Discrimination on people

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
rinso

Re: Discrimination on people with chronic disease in Finland

Post by rinso » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 am

Would I be able to get a job?
Probably not as a medical professional. Otherwise your job chances mostly depend on your Finnish language skills.
Will there be any compulsory health check up (like blood test) before work
For some professions; yes.
will they deport me?
No, but you might end up without an income and decide to leave on your own.
The discrimination that I had makes me so afraid that people will find out about my disease and isolate me.
For some people it can be a reason to avoid you. But that will be exceptions.
Finns don't interact much with others so it might look that way while it is normal Finnish behaviour.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

judderbar

Post by judderbar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 am

If you dont like being isolated then dont come to Finland.

People are fairly narrow minded here, like in many other places, and they dont seem to see any reason to mix socially outside of established circles - which includes contact with neighbours. They might say hello but that is all you get. I think people who want social contact are perhaps seen as weak minded lonely people or something?

You are better off being isolated in the country you already know than doing the same in a country like Finland. Finland is a hard place to integrate into.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 pm

judderbar wrote:People are fairly narrow minded here, like in many other places, and they dont seem to see any reason to mix socially outside of established circles - which includes contact with neighbours. They might say hello but that is all you get. I think people who want social contact are perhaps seen as weak minded lonely people or something?

Finnish people are not narrowminded, they are actually pretty open towards foreigners compared to many other countries. Once the system said you have a right to be in the country, practically everybody will accept you and your right to be here.

Finns are careful people and very particular with social interaction, but that has nothing to do with being narrowminded. Finns are not group people, they enjoy living alone. Their happy place is the summer house, with nobody else around than the immediate family. Therefore they try to live in a way that allows everybody involved to pretend that there are no other people. That is why you can live in an apartment complex for years without ever seeing your neighbors. It is a social norm, if not a codex, Finns agree on and live by.

Finns also don't like to be forced to social interaction. They don't enjoy the pressure that these situations bring, and also often they are not sure how to react. Nevertheless, Finns are very open and friendly people when they can choose themselves when to interact with new people.

As a foreigner and guest in the country, you should try to understand that and accept it. I never get it why people come to a country and start criticizing the culture and mentality of the people the minute they are off the plane. If you don't like it you can leave.

judderbar

Post by judderbar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 am

wolf80 wrote:
judderbar wrote:People are fairly narrow minded here, like in many other places, and they dont seem to see any reason to mix socially outside of established circles - which includes contact with neighbours. They might say hello but that is all you get. I think people who want social contact are perhaps seen as weak minded lonely people or something?

Finnish people are not narrowminded, they are actually pretty open towards foreigners compared to many other countries. Once the system said you have a right to be in the country, practically everybody will accept you and your right to be here.

Finns are careful people and very particular with social interaction, but that has nothing to do with being narrowminded. Finns are not group people, they enjoy living alone. Their happy place is the summer house, with nobody else around than the immediate family. Therefore they try to live in a way that allows everybody involved to pretend that there are no other people. That is why you can live in an apartment complex for years without ever seeing your neighbors. It is a social norm, if not a codex, Finns agree on and live by.

Finns also don't like to be forced to social interaction. They don't enjoy the pressure that these situations bring, and also often they are not sure how to react. Nevertheless, Finns are very open and friendly people when they can choose themselves when to interact with new people.

As a foreigner and guest in the country, you should try to understand that and accept it. I never get it why people come to a country and start criticizing the culture and mentality of the people the minute they are off the plane. If you don't like it you can leave.
I seem to have got close to how it is.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 pm

judderbar wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 am

I seem to have got close to how it is.
If you think so, then you didn't understand at all what I was trying to tell you.

This conversation is pointless. I just don't get why people come to Finland, don't even try to understand culture and mentality, and then complain so much about it. If you don't like how people are here, just leave.

judderbar

Post by judderbar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm

I am not the sort of person who just leaves a wife and child because of my own personal difficulties. I came here from New Zealand. I am already fairly well protected by my skin colour but my wife and child are extremely white which would make such a harsh solar environment difficult for them. My wife skin has been damaged by solar exposure during childhood.

Leaving is the easier option for me, I suppose.

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

It is certainly an introverted culture, where extraverts will probably not feel all too well. The narrow-mindedness of the modern extraverted cultures often baffles me, though. We only know since about a century that both traits are just plain normal variations in the human being. That said, I find that the Finns are very peculiar in one aspect: very many of them like honesty, and integrity. They dislike hubris, hyperbole, and fake masks. When they sense your innermost core/honesty, the likelihood of winning friends is high. But judderbar is certainly right in one thing, if you need a lot of social interaction, then Finland is probably not the right country.

If OP is set on Finland, I would strongly advise to be open about the virus, including what he/she does to deal with it in a safe manner. Mind the no-hyperbole rule in that, as well, though. 1 mention is usually enough, you will not win more sympathy with mention #5-10, quite the opposite. Besides medical professions, I figure most professions where the health test is needed, might also mind, like restaurant, bar etc. Whether it is outright legally required, or not. But if OP has say an office job, and is more the introvert type, I think Finland could fit very well.

burak25

Post by burak25 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 am

wolf80 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 pm

That is not true. That is so far from truth. Finns are probably the closest, most conservative society in Nordics and rich EU countries.