Delay in Opening S-Pankki Bank Account

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
hasan4074

Post by hasan4074 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:00 pm

Hi,
I have applied for an S-Pankki account back on January 13, 2024. Although the officer said I will get my bank account no. instantly, I did not get it and he said I just have to wait 3-4 weeks. But is it usual as an international student? Is there any chance that my account opening request may get rejected? Because I have to plan to open in other bank if that happens. I am frustrated of all the odd things happening to me. :( :( :( :beamer: :cry:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Delay in Opening S-Pankki Bank Account

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:18 pm

hasan4074 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:00 pm
Hi,
I have applied for an S-Pankki account back on January 13, 2024. Although the officer said I will get my bank account no. instantly, I did not get it and he said I just have to wait 3-4 weeks. But is it usual as an international student? Is there any chance that my account opening request may get rejected? Because I have to plan to open in other bank if that happens. I am frustrated of all the odd things happening to me. :( :( :( :beamer: :cry:
It depends whether you applied for basic or optional banking services. The bar to deny the former is high.

” Generally, a deposit bank may refuse to open a basic payment account and to provide related payment services only for reasons pertaining to money laundering regulations. This may be the case if, for example, the bank cannot reliably verify the identity of the customer.”

https://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Cons ... -services/

hasan4074

Post by hasan4074 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:43 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:18 pm
hasan4074 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:00 pm
Hi,
It depends whether you applied for basic or optional banking services. The bar to deny the former is high.

” Generally, a deposit bank may refuse to open a basic payment account and to provide related payment services only for reasons pertaining to money laundering regulations. This may be the case if, for example, the bank cannot reliably verify the identity of the customer.”

https://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Cons ... -services/
Well that's frightening. I am an international student, so it is really vital for me to have a bank account here. I have applied for a basic account as much as I know which will be used for my financial transactions in Finland. Btw thanks for the info.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:43 pm

S bank are probably the worst for handling customers who don't match the profile of most people in Finland. Some years ago they were even denying some accounts/credit cards to people without Finnish ID even though the law says that EU passports should be equally valid.

https://yle.fi/a/3-8928146

I don't bank with them but I did want their combined S card / credit card and they would not give me one despite living in finland over 10 years at the time and in a salaried job. This was because I did not have a finnish passport. They would only give a debit card, not a credit card. Eventually they were forced to change their criteria and I could apply for their credit card. Ironically once I got the credit card I immediately sent it back to them because they do not offer contactless credit cards, only contactless debit cards (this limitation is not immediately apparent on their pages when you apply).