Insurance + car driving

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Khuduke68

Insurance + car driving

Post by Khuduke68 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:57 am

Hello everyone in this forum. I am from UK and plan going to Finland for two weeks holiday in July coming and I would like to use my relative car for driving about over there during my stay. Do I need to inform the owner vehicle insurance company for covering my two weeks using the car. Can anyone let me know a bit more information about car insurance in Finland please. Thank you.

Insurance + car driving

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Insurance + car driving

Post by riku2 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 am

Assuming your relative lives in Finland and you borrow their car: Car insurance in Finland is linked to the car and unlike the UK there is no "named driver" concept and having to give the insurance company a list of drivers (with them recalculating the premium based on who might drive the car). The car is insured for any driver (probably subject to them having a valid driving licence).

I am not exactly sure what happens if you race past speed cameras. The liability is with the driver but unless Finland has an agreement with the UK (they do have one with Estonia), then they cannot enforce camera fines on drivers with foreign licences (for rental cars the rental car company will charge your credit card plus a hefty admin fee).

If you really want to check in more detail, this company has materials in English. https://www.op.fi/private-customers/ins ... -insurance Even if your relative does not have insurance with them, the concepts will be similar for other insurers in Finland.

browndude

Re: Insurance + car driving

Post by browndude » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:12 pm

Khuduke68 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:57 am
Hello everyone in this forum. I am from UK and plan going to Finland for two weeks holiday in July coming and I would like to use my relative car for driving about over there during my stay. Do I need to inform the owner vehicle insurance company for covering my two weeks using the car. Can anyone let me know a bit more information about car insurance in Finland please. Thank you.
Ask the insurance company directly.
ImageImage