Ahoy-hoy!

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Kenni

Post by Kenni » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:40 am

Hmm... sometimes I'm a bit slow... I understand the '-ko/-kö' suffixes, but I still don't quite understand the '-han' suffix.... (and would it be correct in assuming that if it was added to word with ä, ö or ü in it, the suffix would then be: '-hän'?)

I'm guessing that the '-kin' suffix is something about 'also' or 'too' or 'as well' :?

The '-ään/-aan + ei' thing seems to mean something about 'didn't either'

...and is the plural possessive suffix '-mme'?
Last edited by Kenni on Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

If only I was better at the things I attempted...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:47 am

I'd use "innit?" for -han (you got the gradiation right, but the only funny letters are ä and ö)

also don't mess the ending with the personal pronoun of s/he

onhan hän? he is, isn't he
hänhän on. but he is...

:lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:11 pm

>> And is the plural possessive suffix -mme ? <<

the "-mme" suffix means "our" as in "talossamme"( in our house )

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:05 pm

OMG- how am I ever going to speak this language! I'm now onto chapter 3 of my 'Learning Finnish' book!
I'll just keep plugging away.

Hannah :?

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:38 pm

>> how am I ever going to speak this language ? <<

You should practice your Finnish as much as possible. Write something in Finnish ( it does not matter how simple it is! ) and we will write back to you in easy Finnish! If you do not understand something, just ask!

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:20 pm

Learning Finnish : how and why? :

http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/LA/la/finnish.htm

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:52 pm

scoobymcdoo wrote:OMG- how am I ever going to speak this language!
Speaking is the easy part. Just have someone Finnish listen for you to read a nespaper out loud. When they stop giggling you've passed. (Guess how I learned to speak English)... now comprehending what you read and making sentences that don't make people giggle... :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

Kenni

Post by Kenni » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:29 am

Hank W. wrote:I'd use "innit?" for -han (you got the gradiation right, but the only funny letters are ä and ö)

also don't mess the ending with the personal pronoun of s/he

onhan hän? he is, isn't he
hänhän on. but he is...

:lol:
Ok, I think I kinda get that.... and I just absolutely love the words that can be confused for other words :lol: Oh well, I know there'll be plenty of them.... damn double letters. I'm coming from a place where slurring all your letters together to form a word with fewer syllables is the norm. And it is not helping me with inflection and all that.

scoobymcdoo wrote:OMG- how am I ever going to speak this language! I'm now onto chapter 3 of my 'Learning Finnish' book!
I'll just keep plugging away.

Hannah :?
Ah Hannah, we're in the same boat I think. Except I have only web pages as learning aids because I lack the money to go out and buy books, at least just yet....

So why are you learning Finnish? Moving right?

I don't really know why I am learning Finnish. I think I took it up mostly to challenge myself and for something to do and to learn. And I was starting to consider looking into a career as a linguist or something of that nature.

I don't know if it helps at all, but listen to some Finnish songs (with the lyrics in front of you of course). Songs that I had absolutely no idea of what they were about a few weeks ago, I can look at now and understand a word or two, a couple suffixes and sometimes a phrase or so. Also, I find it can help you a bit with some pronunciation, especially if you're a sing-along kind of person ;). While it's not a perfect way to gauge your success or anything, it is entertaining nonetheless 8)

Oh, and may I ask, what does 'oo' mean exactly? I assume it's something more in spoken Finnish. I'm taking a wild guess and saying it's a form of the verb 'to be', but I could be completely wrong (so i guess that's why i'm asking).

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:44 am

crap wrote: I'm coming from a place where slurring all your letters together to form a word with fewer syllables is the norm. And it is not helping me with inflection and all that.
Tule Tuula Tulliin, Tullissa tullataan tulitikkuja ja tuulipukuja mennen tullen. :D

come Tuula to the Customs, in the Customs are excised [fire-sticks] matches and tracksuits [wind-suit] coming and going.

tulla = to come
tule! =1.st imp.
Tuula = womans name
tuuli = wind (also a name)
Tulli = Customs
tuli = fire

OK, then have fun:

"Kun lakkaa satamasta haen lakkaa satamasta"
When it stops raining I'll go get some lacquer from the harbor :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:11 pm

>> Oh,and may I ask, what does "oo" mean exactly? <<

It is spoken Finnish, as you assumed. In standard Finnish we say "ole", as in "se ei ole totta" ( it is not true ).

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:22 pm

English-Finnish Vocabulary Quizzes at :

http://iteslj.org/v/f/

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:28 pm

valokuva = ( "light picture" ) = photograph

valo = light

kuva = picture

valokuvaus = photography

Niklas Sjöblom has a wondeful photo site at :

http://taivasalla.net/index_eng.html

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:11 pm

I don't know if it helps at all, but listen to some Finnish songs (with the lyrics in front of you of course). Songs that I had absolutely no idea of what they were about a few weeks ago, I can look at now and understand a word or two, a couple suffixes and sometimes a phrase or so. Also, I find it can help you a bit with some pronunciation, especially if you're a sing-along kind of person . While it's not a perfect way to gauge your success or anything, it is entertaining nonetheless
Does this include the Rasmus!?

I'm trying to learn Finnish as we are moving there in November. Even if I only have the basics when we move I figure that will be better than nothing at all.

Kenni

Post by Kenni » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:04 pm

Damn you Finns and your double letters! :evil: ;)

Actually, I'm not really having any problems with double vowels, but only with double consonants. Whenever I try to say them, it either sounds the same as only having one consonant, or I wind up lengthening the sound just before it.

But this helps me when I'm not sure if I'm making the right sound or not http://www.mikropuhe.com/demo.asp

Rasmus? Nah, actually, I only have 7 songs (by Maija Vilkkumaa)... but my online Finnish friend mentioned Rasmus once, I think he said that they were quite emo and that he hated them.... *shrugs shoulders*. Although I may look into getting a few of their songs sometime.

kalmisto

How to pronounce Finnish names

Post by kalmisto » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:40 pm

How to pronounce Finnish names :

http://www.sci.fi/%7Ekajun/finns/