Why is divorce decree needed for RP process

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
morwilwarin

Post by morwilwarin » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:43 am

Why is a certified copy of my divorce decree needed for the RP if I have to go through the process of confirming I’m single/eligible for marriage with DVV before I can even get married? DVV confirms I’m allowed to get married, so why does migri need this paperwork in the application? Does anyone else have experience with this (previously divorced, married again to a Finn)? Is it really required if I’m already married to my Finnish partner, or is it more for another purpose?

*Application-specific attachments*

*Divorce certificate (if you or your spouse has previously been married and have divorced) (must be legalised if not issued in the Nordic countries or in an EU Member State)*

For reference, I am US citizen, partner is Finnish. We are both divorced years ago, planning on marrying in a few months ☺️

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Why is divorce decree needed for RP process

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:45 am

morwilwarin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:43 am
Why is a certified copy of my divorce decree needed for the RP if I have to go through the process of confirming I’m single/eligible for marriage with DVV before I can even get married? DVV confirms I’m allowed to get married, so why does migri need this paperwork in the application? Does anyone else have experience with this (previously divorced, married again to a Finn)? Is it really required if I’m already married to my Finnish partner, or is it more for another purpose?

*Divorce certificate (if you or your spouse has previously been married and have divorced) (must be legalised if not issued in the Nordic countries or in an EU Member State)*

For reference, I am US citizen, partner is Finnish. We are both divorced years ago, planning on marrying in a few months ☺️
It wouldn't make sense to issue a residence permit just on the basis that you think you are able to get married. They could of course improve the process so that one could attach paperwork from DVV instead.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:57 pm

morwilwarin wrote:
It is not required.
morwilwarin wrote:

OLE_PH2 wrote: if the marriage/registration took place outside Finland, append the divorce certificate

morwilwarin

Post by morwilwarin » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:05 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:57 pm
morwilwarin wrote:
It is not required.
morwilwarin wrote:

OLE_PH2 wrote: if the marriage/registration took place outside Finland, append the divorce certificate

What do you mean it is not required? It literally says if I have been divorced previously outside of Finland then I have to attach a copy of my decree to my application?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:48 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
The application is more likely OLE_MUU. Still it says in your quote for OLE_PH2 that it’s required.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:31 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:48 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
The application is more likely OLE_MUU.
My interpretation of "Is it really required if I’m already married to my Finnish partner" was that the OP is preparing documents for an RP application as spouse after marrying in Finland.

Intimate relationship RP with OLE_MUU wouldn't make sense for an US citizen "marrying in a few months".

betterwound

Post by betterwound » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:37 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:31 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:48 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
geometry dash scratch
The application is more likely OLE_MUU.
My interpretation of "Is it really required if I’m already married to my Finnish partner" was that the OP is preparing documents for an RP application as spouse after marrying in Finland.

Intimate relationship RP with OLE_MUU wouldn't make sense for an US citizen "marrying in a few months".
I would like to ask, if I am a foreigner marrying a Finnish person, are there any legal requirements?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:01 pm

betterwound wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:37 am
I would like to ask, if I am a foreigner marrying a Finnish person, are there any legal requirements?
Requirements are set by the country where you are marrying, e.g. in Israel a Jew cannot marry a Muslim.

For marriage in Finland the requirements are that you are at least 18 years old, not too closely related to your spouse, and that you are not currently married to anyone else.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 pm

morwilwarin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:05 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
morwilwarin wrote:
It is not required.
morwilwarin wrote:

What do you mean it is not required? It literally says if I have been divorced previously outside of Finland then I have to attach a copy of my decree to my application?
You are only looking at the attachments summary section, not at the text of the actual questions above.

Most people just attach a the document they already have since they needed it for DVV, but Migri does not need it for a marriage that is in the population register.