Applying for Citizenship 2024

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
fingol

Re: Petty theft and citizenship application

Post by fingol » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 am

Algary wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm
Hi all,

I had a friend who just applied for the citizenship beginning of this year. He did a stupid thing, shoplifting in the market - he took some supplements. He got caught by the guard, then the polices were come and fined him as petty theft.

He is under depressed now and regretting and shouting at himself. I'm so sad for him :( , of course he did wrong thing and had to pay the price for that action. However, I hope this will not impact on his citizenship decision.

Is this the issue of the citizenship decision? Anyone has advice on this?
One petty fine will not affect the decision. But if your friend resisted during the capture, it is also a crime. Then it will affect.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dilema

Post by dilema » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 am

Algary wrote:
Hi all,

I had a friend who just applied for the citizenship beginning of this year. He did a stupid thing, shoplifting in the market - he took some supplements. He got caught by the guard, then the polices were come and fined him as petty theft.

He is under depressed now and regretting and shouting at himself. I'm so sad for him :( , of course he did wrong thing and had to pay the price for that action. However, I hope this will not impact on his citizenship decision.

I am sorry
fingol wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 am
Algary wrote:
Hi all,

One petty fine will not affect the decision. But if your friend resisted during the capture, it is also a crime. Then it will affect.
I hope his citizenship application will be rejected because Finland does not need criminals like him.
He committed a crime when he is not a citizen yet, can you imagine when he is a citizen already? He will commit many crimes thinking he cannot be deported.
Last edited by dilema on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 pm

Algary wrote:
Hi all,

https://migri.fi/en/integrity

How many day fines did your friend get? See the details below.

"If you have committed a crime
The Finnish Immigration Service will assess whether you can be granted Finnish citizenship. We will consider, for example:

the time that has passed since you committed the offence
the punishment sentenced
the severity of the offence
the number of offences you have committed.
Being sentenced to a small number of punishments consisting of less than 30 day fines, for example, will usually not prevent you from becoming a citizen. A higher number of day fines or a more severe punishment will increase the likelihood of a negative decision.

Waiting period
If you have committed an offence, you may have to wait for a certain period of time before you can get citizenship. This means that you will receive a negative decision on your application and
a waiting period will be imposed on you. During this waiting period, you cannot be granted Finnish citizenship.

The length of the waiting period depends on the following factors:

the punishment sentenced for the offence
When your waiting period is over and you wish to apply for Finnish citizenship, you must submit a new application.

If you have committed a serious offence or many offences
You may receive a negative decision that does not contain a separate waiting period. This means that you cannot be granted Finnish citizenship until further notice.

In these situations, it is advisable to wait for several years before you apply for Finnish citizenship again. A new assessment of your situation will be made when you submit a new application.
The following factors are taken into account in the assessment:

the number of offences you have committed
the number of punishments sentenced."

Naxput

Re: Applying for Citizenship 2024

Post by Naxput » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:55 pm

fingol wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:28 am
Naxput wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:55 am
fingol wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

It doesn't explain why my refugee friend from Iraq got decision in 7 months.
Hi When did he apply? this couple years ?
Last year. Another got around 12 months.
Thank you so much for this information. A lot of people said refugee citizenship takes more than 2 years. I applied at the end of 2023, my queue number started at 6250, and now it's 6368; it never goes down. Do you know what queue number your friend had when he got citizenship? Is there a special reason they got citizenship fast? Thank you in advance.

Algary

Post by Algary » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:47 pm

Uskomaton wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 pm
Algary wrote:
Hi all,

https://migri.fi/en/integrity

How many day fines did your friend get? See the details below.

"If you have committed a crime
The Finnish Immigration Service will assess whether you can be granted Finnish citizenship. We will consider, for example:

the punishment sentenced
Being sentenced to a small number of punishments consisting of less than 30 day fines, for example, will usually not prevent you from becoming a citizen. A higher number of day fines or a more severe punishment will increase the likelihood of a negative decision.

Waiting period
If you have committed an offence, you may have to wait for a certain period of time before you can get citizenship. This means that you will receive a negative decision on your application and
a waiting period will be imposed on you. During this waiting period, you cannot be granted Finnish citizenship.

The length of the waiting period depends on the following factors:

When your waiting period is over and you wish to apply for Finnish citizenship, you must submit a new application.

If you have committed a serious offence or many offences
You may receive a negative decision that does not contain a separate waiting period. This means that you cannot be granted Finnish citizenship until further notice.

In these situations, it is advisable to wait for several years before you apply for Finnish citizenship again. A new assessment of your situation will be made when you submit a new application.
The following factors are taken into account in the assessment:

the number of offences you have committed
the number of punishments sentenced."
Thank you so much for your details and information. I’ll share this to him. I asked and he told me the number of day fines is ~3 weeks. He paid the fine already.

