizen and worked in Estonia for 3 years. But I always LIVE in Finland and only traveled to Estonia about 15 days a year.

Problem was that I did not apply for pay my social security fees to Finland, because I did not know that kind of thing.

From which country can I apply for unemployment benefit? Estonia or Finland? What are the possible sums? (no trade union for that)

If Estonia gives me too few and not enough for my living expenses, what benefit can I get from Finland?

Thank you advance!
You don't even live in Estonia and working 15 days a year there won't get you unemployment benefits, I am sure.

So, you should go and talk with TE-toimisto and KELA in Finland as you are a resident of Finland. In other to get unemployment benefits, you must be registered there as a job-seeker. If you tell them that you are working in Estonia, then that might complicate a thing or two as they will want some extra papers.

In any case, you should contact TE-toimisto. In fact, you should also contact Estonian employment office since you've been working there.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

It was not sarcasme or joke, I just do not see the issue that a finnish citizen is asking here about social benefits. But yes the finnish citizens can be very fragile. I used to be fragile too before I moved here.