kesäyliopisto

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
BAT

kesäyliopisto

Post by BAT » Sun May 04, 2003 9:11 pm

Anyone studying Finnish this summer at the Kesäyliopisto in Helsinki?

I'm taking Finnish for Foreigners levels 2A, 3A, 4A from June to August - in the mornings. Perhaps I'll see some of you there?

If anyone is interested, more info on Kesäyliopisto can be found here - http://www.kesayliopistohki.fi/summerun.html

BAT :D

kesäyliopisto

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun May 04, 2003 10:40 pm

Is it too late to apply now? I would like to do level 4 or 5 and maybe the conversation group. If you pay at the office do they let you know if there is a place before you pay. This pay before confirmation sucks!

Tony :D

BAT

Post by BAT » Mon May 05, 2003 9:30 am

Hi Tony,

No, it isn't too late at all. There are really friendly in the office - so give them a call and ask if there are some spots open on the course you want. When I called, there wasn't anyone in mine, but I hope that this month there will be at least 9 others joining so the courses will run! I'm a teacher so have my summers off, so that is why the morning is best for me. Perhaps there is more competition amongst the working folk for the evening classes.

BAT :)

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 05, 2003 9:52 am

Here is some contact info:

Leena Ruhanen

Helsingin yliopiston kielikeskus
Kielipalvelut
Aleksanterinkatu 7, (2. kerros)
00014 Helsingin yliopisto
Puh. 09-191 23234
Faksi 09-191 22753
[email protected]
http://www.helsinki.fi/kksc/language.services

kielipalvelut [email protected]

University of Helsinki Language Centre
Language Services
Aleksanterinkatu 7 (2nd floor)
00014 University of Helsinki
Tel. int. (+358-9-) 191 23234
Fax int. (+358-9-) 191 22753
[email protected]
http://www.helsinki.fi/kksc/language.services

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 05, 2003 1:05 pm

tjawatts wrote:This pay before confirmation sucks!
...like on the M-train?

There is a logic there, they need to find the time&space + teacher. By charging beforehand they make sure they can cover the costs, as very many people are... shouldn't say unreliable, but if they don't have put up any money up front they can do a no-show far more easily. And then imagine trying to charge for no-shows??? There's also people that are into these "free& cheap" courses and hoard them up just as a habit and then forfeit without much adieu. And they reserve the seat from someone that really wants to come. So if you pay beforehand it is much more likely that you'll show up or then let your place for someone else. Unfortunately for you, the most popular courses do get overbooked so it may seem they're just trying to make a fast one, but knowing the bureaucracy they're surprisingly effective.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Mon May 05, 2003 5:18 pm

I see the point. Anyway I am now signed up, level 5 group A and conversation group A. Maybe I will continue on to 6, 7,8 depending on how it goes. Then maybe I can get a job, if I can speak the lingo!

Anyone else signed up?

Tony 8)

BAT

Post by BAT » Mon May 05, 2003 6:35 pm

tjawatts wrote:I see the point. Anyway I am now signed up, level 5 group A and conversation group A. Maybe I will continue on to 6, 7,8 depending on how it goes. Then maybe I can get a job, if I can speak the lingo!

Anyone else signed up?

Tony 8)
Sorry Tony, you are too advanced for me. I'm only good enough to skip level one and struggle along starting from level 2. Have a good time though!

BAT

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon May 05, 2003 7:40 pm

tjawatts wrote: I am now signed up, level 5 group A and conversation group A. Maybe I will continue on to 6, 7,8 depending on how it goes.

Anyone else signed up?

I'll join you for level 5. And I'm also planning to take at least level 6.
Hope the courses are not yet full!

antónio

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Mon May 05, 2003 8:19 pm

Good, maybe we will meet on the 17th (see thread re drinks). Then we will recognise each other at the class.

Regards

Tony

BAT

Post by BAT » Tue May 06, 2003 9:38 pm

Ho hum... First I can't find an exercise buddy in Myyrmäki, now I can't find a study buddy for Kesäyliopisto Finnish classes...

*big pout*

BAT :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 07, 2003 8:14 am

Reverend Peter the Hullu Karhu is ready for exorcism at Pub Rio Grande on a regular basis methinks in Myyrmäki ;-)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

BAT

Post by BAT » Wed May 07, 2003 5:17 pm

Well, if I asked for drinking buddies from the . Myyrmäki chapter...

(BAT sees all hands rising!)

:D