EU Right of Residence Application + Finding a Flat

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Moi!

I will be moving to Finland for my studies at the University of Helsinki in autumn 2018. At the moment, my biggest concern is obtaining housing. However, it seems that for every application I look at, I need a personal ID number. But to obtain the henkilötunnus, I need an address :shock: I plan on arriving early/mid-August, where I'll be staying with a friend for a week, then going to an Airbnb until 1 September, where I hope by then I will have found a place.

I guess my question is the following: can I put down my friend's/the Airbnb address on the EU Right of Residence application, and change my address in the system when I find a more permanent address? Since getting a flat, bank account, university health services, etc, depend on me obtaining the henkilötunnus, I'd rather get it done sooner than later.

This leads me to another question: what is the easiest way to find a flat from abroad without having any Finnish credentials? I joined most of the Facebook groups, and check Vuokraovi and Oikotie every few days. I've also looked into HOAS. My budget is 850 per month, which my friend says is more than enough for a flat within walking distance of the University.

I appreciate all and any tips. Kiitos paljon!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

metsämurmeli

Re: EU Right of Residence Application + Finding a Flat

Post by metsämurmeli » Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 am

Pretty sure your friend's address is enough. Personally, I would not then change it every week, though. You just have to make sure, you get the mail. So if your friend is away for half a year, and you do not have the key, better take the Airbnb address, I guess. As for finding a flat, henkilötunnus is very often not needed, if they see you in person. When you are here, and with that budget, it should really be easy to find something within days, or at most weeks. Bank account, etc. need henkilötunnus, and I strongly suggest to also get the Finnish ID card asap.

With that budget, actually you could also look into forenom.com - they used to have super cheap, super small, super cute apartments, but I later did not find the prices for which I first rented anymore. But with 800 you should find something good. They are amazing, 10/10 would rent again.

Even before I had the henkilötunnus, all the big agents like Vuokraturva, Sato, etc. were happy to add me to their databases. You just need to find a person you can email to directly, because the form asks for the h-tunnus. They can add you manually, though. I would ask, if you should send a PDF documenting passport, your funds, and admittance letter from University. Like everywhere, anything that makes them realize there is a real person, with real funds, and real contracts. ;)

For general info on all the terms etc. I found this page invaluable: https://www.expat-finland.com/housing/index.html - it is really an "all you ever wanted to know" page.

sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 am

So sorry for the late reply, but oh my goodness thank you for the thorough answer!!

My friend's lease is going at least until November, so we're good on the address front, just got to get him to let me use his address for my application haha. What do you mean by Finnish ID card though? I thought you had to at least be a resident to get it?

Forenom is unfortunately too expensive for me. I haven't seen anything that isn't a single room at a hostel for under 1000 euros.

Is receiving the emails the same thing as being added to the database? I receive them from Vuokraovi and Vuokraturva. I contacted Lumo and they told me that the henkilötunnus is necessary to apply for an apartment. I noticed Sato required it on their application too so I haven't contacted them about it, but if I can be added to their database that would be awesome.

I didn't mention this precisely in my original post, but I'm looking for a single studio/one bedroom, not a roommate situation. Would my budget be enough for that? I'm just a bit paranoid because I've lived in some of the world's most expensive cities and that has screwed up my perception of "normal" housing prices haha.

Also, how does one assess their funds? The right of residence has a question about it, but no option to include attachments, at least as far as I've seen.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

metsämurmeli wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 am

With that budget, actually you could also look into forenom.com - they used to have super cheap, super small, super cute apartments, but I later did not find the prices for which I first rented anymore. But with 800 you should find something good. They are amazing, 10/10 would rent again.
I am wondering how long ago that was?? At least for some years now, Forenom is super expensive, normally 140 up to 200 percent of the rent of a normal unfurnished apartment same size/area. They have very strict rental agreements and make the general impression of a rip-off company.

