moving to helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
saramelendro

moving to helsinki

Post by saramelendro » Thu May 08, 2003 6:20 pm

hello everybody,

I have just joined this list and I'm not sure I'm doing this right. Anyway, my first message here is a cry for help. I'm moving to Helsinki at the end of June for (originally) 6 months and I need to find accomodation which is proving very challenging. Although I'll be at University the student accomodation seem not to be able to find me a place for the months I'll be there (July-december) and I've tried through different webpages, but of course at the crucial moment of actual housing list they are all in Finnish, which as you may guess I don't speak at all. So, I'm quite desperate really. Can anyone offer any help? advice of websites in English? anything really.

thanks,
sara.

moving to helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Thu May 08, 2003 6:29 pm

Hi Sara,

Living in Helsinki is not cheap and if you are looking to rent a private flat, have about €1000 ready for outlay as you need to give 2 months rent as a deposit plus the 1st month's rent.

Also, don't tell you're prospective landlord how long you will be here for - just say you are looking for a flat and you don't know how long you are going to be there and then they might be more likely to let you the place than if it's just for a few months.

Cheers,

Neil.

anja

Post by anja » Thu May 08, 2003 8:24 pm

I got this email through the architect guild (aka my school), I hope it helps!

small, but pretty flat on the most beautiful spot of kallio
(torkkelinmäki) for rent from june to august.
excellent connections to the centre, to otaniemi and to arabia - tram 1,3,6,7; metro; lots of buslines. the flat is furnished and well equipped, including microwave oven & laundry machine, vacuum cleaner and if you like, pots&plates etc. there is also a phone line for internet access. the rent is 410,- e/month, incl. water.

040-5707792
jaanawoll AT web.de
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

anja

Post by anja » Thu May 08, 2003 8:26 pm

also:

Beautiful studio flat in penthouse overlooking Töölönlahti, Finlandia Talo,
Kiasma etc. in Kallio. Own bathroom and front door. Approx 25sqm. Available
for July. €329/month. please e mail: georgelovett AT hotmail.com
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

neil

Post by neil » Thu May 08, 2003 8:50 pm

small, but pretty flat on the most beautiful spot of kallio
(torkkelinmäki) for rent from june to august.
Erm, I know someone who owns a flat on Torkkelinmaki and I would think describing it as "the most beautiful spot of Kallio" is perhaps a slight exaggeration.

I guess you could also call it the "cultural centre" (alcoholic capital) together with "lively nightlife" (fights, white trash) all over the place :P Of course not all of Kallio is like that, but it certainly has more than its fair share.

daive

Post by daive » Thu May 08, 2003 9:05 pm

lets try not to put the poor girl off before she gets here! :twisted:

That flat sounds quite a nice little weekend flat right centrally based too, sounds tempting!

But for 329euros you probably only get "Own bathroom and front door. Approx 25sqm"!!

Motu

Post by Motu » Thu May 08, 2003 9:07 pm

Well, I live in Kallio - Kolmas Linja - near Hakaniemi. I have to say that it is not the most beautiful location. There are some strange poeple living in my neighbourhood, but there are also lots of students and other young people.

daive

wonderful Kallio

Post by daive » Thu May 08, 2003 9:23 pm

But it is a great place if you are looking for Happy Hour drinking between the hours of 9am and 11am!! Perfect hair of the dog remedy :lol: !

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu May 08, 2003 11:26 pm

Hi Sara,

I dont have anything on accommodation, but i just wanted to let you know you'll be alright here :D

I was an exchange student myself a few years back and now Im here for good with gorgeous finnish boyfriend. I came over all on my own, but everyone is really friendly and very helpful so I settled in quickly.

If youve got any worries or want to know anything, just ask away :D

By the way, Im from Blackpool :D So perhaps we shall have to meet up sometime once youve got settled in a bit!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri May 09, 2003 10:34 am

Move to Vantaa, the Myyrmäki area. Theres a lot of eligible bachelors here :roll:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

gavin

Post by gavin » Fri May 09, 2003 11:01 am

Hank W. wrote:Move to Vantaa, the Myyrmäki area. Theres a lot of eligible bachelors here :roll:
Ha! There might be bachelors there, but the ones I know aren't so eligable (except for psychatric help, perhaps) :wink: :twisted:

Cheers
Gavin

fred.ash

moving to Helsinki

Post by fred.ash » Fri May 09, 2003 2:37 pm

Hi Sara

Check your private messages, I sent some information about a place to rent to you.

Fred.

saramelendro

flat in helsinki

Post by saramelendro » Fri May 09, 2003 4:08 pm

Hiya,

I just wanted to thank everybody who has repleid to my message, what a bunch of nice people, thanx!!.

In the flat business, I've got a few replies but most people seem to be looking for someone for just 1 or 2 months in the summer, but I'm going there for 6 months (from July to december) and it seems not a very likely period, but I keep trying.

Someone replied form Blackpool: hello there! I'm leaving now in Exeter, but I used to live in Lancaster and of course I visited your famous hometown!.

Thanx again to everyone, hope to meet some of you once I get there. (how is it to live there without speaking finnish? I'm slightly worried).

P.S. (special thanx to neil who put my add around, ta)

Cheers,
Sara.

gavin

Re: flat in helsinki

Post by gavin » Fri May 09, 2003 4:25 pm

saramelendro wrote:Thanx again to everyone, hope to meet some of you once I get there. (how is it to live there without speaking finnish? I'm slightly worried).

Cheers,
Sara.
Hi Sara

No need to worry. You can easily survive with English. Many Finns understand it, even if it takes a couple of beers before they start speaking :wink:

There are many people on the board who are working here without speaking Finnish, but of course, the more you know the easier it is...

I'm sure you will do just fine. I first came to Finland alone to study in Joensuu, without a single word of Finnish. Was supposed to be here for 3 months, stayed for 6 before they had to drag me kicking and screaming back to Scotland to finish my degree!

Cheers
Gavin

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed May 14, 2003 12:28 pm

Sara-
where are you going to be studying?

If you are on an exchange then they will usually find you a place through HOAS. Or you can contact HOAS directly. There web page in English: http://www.hoas.fi/web/uut_inet.nsf/Fra ... &01&kaikki

I think that the student union of your university will also have accommodation.

You should be able to get a nice place, usually a shared two or three bedroom place for less than $150 per month.

Botom line, shake the International Deoartment of your Finnish University. Do it now, there will be plenty of accommodation as the Finnish students will not have rented for the Fall semester yet.
Also, ask the International Department about Finns who are going overseas on echange. They often want to find a tenant for their place whilst they are away.