Resident permit renewal after expired permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bhimthapa

Post by bhimthapa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 pm

I have been living in Finland for past 7.5 years. Got my first resident permit last year and this time I renewed after my visa was expired 4 days ago. I was told to stop all my work and wait for the new permit. Am I going to get in trouble and can I apply for Kela assistant for the time being when I am jobless?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Resident permit renewal after expired permit

Post by Upphew » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 am

bhimthapa wrote:I have been living in Finland for past 7.5 years. Got my first resident permit last year and this time I renewed after my visa was expired 4 days ago. I was told to stop all my work and wait for the new permit. Am I going to get in trouble and can I apply for Kela assistant for the time being when I am jobless?
You can apply, but... "A residence permit is required for social security coverage" www.kela.fi
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

bhimthapa

Post by bhimthapa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 am

Anyone with the similar situation where you have applied visa after resident permit expired?

bhimthapa

Post by bhimthapa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm

Update on the situation:

After applying residence permit almost 4 days delay after expired permit. I was working normally for a months till I got a new job where my boss called the police and found that I cannot work till my new permit is ready.
I immediately stop the current work and never joined a new job. My citizenship was under processing at the same time. I applied for KELA benefit for housing and social assistance( from 2017 KELA take care about social benefit) and I was waiting 3 long winter months till I receive a message in my phone from migri. I log in to enterfinland and found that my citizenship was ready although my permit was still in process.

I learned the following things from my situation:

1. Always apply your permit before it expired.

2. Making one mistake is careless but knowingly making 2nd on top of the 1st is stupidity. (In my case I could have continued to work my old job because migri didn't ask me to stop but I came to knew through my new boss that I cannot work because my application was 4 days delay). However I visited police and I stop it by myself I didn't want to make 2nd mistake.

3. Don't afraid to take KELA benefit, it wouldn't have been their if it wasn't to be used when you need it. I went to KELA office and explained my situation the lady there was very polite(fortunately I have always encountered good person around governmental offices) she said she never encountered like my situation so she called her boss and came to knew that if I am inside a social security I have all the right to take housing benefit and social benefit. I didn't apply social benefit because my salary was still to come from previous month so I took housing benefit for first month. From second month I took both.

4. Don't call migri, till it is utterly necessary. In those 3 months I never called migri because I knew that there were 9000 application on queue and everybody want their processing to be equally fast as other. To tell you truth I had applied before 12 months for citizenship. You can feel the pain of those worker admit it and I started to respect them more than before....

5. Follow the news in migri page for information and go through the law what could be possible scenario or consequences of your mistake. In my case it was just 4 days of delay so the law said to fine a person also my total accumulation of time of stay in Finland could have been wiped out and start from day 1. But these are scenario applicable on individual basis and person who handle your application. On other case I could have been rejected permit because they could have said your permit is expired and you need to start it over. That could have affect the citizenship processing too if my citizenship processing followed after permit decision.

6. Prepare for the worst. The day I stop work I start looking for master because I need a ground to stay here if something went wrong. I fortunately found one.

7. Tell truth to your employer, not just them but for all the authorities because it is totally acceptable to make mistake but making a mistake and covering it is ignorant.

8. Timeline:

11.2015 got my first A permit after graduation(I had already applied permit in 6.2015 but extended time for submitting my degree because THESIS WAS PAIN IN MY ASS.)

8.2015-5.2016 Full time student in Finnish language I took benefit from KELA as student from my first A Permit starting 12.2015.

3.2016 Passed YKI exam and applied Citizenship

6.2016 Start working full time

13.11.2016 First A permit expired (No available slut for online booking for whole months of November.2016 here is where I punched my own balls)

17.11.2016 I applied in Vantaa police in counter with queue

12.2016 Got new job, boss called police, migri updated my application that I cannot work coz I was 4 days delay to apply ..........

31.3.2017 I got positive decision for Citizenship.

Need to cancel my processing for Residence permit.
Need to cancel my KELA benefit.

Mistake will be made in future by others too like I did but need to rectify it and be smart and prepared for the worst scenario. In my case I had a master admission ready if
I had a processing of my permit first it could have been more awkward situation so I had a last wind shield of Master study place.

