Applying for Citizenship 2024

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mamutti

Re: Applying for Citizenship 2024

Post by mamutti » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am

By the way, does everyone wait nowadays 23 months in the longer queue? Or do we have anyone who would be waiting less?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Auringon_kukka

Post by Auringon_kukka » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm

singfi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am
singfi wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 pm
singfi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:40 pm
I am following this forum often and I'd like to share my application progress. I applied on May 20, 2022 and still in stage 1, which is over 21 months waiting :(. I sent Email to Migri and got reply that they are backloged and processing cases in earlier May, 2022. Hopefully the decsion will come soon. I keep updated.
new update:
Applied on May 20, 2022
Moved to stage 2 on March 14, 2024, Q number at 135X
still waiting for final decision, I will update one more time when the decsion is made.
final update:
Applied on May 20, 2022
Moved to stage 2 on March 14, 2024, Q number at 135X
Decision is made on April 18.

Frankly, I won't apply if I had known that I need to wait such a long time, I have no emition about this anymore, but thanks to this forum, which has helped many applicants for emitional support during waiting period, and I hope everyone will receive their decsion in a good timely manner. all the best!
Congratulations! 🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊

I applied in August 2022, so this gives me hope that my turn is coming!

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 pm

8 years of residency
https://yle.fi/a/74-20084424

The Interior Ministry estimates that the citizenship measures would affect around 10,000 people each year

I mean it around 12000 ppl submit applications every year. Who are those 10000?

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

Here is new citezenship law posted on parliament

https://www.eduskunta.fi/FI/vaski/Halli ... +2024.aspx

I translated one of the parts
As the residency requirement generally required for naturalization would be extended to eight years, individuals interested in applying for citizenship would, on the other hand, have more time to acquire language proficiency. Extending the residency period may result in fewer citizenship applications without sufficient evidence to demonstrate satisfactory language skills. Language proficiency cannot be demonstrated solely through the oral component of a general language test or through an ongoing vocational qualification. The majority of decisions made on citizenship applications have been positive, but insufficient language proficiency has been one of the most common reasons for a negative decision on an application.

Something came to my mind after that, why they want 5 with YKI and 8 years of residency for others, also with YKI. Basically, they want to prohibit that people apply for citezenship in 5 years and claim finnish language exemption in order to reduce number of applications. i.e. if you live 5 years here, you cannot claim exemption anymore after law go in force, you can do it only after 8 years - probably, it will work like this and reduce number of negative applications.

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

TUserFin wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

As the residency requirement generally required for naturalization would be extended to eight years, individuals interested in applying for citizenship would, on the other hand, have more time to acquire language proficiency. Extending the residency period may result in fewer citizenship applications without sufficient evidence to demonstrate satisfactory language skills. Language proficiency cannot be demonstrated solely through the oral component of a general language test or through an ongoing vocational qualification. The majority of decisions made on citizenship applications have been positive, but insufficient language proficiency has been one of the most common reasons for a negative decision on an application.

Something came to my mind after that, why they want 5 with YKI and 8 years of residency for others, also with YKI. Basically, they want to prohibit that people apply for citezenship in 5 years and claim finnish language exemption in order to reduce number of applications. i.e. if you live 5 years here, you cannot claim exemption anymore after law go in force, you can do it only after 8 years - probably, it will work like this and reduce number of negative applications.

So, it is 5 years for working and living most of time in Finland ppl

There is no statistical data available on the number of individuals who have arrived in Finland for work or study and have subsequently been naturalized. However, according to the Immigration to Finland overview published by the Finnish Immigration Service in November 2023, both work and study are significant reasons for migration to Finland. In 2022, a total of 25,216 initial residence permit and EU registration applications were submitted based on employment reasons. Additionally, a total of 9,855 initial residence permits were applied for by students in 2022. It can be assumed that some of these individuals would be interested in applying for citizenship in the future. They could apply for citizenship after living in Finland for five years if they meet the language proficiency requirement and other citizenship requirements at that time.

Suomeen työhön tai opiskelemaan saapuneiden ja sittemmin kansalaistettujen henkilöiden lukumääristä ei ole saatavilla tilastotietoja. Maahanmuuttoviraston marraskuussa 2023 julkaiseman Maahanmuutto Suomeen -katsauksen perusteella sekä työ että opiskelu ovat kuitenkin merkittäviä perusteita Suomeen muutolle. Vuonna 2022 tehtyjen ensimmäisten työperusteisten oleskelupa- ja EU-rekisteröintihakemusten määrä oli yhteensä 25 216. Opiskelijoiden ensimmäisiä oleskelulupia haettiin vuonna 2022 puolestaan yhteensä 9 855. Voidaan olettaa, että osa näitä hakemuksia tehneistä henkilöistä olisi tulevaisuudessa kiinnostunut myös kansalaisuuden hakemisesta. He voisivat hakea kansalaisuutta viiden vuoden Suomessa asumisen jälkeen, jos he täyttäisivät silloin kielitaitoedellytyksen ja muut kansalaistamisen edellytykset.

