What does "Pinnat kaipaa uudistamista." mean??

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
shrdlu

Post by shrdlu » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:13 pm

Hi there

I'm learning Finnish because I will work in Oulu for 4 months this year. My employer will rent an apartment for me. I only have information in Finnish about it so I don't understand everything. Here's the text:
"Sijoittajat / ensiasunnon ostajat !! Tarjolla hyvällä paikalla näppärä lasitetulla tilavalla parvekkeella ja makuualkovilla varustettu yksiö. Keittokomerossa alkuperäiset maalatut kalusteet. Valmiina tarjous uusista kalusteista hintaan 737 eur. Pinnat kaipaa uudistamista."

Can anyone tell me how this sounds? :wink:
Especially I would like to know what the last sentence means, because I think it has to do something with renovation or so..

Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

hemuli

Post by hemuli » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:12 pm

it means: the surface needs a renewal. It is an euphemism for an old house and in a so.. so.. condition. Also: the kitchen has its original paint. That means something after twenty years!
Usually such an appartment should be 20-30% cheaper than a comparable newer appartment.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:32 am

This advert is quiet "colloquial/slangy"...Typical Oululainen...
It is appealing to Investors or first time buyers..The situation of the property seems to be it's main +ve feature..it also has a large balcony..but this place is only a one room appartment with a corner/alcove that takes a bed..the kitchenette is very old and needs renovating and there is an offer/quote already made to do this for 737€...
The whole property needs redecorating.." Lacks a lick of paint" being the nearest English translation that I can think of for "Pinnat Kaipa Uudistamista."
It should be quiet cheap...if you are only there for 4 months..dont bother with the new kitchen offer...If you are working on the Science park/University campus, there is a good cheap restaurant..full meal costs 6.40€...your employer may also offer you lunch vouchers which are exchangable for the 6.4€ lunch at the restaurant, but they only cost you 40€ for ten. This deal is very common on the Science Park.

shrdlu

Post by shrdlu » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 pm

Thanks for these answers!

Yes, I will work on the Science Park, actually at VTT Electronics.
That advice with the lunch vouchers sounds pretty good..

Maybe one small point on your post: you used "quiet" two times, and I think you ment "quite". I know, I'm a purist.. :oops: But doesn't a software engineer have to be? 8)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:06 pm

shrdlu wrote:Maybe one small point on your post: you used "quiet" two times, and I think you ment "quite". I know, I'm a purist.. :oops: But doesn't a software engineer have to be? 8)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry..
Do you have this info..?
http://www.vtt.fi/ele/contacts/location.htm

http://www.vtt.fi/ele/contacts/

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:16 pm

People looking into the mouth of a gift horse shall be met with a herring breath.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shrdlu

Post by shrdlu » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:55 pm

Yes, thank you.
People looking into the mouth of a gift horse shall be met with a herring breath.
I know.. this saying exists in German as well, without the herring part though :lol: