what is Osakehuoneisto ?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
kelly1992

what is Osakehuoneisto ?

Post by kelly1992 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:47 am

hi

does anyone knows about osakehuoneisto ?
when it comes to buying a house in Finland.

I found some cheap options like asumisoikeus which almost like deposit. you own nothing..
and there other options like osakehuoneisto like condominium ?
what is exactly osakehuoneisto means ? you own the place but you share with other ppl in the builiding ?
do they have limits for renovation or anything ? I am so confused about this.

we have condominium back to my hometown but you have no control of remontti or any kind you just own to live..
for me it is almost same as asumioikeus. you just got part of their property but not fully of yours..

do I understand right ??

what is Osakehuoneisto ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

X6InhEswsi7lLAQ

Re: what is Osakehuoneisto ?

Post by X6InhEswsi7lLAQ » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 am

It works differently than in most other countries.
If you buy an osakehuoneisto, you would effectively be being shares of the housing company that owns the building itself and getting access to one of the units. Any renovations will need to be approved by the housing company, as it's in the best interest of the shareholders (including yourself) that nothing dangerous or wacky is done. They won't be criticizing the color of your walls, but they will want to make sure the floor can actually support the new bathtub you want installed and that it will get done by a certified professional.

You'll be paying the monthly maintenance fees that usually includes: snow removal, district heating, powering common areas, as well as misc maintenance work. Additionally, if there are structural or common renovations, you will be responsible for part of the loan taken out to get those done. IMO this is very convenient, as it removes some burden from you, and if you like nitpicking, you can join the meetings and voice your opinion.

If you go with asumisoikeus, you buy it cheap, but then just pay a high monthly fee and you don't own anything except the right to live there, which can be resold. Not very different from renting, but probably more stable.

kelly1992

Post by kelly1992 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:42 am

thanks for answer !! everything is so clear.

but every apartment building in Finland they all Osakehuoneisto ?

is there apartment or flat isn't Osakehuoneisto ?

kelly1992

Post by kelly1992 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:43 am

X6InhEswsi7lLAQ wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 am
It works differently than in most other countries.
If you buy an osakehuoneisto, you would effectively be being shares of the housing company that owns the building itself and getting access to one of the units. Any renovations will need to be approved by the housing company, as it's in the best interest of the shareholders (including yourself) that nothing dangerous or wacky is done. They won't be criticizing the color of your walls, but they will want to make sure the floor can actually support the new bathtub you want installed and that it will get done by a certified professional.

You'll be paying the monthly maintenance fees that usually includes: snow removal, district heating, powering common areas, as well as misc maintenance work. Additionally, if there are structural or common renovations, you will be responsible for part of the loan taken out to get those done. IMO this is very convenient, as it removes some burden from you, and if you like nitpicking, you can join the meetings and voice your opinion.

If you go with asumisoikeus, you buy it cheap, but then just pay a high monthly fee and you don't own anything except the right to live there, which can be resold. Not very different from renting, but probably more stable.

X6InhEswsi7lLAQ

Post by X6InhEswsi7lLAQ » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:05 pm

Personally, I have never seen one.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:15 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:42 am

There are flats that are not controlled via shares of a housing company. This happens, for example, when someone owns the whole building and chooses not to use a housing company.