English Speaking Finn Family job/relocation

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Hannahkorpi

Post by Hannahkorpi » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 am

Hello,

My husband and I are looking into finding a way to relocate to Finland with our two wonderful babies. My husband has a PhD in Chemistry and has gotten close to receiving a job offer there, but came up short to someone who already resides there. He used to be a professor for 2 different colleges.
I have a transfer associates degree and studied zoology, conservation and animal behaviot, but put school on pause to raise the kids (they are only 10 months apart and quite a handful).
We began looking into starting our own Finnish styled farm/bnb and sled dogs. As we fell in love with it while we visited Bear Hill Husky in Finland. We also want to outdoor and sustainable life for ourselves and kids.
My family originated in Finland and I have been trying desperately to uncover my roots and incorporate the culture into my kid's lives. We know very little Finnish, but we do try and give our kids exposure.
I would love to know if anyone has plans unconventional leads or advice on where to apply, even permanent farm help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
Kiitos!
Hannah

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: English Speaking Finn Family job/relocation

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:21 pm

Hannahkorpi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 am
My husband and I are looking into finding a way to relocate to Finland with our two wonderful babies. My husband has a PhD in Chemistry and has gotten close to receiving a job offer there, but came up short to someone who already resides there. He used to be a professor for 2 different colleges.
I have a transfer associates degree and studied zoology, conservation and animal behaviot, but put school on pause to raise the kids (they are only 10 months apart and quite a handful).
Your husband finding a job based on his qualifications might be your best chance.
Hannahkorpi wrote:
We began looking into starting our own Finnish styled farm/bnb and sled dogs.
Does anyone of you have EU citizenship?
Otherwise I doubt you would be granted a residence permit for that.
Hannahkorpi wrote:
My family originated in Finland
How many generations ago did your last ancestor have Finnish citizenship?
Hannahkorpi wrote:
and I have been trying desperately to uncover my roots and incorporate the culture into my kid's lives. We know very little Finnish, but we do try and give our kids exposure.
I would love to know if anyone has plans unconventional leads or advice on where to apply, even permanent farm help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
Your husband would increase his chances of finding a job in his field a lot if he gets able to work in Finnish, for unskilled labour not being able to work in the local language is even worse.