Finnish American consulate

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Flemming

Post by Flemming » Tue May 18, 2004 8:50 pm

I sent a short email to the Finnish consulate in New York ( [email protected] ) asking about how to acquire a residency permit application and they never replied. I was told before here that I have to go in person to one of the consulates or the embassy but thats not really practical. The nearest one is the New York consulate and thats 1000 miles away. Anybody know of a better place to mail?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

eric71

Post by eric71 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:53 pm

The consulate in LA was very prompt and helpful with my residency application. I never emailed them, though. Give them a call and they will get you all the forms. Once I sent in the application they got me my permit in about 3 weeks.

Good luck,

Eric

Theriel

Post by Theriel » Tue May 18, 2004 9:59 pm

well, since i am going through this a bit myself, I can answer that. You have to contact them directly and get them to mail you the forms. They don't have them available on the website. I hope the application doesn't take too long, though, as time is kinda of the essence with me :~ Anyone know how long the ny consul usually takes?

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Tue May 18, 2004 10:05 pm

Go through LA.. much faster and people there move like the wind in California... ;)
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Tue May 18, 2004 10:16 pm

I think it depends on where you live. Consulates have regions they are responsible for. Also, the decision is actually made in Finland at the ministry of the interior (the immigration folks there). Thus, it doesn't really matter how fast the consulate is, immigration can still take as long as they like. Although, a little nudging after waiting for a while can be help.

My wife's took four months when we applied for her in January 2003.

- Jukka

Flemming

Post by Flemming » Wed May 19, 2004 12:26 am

Yeah, thanks. I guess Ill have to call the New York one (the country is divided into regions according to the site, so thats probably the one to go to). Email should be just as good, though. I would like to leave in the fall so I figure now is the time to get this done (operating under the assumption that its more difficult to find any job in the summer).

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed May 19, 2004 11:00 am

According to my experience, you have to use the consulate that serves the area where you live, unfortunately. You do not have to go to the consulate in person to get the application form- they send them to you.

I too found the LA consulate to be much nicer and more available than the NYC one, but because I am from Massachusetts I had to use the NYC one anyway.

I went through the same timeframe as jwesthues' wife- mine took 4 months total in 2001: 3 months for the decision, 3 weeks for them to notify my husband in Finland, and 1 week to make flight arrangements. :roll: Boy am I glad those days are behind us.

I'm not sure about this, but it seems that the speed in visa processing time depends on what kind of visa is being applied for....overseas work assignment, student, family connections...
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Kimi

Post by Kimi » Thu May 20, 2004 5:03 pm

About three weeks ago I contacted the NY one via email and they replied the next day, and within about five business days I had my forms. They were very prompt with me.

Flemming

Post by Flemming » Fri May 21, 2004 3:00 am

Yeah, they replied eventually. Took about a week though.

Flemming

Post by Flemming » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:44 am

Im still having to deal with these people and never got any forms. What did you ask for? I asked for a residence permit and that I gather that Ill apply for returnee status. The person Im talking with has no idea what "returnee status" is (what people here told me to apply as) and says they dont use that term. Then they asked to explain my situation and I said that Im looking to work and live in Finland and how I should be eligible for this (parent is a citizen).

I think part of the problem is that the person's English isnt all that it could be. So is there a specific form I should ask for?

zedkoman

about residence permits

Post by zedkoman » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:28 pm

Last edited by zedkoman on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:12 pm

---
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedkoman

about getting a student resident permit

Post by zedkoman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:06 am