Looking for work in Helsinki area

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Mon May 12, 2003 9:19 pm

Hey Peter,
thank you for your advice.
Yes i made personal contact with alot of people and got alot of help from some people, i even got into parts and offices in the the ports that i should not even be in, but all to no avail. Some people gave me some registers that listed companys, i phoned, visited, and e-mailed them.
I had two interviews, one guy was very sincere and said that the trucking was quite at the moment because of the war and that if it picked up again that he would consider me,
The other guy was finish born but his father was from England, he was quite young and on the day we were to meet he forgot about me, he was were airy and was not intrested!
I visited all 3 ferry terminal and looked at the trailers and took the names of the companys, these are all big companys, i will give you an example:
PNO is a big company it thakes some stuff from Ireland but it is only the trailer that is put on the ferry. When it reaches Finland the company phones a private company to take that trailer and deliver the goods reload it and bring it back to the ferry terminal. so that is where the line you need finish to work here comes in.
Yes the ferry trip is a good idea and i will have to do that.
I visited a union office in Hagga near the ice hockey hall and they gave me an old register they had that listed some companys in Finland, i will try the links you gave me.
Regards Tony

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon May 12, 2003 10:24 pm

OK Tony you are doing the right things keep trying and keep in touch we will keep our ears open.

There is one option to think about but it does needs that you own a small truck/van.
e.g. Iveco 35 (3.5 ton high top)
My brother in law (Finnish) makes a steady income here by doing pick ups and deliveries of furniture from the many furniture stores around ring three..he has also just started doing removals and house clearances. He has more work than he can handle.
Let us know next tinme you are coming here there are several irish pubs you ought to visit..you never know one of them may want a real irish bar man. :wink:

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Mon May 12, 2003 11:06 pm

Hey Peter,
Yes i met my Fiancee in Molly Malones.
She had a friend whos parents were selling a large van, and she suggested that if they did not sell the van that i should rent it. She made some enquiries and said that i needed a haulage cert to do this work.
I have this cert and went to night collage to get this cert
, and we have checked i can use it there.
Yes this a good idea.
I will be in Helsinki again in June, i might see you in mollys for a jar.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards Tony

suzy

Post by suzy » Tue May 13, 2003 2:11 am

To Daive and Hank: thanks for the info :D

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue May 13, 2003 11:54 am

Tony

One more thing, what have you been telling the people you've spoken to? "I am thinking of moving to finland" might make them think "this guy might not come, so no point considering". Best to make it seem like you have already moved (even if that is not true), because then they might think you are serious.

Regards

Tony

WebDesEyen

Post by WebDesEyen » Tue May 13, 2003 12:12 pm

tjawatts wrote: "I am thinking of moving to finland" might make them think "this guy might not come, so no point considering". Best to make it seem like you have already moved (even if that is not true), because then they might think you are serious.
hmm... excellent point here.
i'll change this in my applications as well...

would anyone be nice enough to translate (a part) of my online resume for me? pretty please? or even just check what has been done so far?
i should have studied something basic, like quantummechanics...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 13, 2003 2:45 pm

tonyvw wrote:some enquiries and said that i needed a haulage cert to do this work.
You need a haulage permit - i.e. one from the provincial govenment "lääninhallitus" if your total mass is more than 1700 kilos. To get such a permit you need to have this & that paperwork submitted. The taxi permits I know are somewhat hard to get, but don't know about haulage. There would be some office for starting enterpreneurs that would know the best.
http://finlex1.edita.fi/dynaweb/ajantas ... iell%E4+#1

Otherwise if you are running with an Irish permit, you need to have an Irish truck and IIRC you can't take local haulage.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Tue May 13, 2003 9:37 pm

Good evening all,
Thank you all again for your advice.
Hank what i have is a certificare of professional competence in road haulage.
To get a haulage permit you need 3 things:
this cert, that you are educated in road haulage and that you can be your own transport manager, you can use this cert and work as a transport manager for a company also.
2. you need financial standing, which means that for each truck or van you need a certain amount of money, but this can be got from a bank saying that they will loan you this amount, you do not need to have this money.
3. is good repudiate, which means that you have no convictions in the road haulage buisness.
so you can do this in finland, my girl friend already called the local goverment about this and my cert is ok to use there.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 14, 2003 12:09 am

OK, the thing is just people think because "Its the EU" they can do any !"#¤% they please here. The sorry truth is, "Its the EU- anywhere but in Finland". Meaning if the stuff is in the Finnish governments interest - it'll going to be "EU" and if its not - ever tried to fight a libel suit in the UK? (as in "McLibel" fame...)

I am just trying my best to be the devils advocate here - no personal wish to give you a few blows under the belt... just have had a few mates over with "oh I didnt know..."
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed May 14, 2003 3:27 pm

Tony read this in todays Helsinki Sanomat..English addition
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030513IE18

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Wed May 14, 2003 11:35 pm

Hey Peter,
it is grtting more difficult every day to get a job over there. I hope that somthing will turn up eventually.
Regards Tony,

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Mon May 19, 2003 4:35 pm

Hey Guys,
I will be in Helsinki in two weeks time, any suggestions about meeting people and who.
I have a few names to call and meet when i am there, my girlfriend will make some appointments. I will also go to the port and look to see what trucks are coming off of the boats, i will also take a trip to Sweeden to see and try to chat to the drivers on the boat, i will also ask the Sweds about the ice hockey ( hopo hopo ).
Would be greatful for any suggestions.
Regards Tony.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 19, 2003 4:51 pm

http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paikat/5/4/1/

Like the one for UFF wouldn't prolly be too picky
Cheers, Hank W.

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Mon May 19, 2003 4:52 pm

Tony,

Have you been in touch with RH Freight? They are a UK transport company that arranges truck transports to Russia through Finland. Try to get in touch with them in the UK first.

http://www.rh-freight.co.uk/

/Jeroen

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Tue May 20, 2003 8:20 pm

Hey guys,
thanks again for all the help.
I called HR freight today in England and they told me that i should call the finish office, i called and the man i spoke to said he had no jobs vacancys and not to even send my cv. to him.
But the girl in the uk was very helpful she said that they had vacancys there but you had to live in England and you might never visit Finland.
Also she said that alot of the time that they send the trailers only and no truck and use agents in otrer countrys to deliver the goods.
I also visited the Mol site Hank but you know if they see a foreign number they dont answer or they speak finish only. but then i block my number and if they dont see a number they dont answer??
But i keep trying i got one nice guy tonight who already had one irish guy work for him before, and he said he likes irish people, so i will call him when i get there. It will be foreign work but it will be a start, that is if he has a job for me at that time.
Regards to all, Tony.
P.S. keep the suggestions coming.