Helsinki or Vienna? To stay or to go?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
lucent

Post by lucent » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Hei, I have to make a choice between Finland and Austria, to stay here or to move there... And thought maybe there are people here who used to live in Vienna before they came here, and probably can compare life here and there and give me some advice.

My work contract is coming to an end soon, I have not found a new job yet, but there is this offer from Vienna. Money is same, net is a bit less than here, but everyone tells me cost of living in Vienna is cheaper than in Helsinki, which is hard to belive in. I've been considering all 'pros' and 'cons' for the past couple of weeks already, really need a good advice here. Would really appreciate if anyone can help. :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: Helsinki or Vienna? To stay or to go?

Post by DMC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I have never lived in Vienna but I have worked there (for short periods) a couple of times. My impression is that it is expensive, but when you look at surveys of the most expensive cities for expat workers it is about the same as Helsinki, so my impression was apparently false.
You definitely have work in Vienna, your contract here will finish soon and you don't have a new job lined up here? Unless you have some good reason to stay here, such as family ties, I suggest you start packing.

lucent

Post by lucent » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Well, no family ties, not that I know of :) As for work, something still might come up, I have 3-4 more months, next week going for an interview :) I'm trying to decide for myself whether at all I want to go anywhere or not. But it is hard to do, as I have no idea how is life there. In general did you like living there? I understand you did not stay for long, but still. If not to speak about job, but simply life. Knowing what it is to live here, if you'd move to Vienna, what would be different, what would you like or dislike?

Chrysoberyl

Post by Chrysoberyl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Vienna is one of the true capitals of Europe and a breathtakingly beautiful one at that.People there are polite and humorous at the same time,but not so many speak English.I'd move there if I could without even thinking.

Chrysoberyl

Post by Chrysoberyl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:16 pm

HelVie

Post by HelVie » Wed May 22, 2024 1:18 pm

Hi

I am in similar situation in year 2024. I am a Non EU expat living in Helsinki for 2 years. I have a better offer from Vienna. Should I move or stay as money is not the only factor.

I am family man with a young kid. Wife is not working at the moment.

People of Helsinki are very nice and helpful.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by HelVie on Wed May 22, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed May 22, 2024 2:54 pm

I think I can answer since I have spent time in both Helsinki and Vienna. First of all, relative to the cost of living in Helsinki, Vienna is cheaper. As for the people, they are defintely not polite and friendly :lol: -of course, everyone has their own experiences. In fact, the Viennese are known for their grumpy customer service. People do speak some English in Vienna-especially the youngsters-but not so much the older folks and you will get the most out of the city if you do speak German. Culturally, while they speak German, their attitudes are definitely not as strict as the Germans from my experience. It is a lot more diverse but the place has a big dose of racism/xenophobia from the Austrians throw into the mix as well. It has lots of beautiful world-class art/music/architecture but is not as clean nor organized nor close to nature as Helsinki is. It is relatively safe depending on the district you live in. The weather in Vienna is much better for a larger part of the year than it is in Helsinki. For someone who has lived in Finland, Viennese winters are mostly very mild and bright. Austria also has lots of great scencery but you have to travel a few hours away to reach the alps and such. It is also a lot more central than Helsinki and lots of others popular European cities and countries are fairly easily reachable. Slightly dirtier, less technologically advanced (maybe 5 years behind Helsinki in many things) and quite a bit more chaotic to drive in I would say.
ImageImage