Question about laundry room vs. drying room

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Kregian

Post by Kregian » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 pm

i'm looking for a new place to rent - the one i'm staying at belongs to my institution and i can only be here for 3 months - and i have a question.

i was excluding buildings that said they had a shared "drying room" and not a "laundry room" because i understood it to just be a shared room where you can leave your laundry out to dry, while a laundry room actually has a washing machine all tenants can use (i don't want to buy my own washing machine).

but i just read a comment from someone that mentioned a washing machine in the drying room of their building, so now i'm confused. are laundry rooms and drying room actually the same thing?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Question about laundry room vs. drying room

Post by browndude » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 am

At least from my experience, they are not the same thing.
ImageImage

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:45 pm

Kregian wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 pm
i'm looking for a new place to rent - the one i'm staying at belongs to my institution and i can only be here for 3 months - and i have a question.

i was excluding buildings that said they had a shared "drying room" and not a "laundry room" because i understood it to just be a shared room where you can leave your laundry out to dry, while a laundry room actually has a washing machine all tenants can use (i don't want to buy my own washing machine).
Limiting your choices this way might not be smart.
Financially, buying an own washing machine would be cheaper than paying 50 Euro more per month in rent.

Shared washing machines with a rental system tend to be only provided by apartment rental companies like Sato or Lumo that also don't require an apartment deposit, normal buildings with individually owned apartments rarely have laundry rooms since everyone has an own washing machine.
Kregian wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 pm
but i just read a comment from someone that mentioned a washing machine in the drying room of their building, so now i'm confused. are laundry rooms and drying room actually the same thing?
Usually they are not.

It is possible that an old but working washing machine is in the drying room, which might not even be part of the rental contract and disappear if it breaks.

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:45 pm
Financially, buying an own washing machine would be cheaper than paying 50 Euro more per month in rent.

Shared washing machines with a rental system tend to be only provided by apartment rental companies like Sato or Lumo that also don't require an apartment deposit, normal buildings with individually owned apartments rarely have laundry rooms since everyone has an own washing machine.
Hmmm. I see your point. Decent washing machines are very expensive in my country, it didn't even occur to me that things might be different here so I didn't look into it. There is also the issue that i'm probably not staying here forever and selling it later will be a hassle, but. idk. i'll think about it.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Usually they are not.

It is possible that an old but working washing machine is in the drying room, which might not even be part of the rental contract and disappear if it breaks.
Thank you for the clarification on the laundry/drying room thing, that's exactly what i needed to know.
Last edited by Kregian on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:53 pm

browndude wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 am
At least from my experience, they are not the same thing.
thank you! it's nice to have it confirmed, i was feeling so confused.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:05 pm

Kregian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

Hmmm. I see your point. Decent washing machines are very expensive in my country, it didn't even occur to me that things might be different here so I didn't look into it. There is also the issue that i'm probably not staying here forever and selling it later will be a hassle,
A cheap washing machine costs only 300 Euro, if you move away after a year and get nothing for it that's 25 Euro per month.

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:08 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:05 pm
Kregian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

Hmmm. I see your point. Decent washing machines are very expensive in my country, it didn't even occur to me that things might be different here so I didn't look into it. There is also the issue that i'm probably not staying here forever and selling it later will be a hassle,
A cheap washing machine costs only 300 Euro, if you move away after a year and get nothing for it that's 25 Euro per month.
i see, thank you for giving me that average price. if you don't mind answering another question, would you recommend buying a washing machine secondhand, or is that more trouble than it is worth?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:46 pm

Kregian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:08 pm
would you recommend buying a washing machine secondhand, or is that more trouble than it is worth?
It can be cheaper.

What means of transportation do you have for a washing machine?

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:26 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:46 pm
It can be cheaper.
What means of transportation do you have for a washing machine?
None. Well, I do know someone with a car who said they'd be willing to help out if I needed it. I'd reaaaally rather not have to ask, but if a second-hand washing machine isn't a terrible option here, I might have to. :/