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm

TUserFin wrote:

Here is why most of ppl get negative deicsion

The main reasons for negative decisions on citizenship applications have been insufficient language skills, unresolved identity issues, and failure to meet the residency requirement. Negative decisions related to the residency requirement have been partly due to the complexity of the regulations and differences in how applicants assess their residency compared to the authority making the decisions. Although the residency requirement would be extended compared to the current situation, determining its fulfillment would be clearer in the future with the proposed changes to residency calculation. Therefore, it is not expected that the number of negative decisions on citizenship applications would increase due to the proposed changes. Transitional provisions would mean that the proposed changes would not apply to applications submitted before the changes come into effect, preventing unforeseen negative decisions on previously submitted applications resulting from the change in the law.

Keskeisimpiä kansalaisuushakemuksiin tehtyjen kielteisten päätösten syitä ovat olleet puutteellinen kielitaito, selvittämättä jäänyt henkilöllisyys sekä se, että asumisaika ei ole täyttynyt. Asumisaikaan liittyvät kielteiset päätökset ovat johtuneet osittain sääntelyn vaikeaselkoisuudesta ja siitä, että hakijat ovat arvioineet asumisajan täyttymistä eri tavalla kuin päätöksiä tekevä viranomainen. Vaikka asumisaikaa pidennettäisiin nykyiseen verrattuna, sen täyttymisen toteaminen olisi asumisajan laskentaan ehdotettavien muutosten myötä jatkossa nykyistä selkeämpää. Kansalaisuushakemuksiin tehtävien kielteisten päätösten määrä ei siten oletettavasti kasvaisi nyt ehdotettavien muutosten vuoksi. Siirtymäsäännösten vuoksi ennen muutosten voimaantuloa tehtyihin hakemuksiin ei sovellettaisi ehdotettuja muutoksia, jolloin lain muuttumisesta ei seuraisi ennakoimattomia kielteisiä päätöksiä jo tehtyihin hakemuksiin.

ana_fi

Post by ana_fi » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm

TUserFin wrote:

does it mean they postponed the law to October as it says here vs August that they were targeting in the earlier drafts?

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm

ana_fi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm
TUserFin wrote:

does it mean they postponed the law to October as it says here vs August that they were targeting in the earlier drafts?

1 of September, as I understood

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

TUserFin wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm
ana_fi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm
TUserFin wrote:

1 of September, as I understood
Because Migri needs time to adjust the systems, they proposed it to come into force 1 October.

just_passing_by

Post by just_passing_by » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am

This week's stats:
Total processed: ~168
Total processed above threshold: ~105
Processed above threshold to total processed ratio: ~0.62
Threshold processing median: ~13106/310/2023
2022 processing median: ~4939/310/2022
New applications created: ~172

Data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WioxNs ... sp=sharing

alibaba_dm

Post by alibaba_dm » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

just_passing_by wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am
This week's stats:

Thank you for the update!
Could you please check if it's the right file?
Looks like it's the data for 1.4.2024 - at least that is the last update date and applications that have been processed in the last data are shown as "pending" in this one.

Boston_MA

Post by Boston_MA » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm

just_passing_by wrote:
This week's stats:

Would it be possible for you to upload a link to the data in reverse chronological order or split the data into two files? The file is now too big for me to be able to download all of it and because of how it is now ordered, the new information isn’t part of the part of the spreadsheet that I am able to download.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 pm

alibaba_dm wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm
just_passing_by wrote:
This week's stats:

Thank you for the update!
Could you please check if it's the right file?
Looks like it's the data for 1.4.2024 - at least that is the last update date and applications that have been processed in the last data are shown as "pending" in this one.
it is the correct data. Try to import it into Excel, you may have to clear 2021 applications as more than 100000 cells cause problems. The updates are visible weekly. Last one is 22.4.2024

just_passing_by

Post by just_passing_by » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:35 pm

Boston_MA wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm
Would it be possible for you to upload a link to the data in reverse chronological order or split the data into two files? The file is now too big for me to be able to download all of it and because of how it is now ordered, the new information isn’t part of the part of the spreadsheet that I am able to download.
Updated the file

Indian_Dude

Post by Indian_Dude » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:03 pm

just_passing_by wrote:
This week's stats:

Thanks for the nice visualisation. Is it written in python? Indeed you put effort on writing the code. When you got the decision everything will be lost. So wondering if you could upload it in the github :).