I dislike them specifically for buying up all the available apartments in some of the smaller towns that still have companies that attract outside workforce, making it practically impossible to find normal rental apartments. When 95 % of the available apartments belong to Forenom, you have the choice of renting a completely overpriced apartment or buying a house you might never be able to sell for reasonable money again.

I woul rather sleep in a tent in the forest than rent from that company.

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm

sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 am
My friend's lease is going at least until November, so we're good on the address front, just got to get him to let me use his address for my application haha. What do you mean by Finnish ID card though? I thought you had to at least be a resident to get it?
As I said you just need to make sure you get the snail-mail. Which is not as trivial, as it may sound, so the friend should be aware of the importance. About ID card ... woops, no clue how it is with students. Let me put it like this: if you can get it, get it. It is not an equivalent of passport, as for example in my country of origin, but really just tells everyone and their dog that Finland agrees with your opinion, that you are you, so to speak. :D It just makes everything so much easier, everyone knows which number to write down from the Finnish ID should you ever have to prove your identity, in the post office, or wherever. I waited too long to get mine, and explaining which number on my country's ID means what was getting old really fast.
sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Is receiving the emails the same thing as being added to the database? I receive them from Vuokraovi and Vuokraturva. I contacted Lumo and they told me that the henkilötunnus is necessary to apply for an apartment. I noticed Sato required it on their application too so I haven't contacted them about it, but if I can be added to their database that would be awesome.
If you are receiving emails telling you of apartments that would fit your search criteria, I would guess that means it is OK. With Sato I personally was added before I had the henkilötunnus. Just pick an apartment you are interested in, and write to the dude/dudette from Sato a nice email, explaining your situation. No clue whether I just was lucky. Anyway though, I really think you need not worry about the apartment. When you are here, and can go to the viewings, it is much less of a headache than it seems now.

€850 get you pretty far in Helsinki apartment-wise. It depends quite a lot on the quarter, and close to University it will be more difficult to find something. A bit further away, this would get you a nice 2-room apt with separate kitchen in a quiet quarter. Still Helsinki and pretty close to the center, just not walking distance anymore. You can still find decent 1-room apts for half that, but that needs some serious luck, or hunting skills.
sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Also, how does one assess their funds? The right of residence has a question about it, but no option to include attachments, at least as far as I've seen.
PDF of your bank account. Pretty sure you can add attachments. If all else fails, quote the amount of the bank account, write in an open field that you will gladly send proof by email. And keep the proof.

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm

wolf80 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

I am wondering how long ago that was?? At least for some years now, Forenom is super expensive, normally 140 up to 200 percent of the rent of a normal unfurnished apartment same size/area. They have very strict rental agreements and make the general impression of a rip-off company.

I dislike them specifically for buying up all the available apartments in some of the smaller towns that still have companies that attract outside workforce, making it practically impossible to find normal rental apartments. When 95 % of the available apartments belong to Forenom, you have the choice of renting a completely overpriced apartment or buying a house you might never be able to sell for reasonable money again.

I woul rather sleep in a tent in the forest than rent from that company.
Ouch, that sounds bad. I absolutely LOATH such developments. Always figured the banks' offer to pay old age pensions in exchange for the apartment of the old folks will end up in exactly that market dynamic. Furnished is always more expensive than normal rent, and they offer quite handy services. But double is definitely too much, and dominating the market like that is terrible. Sad. Thanks for the heads-up.

sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 am

I asked my friend earlier today and he said no since it might affect his benefits when the government sees that multiple people have the same address. So I'm assuming that I'll have to wait until I find my own place to get it :|

I'm just really worried about the apartments (as if you couldn't tell haha). I studied abroad in Paris last fall and wasn't able to secure a place before leaving, so I stayed with my mom's friend who's son happened to be studying abroad in England. And I heard from my old boss that her friend's son who got a study place in France had to leave the program because he couldn't find a place to live (I'm sure that this rarely happens though).

Thank you so much for your advice by the way (: Do you have any other tips I should be aware about?