How likely to get lost property returned?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
37yqp8098y5

Post by 37yqp8098y5 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:11 am

So I made the most expensive mistake of my life last night by leaving my smartphone (€1400) in public transport. It was just after 1am.

Unfortunately it's also on aeroplane mode lol, so there's no way to track it and Google shows it was last active 11 hours ago.

It's possible for someone (without unlocking) to swipe down and turn on mobile-data, which will instantly display a message that the phone is lost and a reward being offered for return, give me the location online and also put a big green fat "Call owner" button in the centre of the phone. So far, nothing.

The phone also isn't rooted, no developer settings enabled etc. so it's literally a brick to anyone else. It's got a complicated password or fingerprint as the two unlock methods. If someone reboots it to recovery and wipes it, they'll have to put in my email address password incl. 2FA etc. to activate it but they'll be able to see my email (and name) and hopefully email me that they've found it. It's a brand new device with very little on it but I am still hoping no one wipes it. If someone searches my name which is on my email, I don't have any social media like Facebook, only LinkedIn.

I've already made a request from Suomen Löytötavarapalvelu which is apparently where it'll go if it's been found by a public transport worker.

I'm hoping it hasn't been found by some kid or crackhead or someone who thinks they're smart enough to try and get into it or will try and sell it as stolen. If someone else does end up buying it stolen, even if it's wiped my email should be visible and no one else should be able to login. I'm a little worried though because Android has this stupid thing where if you click "Secure device" it says that it'll sing out of your Google account. Which would seemingly allow someone else to sign in and start using it, if it was wiped? I'm hoping though that if the device is wiped without a password/successful unlock that you must login with the previous account on the device to enable it.

TL;DR - In any case, what's the likelihood I'll get the device back? It's covered by insurance and my deductible is about €150. Though I would obviously like it back. It's got a nice case, perfectly installed screen protector etc. and it's the latest model.

Has anyone ever had expensive lost property returned or been able to pick it up from a Lost & Found in Finland?

The average Somali and Iraqi costs Finland €12,000 per person, per year.
https://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/160396

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

37yqp8098y5

Re: How likely to get lost property returned?

Post by 37yqp8098y5 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:03 pm

Actually didn't even have to wait 24h to get it back. I had been sent an email 1 hour before making this thread, but I hadn't got the email because I don't get email notifications on my other phone. So it was already waiting for me at Suomen Löytötavarapalvelu. Technically it took all of 15 hours from the time I lost it, to having it in my hand again.

I also got it back in flawless condition. Though they had put it in a huge basket with about 50+ other phones. Therefore it may have gotten scratched without the screen protector and case it had.

Cost me all of €17 + €4.95 to make the lost notice online to get back a €1400 phone.

Good is good and God bless this honest country and the person whom handed it in. Huge crisis averted.
The average Somali and Iraqi costs Finland €12,000 per person, per year.
https://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/160396

Y77

Re: How likely to get lost property returned?

Post by Y77 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:45 pm

maybe it was an Iraqi or a Somali that brought it to the lost property office. If so, do you deduct 1.4k from the 12k a year?