Dual citizenship - is there an advantage?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:06 pm

Hyvää päivää

I have dual citizenship, Canadian & New Zealand, my research hasn't indicated any advantage to me to apply for residency using one passport or another. Just on the off chance there might be something I have missed does anybody think there is an advantage of one over the other?

Kiitos
Chris

p.s. Yay, Finland now will allow it's citizens to have dual citizenship !

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:11 pm

Hello fellow Canadian :-) I think Canadian - New Zealand citizenship doesn't really have an advantage - pretty much the same thing. Perhaps one advantage is that you may not need a visa for certain countries depending on which passport you use. (Canadians need a visa for Estonia, Poland etc.) Having dual citizenship with an EU country would definitely be an advantage, since it is easier to live and work all around Europe.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:59 am

The Oz has a "Working Holiday" scheme with Finland that came into effect recently - I am not sure if New Zealand has such (with the UK atleast IIRC), but this also requires one to bugger off in a certain time so the "advantages" might prove disadvantageous.

Hrmpf... Sweden and Denmark. No Finland on the list.
http://www.southern-cross-group.org/vis ... gvisa.html

Ah, to be under 30 again...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:53 pm

Does anybody have an views on whether it would be useful to have dual citizenship with another EU country e.g. British + Finnish?

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:12 pm

Well if you are under 28 then you would have to do military service.

Obviously British citizen ship is quite good for travelling around the world (the commonwealth etc).

Finnish is good for travelling around the nordic countries. But you shouldnt have a problem with British either.

Just a couple of points. See if I can think of any more.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:38 am

But what about more long-term?

Any benefits if you get married, have kids etc.? There's also the voting thing. If you want to live here and participate in society, then I'd like ot participate in the democracy too.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:57 am

Yeah, experience the grand feeling of voting for Tony Halme... residents ccan vote in the municipal elections anyhow after a certain time (not 100% if that was EU or non-EU with a bit different rules).

In the "good old days" there were benefits, as in being able to own land, being able to own more than 49% of your company's stock, belonging to a club and not having to list yourself as a "dangerous association" with the secret police...

Now its just blah blah EU blah.
Cheers, Hank W.

*Jargoa*

Post by *Jargoa* » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:29 am

Sorry- off the topic but I am from Oz and I am thinking about getting a dual citizenship with Finland- but I have a question- Do I have to complete the basic Finnish for Foreigners test before I can apply??
Because my dad was born in Finland and now is an Australian citizen??? Very confused with the whole system.
-We do not remember days... We remember moments- Cesare Pavese

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:14 am

go read the pdf...err... well, thge appropriate one at http://www.uvi.fi on citizenship by descent
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:34 am

Niall Shaky wrote: dual citizenship with another EU country e.g. British + Finnish?
When I was at Vantaa Police station collecting my passport after they had inserted the full page certificate giving me my permanent residents status. (very impresive document!)...I asked if there was any advantage to adding Finnish citizenship to my British and the lady said "none what so ever why do you want to do it?, If you were under 30 it would mean you would join our wonderfull army for a year and play soldiers in the forest." I answered "I just want to be different, I prefer Finland to UK and also want to show Tony Blair the finger!?" She smiled and said "I dont think the British embassy would sympathise as to that being a good enough reason they have to approve such applications and you need a better reason."

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:44 pm

What about when they eventually kick us out of the EU, or when our colinisation by america becomes official?