All these long winter I was supported by KELA. I have explored this all time learning online courses on big data, video tutorial, reading great books like Poor economics, rich dad poor dad and TRUMP: art of a deal. I have really felt that I took everything for granted, I never felt the importance to know myself, look back calmly and think what I made mistake. I used these 3 months to explore all these things. I think I am better person than where I started. I had a happy ending. It could have been other way around if the time was against me. Thanking you for reading this post till end. :D

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:41 am

It was nice of you to come back and update everyone :) Thank you!

artistlsm321

Post by artistlsm321 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:18 pm

bhimthapa wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm
Update on the situation:

After applying residence permit almost 4 days delay after expired permit. I was working normally for a months till I got a new job where my boss called the police and found that I cannot work till my new permit is ready.
I immediately stop the current work and never joined a new job. My citizenship was under processing at the same time. I applied for KELA benefit for housing and social assistance( from 2017 KELA take care about social benefit) and I was waiting 3 long winter months till I receive a message in my phone from migri. I log in to enterfinland and found that my citizenship was ready although my permit was still in process.

I learned the following things from my situation:

1. Always apply your permit before it expired.

2. Making one mistake is careless but knowingly making 2nd on top of the 1st is stupidity. (In my case I could have continued to work my old job because migri didn't ask me to stop but I came to knew through my new boss that I cannot work because my application was 4 days delay). However I visited police and I stop it by myself I didn't want to make 2nd mistake.

3. Don't afraid to take KELA benefit, it wouldn't have been their if it wasn't to be used when you need it. I went to KELA office and explained my situation the lady there was very polite(fortunately I have always encountered good person around governmental offices) she said she never encountered like my situation so she called her boss and came to knew that if I am inside a social security I have all the right to take housing benefit and social benefit. I didn't apply social benefit because my salary was still to come from previous month so I took housing benefit for first month. From second month I took both.

4. Don't call migri, till it is utterly necessary. In those 3 months I never called migri because I knew that there were 9000 application on queue and everybody want their processing to be equally fast as other. To tell you truth I had applied before 12 months for citizenship. You can feel the pain of those worker admit it and I started to respect them more than before....

5. Follow the news in migri page for information and go through the law what could be possible scenario or consequences of your mistake. In my case it was just 4 days of delay so the law said to fine a person also my total accumulation of time of stay in Finland could have been wiped out and start from day 1. But these are scenario applicable on individual basis and person who handle your application. On other case I could have been rejected permit because they could have said your permit is expired and you need to start it over. That could have affect the citizenship processing too if my citizenship processing followed after permit decision.

6. Prepare for the worst. The day I stop work I start looking for master because I need a ground to stay here if something went wrong. I fortunately found one.

7. Tell truth to your employer, not just them but for all the authorities because it is totally acceptable to make mistake but making a mistake and covering it is ignorant.

8. Timeline:

11.2015 got my first A permit after graduation(I had already applied permit in 6.2015 but extended time for submitting my degree because THESIS WAS PAIN IN MY ASS.)

8.2015-5.2016 Full time student in Finnish language I took benefit from KELA as student from my first A Permit starting 12.2015.

3.2016 Passed YKI exam and applied Citizenship

6.2016 Start working full time

13.11.2016 First A permit expired (No available slut for online booking for whole months of November.2016 here is where I punched my own balls)

17.11.2016 I applied in Vantaa police in counter with queue

12.2016 Got new job, boss called police, migri updated my application that I cannot work coz I was 4 days delay to apply ..........

31.3.2017 I got positive decision for Citizenship.

Need to cancel my processing for Residence permit.
Need to cancel my KELA benefit.

Mistake will be made in future by others too like I did but need to rectify it and be smart and prepared for the worst scenario. In my case I had a master admission ready if
I had a processing of my permit first it could have been more awkward situation so I had a last wind shield of Master study place.

All these long winter I was supported by KELA. I have explored this all time learning online courses on big data, video tutorial, reading great books like Poor economics, rich dad poor dad and TRUMP: art of a deal. I have really felt that I took everything for granted, I never felt the importance to know myself, look back calmly and think what I made mistake. I used these 3 months to explore all these things. I think I am better person than where I started. I had a happy ending. It could have been other way around if the time was against me. Thanking you for reading this post till end. :D
Hello thanks for your post.

Have you graduated from Finland when you applied first A type visa?
It's old post so probably you won't read it but I have some similar situation that you went through

Thanks,