Timeline for moving after receiving residence permit card

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ev_un

Post by ev_un » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I just received a positive decision from Migri and am waiting for my RP card to be mailed. (I'm from USA.)

The start date of my RP is 15/04/2024. However, that is also the date listed on my employment contract as a start date. I would like to move a week earlier in order to get a bit settled before beginning work.

Would there be any problem with me arriving in Finland earlier than my residence permit date? (I couldn't find an answer to this on any of the Migri websites.)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Timeline for moving after receiving residence permit card

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:53 pm

ev_un wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm
Hello. I'm new here. I just received a positive decision from Migri and am waiting for my RP card to be mailed. (I'm from USA.)

The start date of my RP is 15/04/2024. However, that is also the date listed on my employment contract as a start date. I would like to move a week earlier in order to get a bit settled before beginning work.

Would there be any problem with me arriving in Finland earlier than my residence permit date? (I couldn't find an answer to this on any of the Migri websites.)
You may travel if you are eligible to enter as a tourist. You will not be entitled to services like health care on terms for residents.

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:03 pm

ev_un wrote:

Yeah you can enter beforehand by using your visa-free entry since you are US citizen (schengen visa rules apply).

Betelguese is correct that you can't use public healthcare or other things generally for residents, but other than that, it should be ok.

paddlingcaring

Post by paddlingcaring » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:38 am

ev_un wrote:

doodle jump
The only way is to go as a tourist. Don't worry too much, you just can't use public health services