RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Post Reply
irreversible
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by irreversible » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi all,

So it has finally happened. What I was fearing about the most, and even more - a refusal of Student residence permit extension, along with a 2 year ban. Here how it happened.

My study performance had been slowed down due to mental problems, that had been documented by a school nurse. As of now, my study right is to be over towards the end of year 2018. Applying to residence permit extension, my decision have not been available online; rather it was "it will be served to you by authorities" notification. I knew where this was going, but was hoping until the very last second.

I had been invited to a Poliisi / Migri station, where I had been offered a translator, in case I don't speak English (and that's considering that one has to pass an English test before coming to Finland. But oh well.); I had been informed face to face about my decision, among with a ban, and a rough translation of a decision. Like, and I mean really rough. It was long and finnish, with all the references to Alien Acts. I have then signed a paper that I had been informed about the decision, and I have some amount of time to say my answer to all of this (comply and leave voluntiraly; deny and get forcefully removed from a country or to appeal).

I won't go into detail what exactly I did wrong (however can do that in private manner if someone is interested), but there are a few circumstances that had been taken into consideration in a bad way (for me) - for example, last few appointments I had to go a little bit later than my residence permit allowed due to business of police stations, which was explicitly stated on a paper. Or a lack of credit points that I was pursuing at the moment, which wasn't documented officially (they haven't been counted at the time being)!

So, for all of you going through the same thing, feel free to PM and talk about it.
For the rest of forum users, what are my chances of revoking a Schengen-wide ban? Migri offers an MP_3 form for such things. Anyone ever did that? Obviously I would need a lawyer for such things, which I'm currently working on. Any tips, pointers, everything will be very welcome!

My whole life is being ruined because of such strong measure, having a few job interviews that I have been passing, that are looking very good for obtaining a working visa in another EU-state country.

Much appreciated.

UPDATE: As mentioned, not enough of credit points is usually not leading to any bans. Not to be misleading, I have to add this note. Currently looking for legal help as much as possible to have all my questions answered.
Last edited by irreversible on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3731
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by rinso » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:08 am

Or a lack of credit points
A lack of credit points don't get you a ban. You must have done something illegal like giving false information.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:23 am

I'm very sorry this happening to you. It must be a very stressful and distressing experience. Hopefully, with legal counselings, you'd be able to reach a reasonable solution.

Now, having that said, I'm quite bothered about how misleading your post is. I know that you might not have meant to put it that way, but your post is implying that lacking study credits resulted in you getting a 2 year ban. Even if you didn't mean to, this makes you look a liar in the eyes of anybody who knows anything about immigration laws and rules. To everybody else, you're just causing them extra stress. I suspect that you were disingenuous and misleading in your application, just like you're being in this post, which resulted in your refusal and ban.

Just to set the record straight for anybody who might get the wrong idea from this thread: No, having too few ECTS in your study year will NOT get you a ban. To go even further, if you have any good explanation backed by anything official (school nurse testimony, a paper from a mental healthcare professional, proof that your father died, etc.) it's highly unlikely you'll even get a refusal and it's very likely you'll get your RP extended anyway.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.


irreversible
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by irreversible » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:23 am
I'm very sorry this happening to you. It must be a very stressful and distressing experience. Hopefully, with legal counselings, you'd be able to reach a reasonable solution.

Now, having that said, I'm quite bothered about how misleading your post is. I know that you might not have meant to put it that way, but your post is implying that lacking study credits resulted in you getting a 2 year ban. Even if you didn't mean to, this makes you look a liar in the eyes of anybody who knows anything about immigration laws and rules. To everybody else, you're just causing them extra stress. I suspect that you were disingenuous and misleading in your application, just like you're being in this post, which resulted in your refusal and ban.

Just to set the record straight for anybody who might get the wrong idea from this thread: No, having too few ECTS in your study year will NOT get you a ban. To go even further, if you have any good explanation backed by anything official (school nurse testimony, a paper from a mental healthcare professional, proof that your father died, etc.) it's highly unlikely you'll even get a refusal and it's very likely you'll get your RP extended anyway.
Indeed that wasn't my intention.
I have had school nurse testimony attached to my case, too. Money being probably the most common problem for decisions for students, there is no mention of that in the paper. I had all the money needed for this. The conclusion part states that "we see that you can't finish your studies on time".

However, what has been mentioned, is my overstay when I was applying a couple years ago, where I had to overstay in a country, during very busy times of police stations, back when they handled such matters. Length of an overstay was something very small, less than 10 days. It's important to mention that I applied for an appointment before my residence permit was expired, and I just had to pick what had been available to me. Nonetheless, my permits had been extended without any problem. Imo, this is an abuse of power bringing up events like that, that are no longer relevant to the current case.

Second important thing that I have to mention is that I didn't get an extension of my Study Right in time. This is probably the biggest mistake of mine, of which I am taking responsibility for, as well as some credit points (a significant amount) wasn't registered in the system after my practical training.

I am now obviously looking for legal help as much as I can. While I was sort of expecting a negative decision on studies, a ban is just straight up end of my life, especially considering that I was just getting into working life in EU and had no intention to do any illegal activity.
Last edited by irreversible on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3731
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by rinso » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Overstaying your visa or permit is considered serious. In Finland you only get a ban, but in Thailand you might end up in jail.


irreversible
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by irreversible » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 pm

rinso wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm
Overstaying your visa or permit is considered serious. In Finland you only get a ban, but in Thailand you might end up in jail.
This was overstaying with circumstances that were out of my direct control, not to mention that it didn't make any influence on a decision back then. I am sure that I'm not the only one with such overstay because of business of police stations, I know for certain that some of my classmates had to have such overstay even longer.


biryvih
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 am

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by biryvih » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Naah, I don't believe you for some reason. You must have done something wrong.

While I was studying, I have applied often late and I didn't have any problems. Sometimes I didn't have enough money, but I always had my ECTS covered, and I remember one time my permit was ending and I was struggling with the money, so I went to apply on the last day just left my application and paid the fee but my papers were incomplete and I was well aware of that a month or 2 later I sent all the papers and within a month I got the permit.

So, your story is little strange. I am pretty sure you tried to play with the system and you got screwed while doing that. I am not even sorry for you.


irreversible
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by irreversible » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:18 am

biryvih wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm
Naah, I don't believe you for some reason. You must have done something wrong.

While I was studying, I have applied often late and I didn't have any problems. Sometimes I didn't have enough money, but I always had my ECTS covered, and I remember one time my permit was ending and I was struggling with the money, so I went to apply on the last day just left my application and paid the fee but my papers were incomplete and I was well aware of that a month or 2 later I sent all the papers and within a month I got the permit.

So, your story is little strange. I am pretty sure you tried to play with the system and you got screwed while doing that. I am not even sorry for you.
your opinion is so important for me
want a medal?


biryvih
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 am

Re: RP Refusal (ECTS) + 2 year ban

Post by biryvih » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am

your opinion is so important for me
if it wasn't, you wouldn't feel the need to answer.
want a medal?
Yep, how about in person?


Post Reply