Harrasment by a neighbour

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
taniusha

Post by taniusha » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:03 pm

Hello,

I would like to get some advice on how to proceed with a situation I am experiencing.

I moved to my actual apartment 3 years ago. A month after I moved in, the neighbour downstairs came to complain that I was making noise and that the walls in the building were very thin. He then accused me of moving furniture around in the night and other similar things that were not true. While I was responding to him he stared at me in a way that made me feel very uncomfortable; the more I said that I wasn´t doing anything the more he was insisting on the opposite. I finally told him that he had to leave me alone and that I wasn´t doing anything.

A few months after that he chased me down the stairs on my way to work, cornered me and threatened me saying that he would punch me in the face if I continued making noise. I told him that he was threatening me and that I was going to call the police; then asked him to get away from me. He then followed me outside the building asking me to call the police because he wanted to talk to them. He kept on asking what country I was from and what languages was I speaking.

I called the police but it was not an emergency so they advised me to contact the housing company.
The housing company was contacted, I filled out a report and my landlord was also informed of the incident.

After that I just had to stand uncomfortable stares, mumbling when passing near him (he is always smoking outside the building).

Then it came the day when he hit my door repeatedly with a walking stick in the night. I came out together with the next-door neighbour. This time he said that "i was making noise on purpose just to bother him".
Report to the housing company; they talked to him.

After that, I was expecting things to be calmer but no: if I encountered him at the entrance of the building he would say "älä kulistelee".

The last event was today: when walking home I passed by him in the middle of the street; he threw me a snowball at my back, showed me the middle finger and said something (insult or threaten, I don´t know, but by the face of a woman who was passing by it wasn´t good).

I will report it to the housing company once more. I am moving out at the end of this month but in the meanwhile, I don't feel safe and also I am afraid of the moving day, standing outside the building and encountering him again.

I don´t know if to move things further or just move out and forget about him completely.

Truth said this whole situation has caused me a great deal of stress, fear and anxiety.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

gramirezv

Re: Harrasment by a neighbour

Post by gramirezv » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:51 am

Was this in Vaasa by any chance?

Auringon_kukka

Re: Harrasment by a neighbour

Post by Auringon_kukka » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:36 pm

It's unfortunate you have to move because of someone else, but, in the end, moving may be the only thing that brings you peace. Your neighbour may have untreated mental health issues. Since you have already decided to move, I would suggest you have someone with you (e.g., friend) with you on moving day, for support if needed.

Wishing you the best!