Any apps recommendations for learning fi?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike

Post by PepeNero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 am

Terve kaikille,

I'm learning finnish just for fun (no, I'm not a masochist) and I'm somewhere between B1 - B1.2. I've used the Pimsleur audio course, a book and the worddive app for 1 month.
I like worddive but it lacks of grammar lessons and/or building complete sentences. This applies to almost all other apps I know - I don't wanna just learn vocabulary but using them and building whole sentences etc.

Any recommendations?

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Any apps recommendations for learning fi?

Post by metsämurmeli » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm

You could use Anki, and either hope to find a deck from someone else to import, or feed it your own sentences, which you found in dictionairies, or wiktionary, books, etc. I personally add sentences to every word I add, with hint fields, so I can check my knowledge of rektio and all that. - I think the iPhone app costs a small fee, since donations are not a thing in Japan. The android app is maintained by someone else, and is free. Also, I think you need to have it on a comp, and sync from there.

Re: Any apps recommendations for learning fi?

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Which Worddive app are you using for Finnish?

Try the YKI course. It has full sentences (quite simple ones but subject/verb/object) under different topics.
The YKI course is the one that prepares you for the Keski Taso language test which is needed in order to apply for citizenship. Worddive has a special course designed with that particular test in mind.

And then there is the vast warehouse of authentic everyday scenarios Shopping, working life, applying for benefits etc

You can register, or not, it's free either way. Choose a theme eg working life työelämä, then a topic eg kauppa / vaateosasto and you will find short videos for revising vocabulary, and comprehension exercises (multiple choice) ... age-137003 ... age-137237

There is enough stuff in there to keep you busy for a while.