My friend keeps regretting himself and didn’t sleep the whole night and still a bit stressed.

So I suppose that his case may receive a disadvantage decision (hopefully not come true 🙏). As number of day fines is quite long, and he migri will consider carefully and strictly, especially under the period of changing citizenship application criteria.

Do you know if this will be recorded in the criminal record?

Algary

Post by Algary » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm

fingol wrote:
Algary wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your information. As I know, he didn’t react but consents for the fine. And just paid the fine.

My friend keeps regretting himself and didn’t sleep the whole night and still a bit stressed.

So I suppose that his case may receive a disadvantage decision (hopefully not come true 🙏). As number of day fines is about 3 weeks, migri might consider carefully and strictly, especially under the period of changing citizenship application criteria.

Do you know if this will be recorded in the criminal record?

karhu86

Post by karhu86 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Algary wrote:
Hi all,

there is a difference between petty fines and fine days. petty fines are issued by the police without a court order, for minor crimes and assault and they don't affect your citizenship application. for example a parking or speeding ticket is considered a petty fine and won't affect your application. fine days are a court order, and are considered more serious. if you get 10 fine days that means you got 10 days prison sentence, but the court decided that the crime is not that extreme that you can bail yourself out. as mentioned above, 30 fine days is the border line, but these are for assaults and fraud. shoplifting is considered a minor offense in finland, but repeated minor offenses in finland can lead to court. so tell your friend to relax, and hopefully he learned his lesson

Umee

Post by Umee » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:51 pm

Anyone in stage 2 here for longer period ?
My application went to stage 2 on 6 March after 2 weeks I was asked for some supplements since then no response.
I called Migri they don’t say anything only wait ..

My application has been now on stage 2 for more than a month now on top of 21 months waiting period it’s making me too stressed….

Anyone with same exp ??

elNino

Post by elNino » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm

After 5 years since first time i discovered this forum, It cames the day to write this comment and wish the best to all

Arrived to Finland: June 2019

Applied : 5.8.2023
Identity : 9.8.2023
Stage 2 : 14.1.2024
Decision : 15.3.2024 (Positive)

All the best to everyone here.

Naxput

Post by Naxput » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 pm

elNino wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm
After 5 years since first time i discovered this forum, It cames the day to write this comment and wish the best to all

Congratulations 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

tramstational

Post by tramstational » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:59 pm

I applied 20th July 2023. My friend applied 1 day after me and he got decision on Dec last year. :ohno: My current queue is 4110. Is there any insight or prediction about my case?

farhad.void

Post by farhad.void » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

elNino wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm

Congrats!!!
What was your queue number when the application moved to stage 2.

burcu1

Post by burcu1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm

fingol wrote:
Algary wrote:
Hi all,

I hope his citizenship application will be rejected because Finland does not need criminals like him.
He committed a crime when he is not a citizen yet, can you imagine when he is a citizen already? He will commit many crimes thinking he cannot be deported.
I don't agree. People can make mistakes easily. They can also regret and try to become better next time. On the other hand, Finns are not angels and some of them also commit crimes heavier than shoplifting.

burcu1

Post by burcu1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 pm

Uskomaton wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 am
burcu1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 pm
Uskomaton wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:35 pm

Probably you have a complex case. Don't forget, getting citizenship is not a right but a privilege. Even meeting all criteria does not necessarily mean that they cannot reject.

If you have permanent residence, you are pretty much covered anyway.
I don't think PR is as good as citizenship. For instance, your PR will be cancelled and you will be deported if you are unemployed for longer than 3 months. There is no such risk when you are citizen.
That’s incorrect. When you have permanent residence permit, whether working or not working, this has no impact on your status. You can live permanently in Finland. It is called Permanent Residence, not based a work permit or work based residence permit.
You might be correct. I remember from initial proposal that plans to deport both unemployed RP and PR holders. It must be changed then, I don't know the details.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm

burcu1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 pm
Uskomaton wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 am
burcu1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 pm

I don't think PR is as good as citizenship. For instance, your PR will be cancelled and you will be deported if you are unemployed for longer than 3 months. There is no such risk when you are citizen.
That’s incorrect. When you have permanent residence permit, whether working or not working, this has no impact on your status. You can live permanently in Finland. It is called Permanent Residence, not based a work permit or work based residence permit.
You might be correct. I remember from initial proposal that plans to deport both unemployed RP and PR holders. It must be changed then, I don't know the details.
PR owners have never been the scope. There is draft to change how and who obtains the PR, probably you are confusing it with that.