Getting Married While A Tourist & Applying for Residence..

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sunnie24

Post by sunnie24 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello, I am an American planning to get married to my fiance on my upcoming trip to Finland.

He suggested I move to Finland on my upcoming trip, get married and apply for residence while there. He says it's easier. I would just like a second opinion on the matter.

I have read different rules on the topic on this forum. Some say it's best to get married and apply for residence permit while in the USA, others say it's easier to do it while in Finland.

Will I be able to stay if I get married while in Finland while immigration processes the permit request? I've already been to Finland, so I do not have a full 90 days to stay in the country. I've read the the residence permit can take 9 months!

If I am able to stay, can I leave the country for a few weeks to travel (honeymoon) or do I have to stay until the permit is processed?

Any advice on the topic will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Getting Married While A Tourist & Applying for Residence

Post by Piet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:15 pm

If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

sunnie24

Post by sunnie24 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 am

That doesn't help me with my specific question.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 am

This topic was discussed many times before, it does not matter you from USA or from India, you can apply for residence permit in Finland and wait for the decision. However, you cannot do anything while waiting as you are still tourist, you don't get personal identity number until your RP is issued. Also make sure you have valid travel insurance, even you are not required to have one if you marry a Finnish citizen, at local hospital things may look different than into the internet. Good luck!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am

sunnie24 wrote:If I am able to stay, can I leave the country for a few weeks to travel (honeymoon) or do I have to stay until the permit is processed?
Depends. You can always leave, coming back is the question. If you have used all your 90 days then you won't be coming back. You need either to have unused days of the 90 days visa free period, visa or residence permit in order to get in.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

sunnie24

Post by sunnie24 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:28 am

tavastia wrote:This topic was discussed many times before, it does not matter you from USA or from India, you can apply for residence permit in Finland and wait for the decision. However, you cannot do anything while waiting as you are still tourist, you don't get personal identity number until your RP is issued. Also make sure you have valid travel insurance, even you are not required to have one if you marry a Finnish citizen, at local hospital things may look different than into the internet. Good luck!
Thank you!

sunnie24

Post by sunnie24 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 am

Upphew wrote:
sunnie24 wrote:If I am able to stay, can I leave the country for a few weeks to travel (honeymoon) or do I have to stay until the permit is processed?
Depends. You can always leave, coming back is the question. If you have used all your 90 days then you won't be coming back. You need either to have unused days of the 90 days visa free period, visa or residence permit in order to get in.
Thanks!