Avoiding 3 month unemployment fund wait?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
te14gb

Post by te14gb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 pm

I've been employed with a company here in Finland for two years and would want to leave the company.

However I understand that in simply resigning, that I wouldn't be able to collect from my unemployment fund (IAET) for three months after resigning.

Without going into detail, it's just not working out for myself and I believe that the company feels the same (although nothing has ever been said). It would be best for both of us to just separate. And yes, I do have a plan to expand a very small side business I do, but would need the unemployment fund protection for at least 6-12 months ;)

What if I approached the company about a mutual separation, where we just agree that I walk away? Is this possible to do and still be able to collect from my unemployment fund, enabling me to waive the three month period?

If not possible, I'm assuming one loophole would be to request a mutual separation that would involve them paying me a one-time "walk-away" payment, equal to three months salary.

Also, should I be hesitant to contact my unemployment union for guidance on this one? Perhaps they'd be looking out for the best interest of the unemployment fund and not me. I assume I should feel perfectly comfortable contacting them about this but just checking the opinion here to cover myself.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Avoiding 3 month unemployment fund wait?

Post by Upphew » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:19 am

te14gb wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 pm
I've been employed with a company here in Finland for two years and would want to leave the company.

However I understand that in simply resigning, that I wouldn't be able to collect from my unemployment fund (IAET) for three months after resigning.

Without going into detail, it's just not working out for myself and I believe that the company feels the same (although nothing has ever been said). It would be best for both of us to just separate. And yes, I do have a plan to expand a very small side business I do, but would need the unemployment fund protection for at least 6-12 months ;)

What if I approached the company about a mutual separation, where we just agree that I walk away? Is this possible to do and still be able to collect from my unemployment fund, enabling me to waive the three month period?

If not possible, I'm assuming one loophole would be to request a mutual separation that would involve them paying me a one-time "walk-away" payment, equal to three months salary.

Also, should I be hesitant to contact my unemployment union for guidance on this one? Perhaps they'd be looking out for the best interest of the unemployment fund and not me. I assume I should feel perfectly comfortable contacting them about this but just checking the opinion here to cover myself.
I'd be more wary about being classed entrepreneur instead of unemployed. Imho you should contact also http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/en/employe ... index.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm

te14gb wrote:

Correct.
te14gb wrote:
Mutal termination counts the same as resigning, you will get a 3 month punishment on your unemployment money. The only chance you have is to convince your company that it would be best to fire you.
te14gb wrote:
Unlikely they would do that. They can as well terminate your contract in 3 months you and have you working these 3 months.
te14gb wrote:
That does not work either. You cannot start a business while being unemployed, otherwise you will lose your benefits. I guess the same would go for continuing and expanding your business. What kind of side-business do you have?

In general, while you are unemployed your job is to find work. You cannot start a business, freelance or study during this time without losing your benefits. You can ask your TE-office worker if you would be allowed to keep your side-business while being unemployed, but I highly doubt it.

te14gb

Post by te14gb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 am

wolf80 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm
Mutal termination counts the same as resigning, you will get a 3 month punishment on your unemployment money. The only chance you have is to convince your company that it would be best to fire you.

Belated thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that being fired would trigger the three month wait for unemployment benefits from my unemployment fund. Is this not the case? I mean if I just start skipping out and not going in or showing up late or doing a bad job in my work just so they'll fire me, there's no wait?

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 am

I just start skipping out and not going in or showing up late or doing a bad job in my work just so they'll fire me
Forcing a termination that way is a risky thing. If you're not just a bad employee but sabotage your function on purpose the employer might consider other legal actions. And remember they already have a two year history about your qualities and attitude. If it suddenly chances they will suspect something.
I would suggest to talk to your boss and make some kind of deal where you're not starving but get some time to develop your business.

te14gb

Post by te14gb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

rinso wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 am
I just start skipping out and not going in or showing up late or doing a bad job in my work just so they'll fire me
Forcing a termination that way is a risky thing. If you're not just a bad employee but sabotage your function on purpose the employer might consider other legal actions. And remember they already have a two year history about your qualities and attitude. If it suddenly chances they will suspect something.
I would suggest to talk to your boss and make some kind of deal where you're not starving but get some time to develop your business.
Thanks you yeah that's kind of what I'm leaning towards here, doing it the right way, not being a total a-hole and pulling a stunt like that but instead saying, "Look we're just not working out. Been here awhile now and it's a struggle for us both. I'm willing to walk away, but am not resigning as it would jeopardize my ability to collect from my unemployment fund."

I want to make sure I'm protecting myself though. But basically if I came in tomorrow and they said," We're letting you go, you're fired as your performance just isn't good enough" I can collect? So as long as it's s not due to sabotage and skipping out, coming late, etc.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Depending on your employer's ethics, you might make yourself look really bad for not only trying to game the system like that, but also for attempting to implicate your employer in your fraudulent activities. Finland is a small country, and words travel fast. Next time a new employer calls your old one for reference checking, your old employer might say "Yes, I confirm that this person has worked for our company", at which stage you can kiss that reference goodbye.

In my opinion, it's not worth it.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

te14gb wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 am
Belated thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that being fired would trigger the three month wait for unemployment benefits from my unemployment fund. Is this not the case? I mean if I just start skipping out and not going in or showing up late or doing a bad job in my work just so they'll fire me, there's no wait?
Firing for bad performance does trigger the three months. Firing for, for example, financial reasons does not.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Just propose the financial annex outsourcing reason and sign a paper that you will not make a problem of it. Every day people are fired on that reason.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Rick1 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 pm
Just propose the financial annex outsourcing reason and sign a paper that you will not make a problem of it. Every day people are fired on that reason.
This would be written evidence that both parties are colluding to commit fraud. Only idiots would sign such a thing. Not saying it wouldn't happen.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Well if you have to be an idiot. Maybe company is happy and he is happy.