Pronunciation

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike

Is the finnish pronounciation hard for you? Or was, when you learned finnish?

Very hard (almost unutterable)
6%
Hard (I must check myself of my pronounciation)
13%
Sometime I have problem with a/ä/e
27%
Normal (I can speak without any problem)
25%
Very easy
29%

Total votes: 52

p19

Pronunciation

Post by p19 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:06 pm

Is the finnish pronunciation hard for you?
I think, that for people from some nations can be.

Backwards for finnish is hard pronunciation of languages in which are many consonants.
I´m czech, and sentence "strc* prst skrz krk" (it means "put the finger through the nek") is for finnish unutterable, becouse there are any vowels.

So if you want to write whether is finnish pronounciation hard for you, or if is hard pronounciation of your language for finnish (you can add some funny story), you are welcome!

Image + Image

Pronunciation

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:53 pm

I find the "r" difficult because it is pronounced very differently to the French "r" which I am used to. I also have problems with "y" in words like "syöta" but I try to remember it's a bit like the French "eu" only more open. That shaggy rug word is horrible "ryijy". But what makes Finnish pronounciation/reading really soooo easy is that once you know how each letter's sound you can read almost any word... In English there are over 40 phonemes and many of them can be spelt in several different ways, and in French there are many many silent letters, which makes those languages quite hard to read.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:09 am

My lazy American mouth has most trouble with y and ö and especially if they are together yö, öy. The R is no trouble because I took a few years of Spanish. Although I HATE HATE HATE the word öljy!!! I will probably life out the rest of my days in Finland never speaking of oil. Also, getting too many double letters in one word has a way of intimidating me. If it has over 5 pairs of double letters I have to stop and plan my attack first. But other than that, my husband can understand me most of the time, so I must be doing okay.

suomiruli

Post by suomiruli » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:53 pm

I don't follow any courses finnish, i just teach myself finnish by internet, so yes, then it is difficult.... But i listen to samples and sometimes to finnish radio and that helps a lot. But that 'r' is very difficult i think and that needs much practice. In the dutch language there is not a real 'r', so that's difficult to pronounce for me.. And sometimes that yö is difficult and words with much ä's and ö's in combination with y's scare me sometimes off a bit, but in fact that is not the most difficult. That's that 'r' for me. :P:)

Jarkka

Post by Jarkka » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:29 am

"p19", good to have a Czech here!

How do you pronounce "strc* prst skrz krk" then? Can you write it using a phonetic alphabet please...?

Or, could you at least explain "Vlk", as I've always wondered about how Czech (and Slovak, for that matter) ice hockey players' names should be pronounced.

p19

Post by p19 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Sorry but I can´t write it in phonetic transcription, because I don´t know, how to insert special characters.
But..
Strc* (put)
s - like in the word see
t - like in the word to
r - like in the word ring, but more sharp
c - like in the word chose (*written with hook over the character)

prst (finger - in czech no arcticles)
p - like in the word put
r - some like the character explained above
s - some like the character explained above
t - some like the character explained above

skrz (through)
k - like in the word cut
z - like in the word frozen

krk (throat)
k - some like the character explained above
Vlk (susi, wolf) - is readed how is written [vl´k]
It is one syllabe, in Czech can be in some cases "r" or "l" syllabic peak too.
Ussualy in most "normal - nonexotic" languages it can be only vowel.
Image + Image

karen

Post by karen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:44 am

I don't really have any problems speaking it. Like mookoo, I do have to plan my attacks on the really long words. I also don't like öljy, but don't have a problem with those letters in other words. I'm really happy to not have met anyone named Kyösti yet. As for the R, I'm not sure mine sound like. I don't really try to roll them, but I never get busted for it in my Finnish class. Maybe they sound okay. My son's name starts with R, but I don't roll it when I call him. I might when I talk to Finns, though. I'll have to pay more attention.

meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:09 am

p19 wrote:Sorry but I can´t write it in phonetic transcription, because I don´t know, how to insert special characters.
But..
Strc* (put)
s - like in the word see
t - like in the word to
r - like in the word ring, but more sharp
c - like in the word chose (*written with hook over the character)

prst (finger - in czech no arcticles)
p - like in the word put
t - some like the character explained above

skrz (through)
k - like in the word cut
z - like in the word frozen

krk (throat)
Vlk (susi, wolf) - is readed how is written [vl´k]
It is one syllabe, in Czech can be in some cases "r" or "l" syllabic peak too.
Ussualy in most "normal - nonexotic" languages it can be only vowel.
And what about that "v like hat" simbol over the S and Z,?? i think is caron its name,,how do you pronounce it??
""Mynna tachton gemasti spuhu somen gelen muta emyna dayda""

Post by 159753 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:58 am

č, š, ž the hat is called a háček, and it used in Eastern European languages the indicate a light h sound after the letter, č →ch, š→sh ž→zh (like the j in the French word bonjour). You may need to know this that háčeks are used in Finnish to indicate the slight h sound, which exists in Russian and Estonian loanwords.

They say that Czech is one of the most difficult Indo-European to speak especially, the ř sound and the lack of vowels.

khu

Post by khu » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:10 pm

It took me a couple weeks of practice saying the name Dvořak for a native Czech friend I have in the States to say that my pronunciation was 'exactly right'. It's the ř for sure. But then her intonation sounded strange to my ears for that word. Definitely one of the harder words I've ever tried to pronounce.

Tellervo

Post by Tellervo » Mon May 09, 2005 9:56 am

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am new to the site and had to cast my vote! hehe.
I voted the second - it was the most suitable for me - I think the pronunciation is easy for me if I go slow! The best thing about Finnish is that you say it how it is written! I live in Australia (was born here to Finnish parents) and now have 4 children to raise - and let me tell you, I would much prefer to teach them to read Finnish!
Heidi xx
~making my way to learn more about my background~

p19

Post by p19 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:29 pm

Tellervo wrote:Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am new to the site and had to cast my vote! hehe.
I voted the second - it was the most suitable for me - I think the pronunciation is easy for me if I go slow! The best thing about Finnish is that you say it how it is written! I live in Australia (was born here to Finnish parents) and now have 4 children to raise - and let me tell you, I would much prefer to teach them to read Finnish!
But for example for me I´m Czech and it is really easy for me to read the finnish, because it is readed how is it written as Czech. But if your mother language is English, it can be had, because it is very different between writing and reading. And it is very hard fo us, when we must to learn every word twice - how is it wittem amd how it is readed.
Image + Image

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:02 am

Hi I'm Australian too! :D

I learnt to read phonetically, (even if it isn't correct for lots of English words) so reading something how it is written is easy for me.