New government’s proposed changes to citizenship and residence permits

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
UshaDestination

Re: New government’s proposed changes to citizenship and residence permits

Post by UshaDestination » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:44 am

heretostay wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:41 am
dev-entrepreuner wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:07 pm
Also Finland is the only single country in the whole EU which language is getting learnt in 1.2k hours instead of 600. Think of that.
Swedish is always an alternative to Finnish for citizenship

To obtain permanent residency, individuals must have lived in Finland for six years and must demonstrate language proficiency through a language test.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:07 pm

The latest on this subject, posted today: https://intermin.fi/en/-/government-sub ... itizenship

The most interesting aspect to me (as I myself fall into this category) was that this seems to state that those that have passed a language test early on will continue to be lumped into the group of those that are, for example, married to Finnish citizens. Today this group gets put into the 4-year eligibility category. In the future, it would be the 5-year eligibility category. In other words, if you pass a language test before you've been in Finland for 5 years, you'll get your period of residence requirement reduced from 8 years to 5 years. Is that how others are reading this? Any reason to believe that was just misinterpreted from the text?
With the amendment, the residence requirement for children aged 15 or over, spouses of Finnish citizens, stateless persons and applicants meeting the language proficiency requirement would be extended to five years from the current four.

approw1903

Post by approw1903 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am

jperickson wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:07 pm
The latest on this subject, posted today: https://intermin.fi/en/-/government-sub ... itizenship

The most interesting aspect to me (as I myself fall into this category) was that this seems to state that those that have passed a language test early on will continue to be lumped into the group of those that are, for example, married to Finnish citizens. Today this group gets put into the 4-year eligibility category. In the future, it would be the 5-year eligibility category. In other words, if you pass a language test before you've been in Finland for 5 years, you'll get your period of residence requirement reduced from 8 years to 5 years. Is that how others are reading this? Any reason to believe that was just misinterpreted from the text?
With the amendment, the residence requirement for children aged 15 or over, spouses of Finnish citizens, stateless persons and applicants meeting the language proficiency requirement would be extended to five years from the current four.

I am interpreting a bit differently. I think it says that if you clear the language test it is 5 years from what is currently 4 years. So even if someone clears it in November, he or she can still go for citizenship after they complete 5 years provided they satisfy the other conditions.

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm

approw1903 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am
I am interpreting a bit differently. I think it says that if you clear the language test it is 5 years from what is currently 4 years. So even if someone clears it in November, he or she can still go for citizenship after they complete 5 years provided they satisfy the other conditions.
I'm not spotting the difference between our interpretations. Since the government program was released and until this press release yesterday, I was under the assumption that those who are here under work permits, for example, would have to wait a full 8 years to apply for citizenship even if they had passed a language test early on. Previously those people were eligible after 4 years. Now it seems it will be 5 years (and not 8 years).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm

jperickson wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm
approw1903 wrote:
I'm not spotting the difference between our interpretations. Since the government program was released and until this press release yesterday, I was under the assumption that those who are here under work permits, for example, would have to wait a full 8 years to apply for citizenship even if they had passed a language test early on. Previously those people were eligible after 4 years. Now it seems it will be 5 years (and not 8 years).
It’s five years in practise but allowing PS to claim it’s eight years even if most people qualify for five. So good news for applicants.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm
jperickson wrote:
approw1903 wrote:
It’s five years in practise but allowing PS to claim it’s eight years even if most people qualify for five. So good news for applicants.
This is just the first phase. There will be 2 more phase come to change the law. Citizenship test, income requirement etc etc.

approw1903

Post by approw1903 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

Uskomaton wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm
jperickson wrote:

This is just the first phase. There will be 2 more phase come to change the law. Citizenship test, income requirement etc etc.
Yes but imo the period of residency is the hardest to be eligible for if it were 8 years or something. On the other hand, getting s good job or knowing basic stuff about Finland can still work. Period of residence is more black or white and hence my bigger concern.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 pm

Uskomaton wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 pm
Correct. However, the citizenship test is unlikely to be particularly hard to pass. My guess is, it will be a piece of cake compared to YKI. It remains to be seen what the income limit will be set to.

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:23 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 pm
the citizenship test is unlikely to be particularly hard to pass.
Though it's worth saying (as I don't think I've seen this written about anywhere) that surely it'll only be offered in Finnish and Swedish, right? So on some level, even if a basic one, it'll be another language test indirectly.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 pm

jperickson wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:23 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 pm
the citizenship test is unlikely to be particularly hard to pass.
Though it's worth saying (as I don't think I've seen this written about anywhere) that surely it'll only be offered in Finnish and Swedish, right? So on some level, even if a basic one, it'll be another language test indirectly.
It’s safe to assume this.