Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citizen?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
onkko

Re: Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citizen?

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Hank W. wrote:
onkko wrote: I think there is no problem if you speak atleast english. Finnish will be kicked in you ;)
Äh, its not the legion d'etrageres you know.
You can hope, cant you?

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

OK, so for koli and Robv and others - getting the Finnish citizenship is a PRIVILEGE, not something to be considered lightly. Now as far as the legislation goes it is every Finnish male citizens' DUTY to serve the country. (These days women also may serve if they wish to). Finnish male citizens are in military duty ages 18-65, and are drafted at age 18. The most usual way is to serve in the defence forces, depending of the training from 6-12 months. And then if you are in the (un?)lucky few you get called in for reserve trainings like me. However if you are an objector you can serve unarmed in the military, or then do "civil service" which is at the moment 13 months. However once you hit 30 you're in the 2nd class of reserves so they won't waste the training on you. http://www.mil.fi => english has a PDF of "how stuff works", and http://www.sivarikeskus.fi/index2.html If you are a naturalized citizen you can skivvy if you have served in your own country's military.

Now what Onkko and Rinso say though is very true. There is a certain "attitude". Now approximately 90% of a give age group goes to the army. You can get "red papers" or "green papers" i.e. get off if you are medically unfit (being gay was one reason to get a medical in my days) or otherwise unfit (read: dishonorable discharge). And then you can go "conscientious". Now as there are some liabilities regarding military service, for example getting a job you are asked to tick in the box - basically they won't hire you if theres a danger you'll be carted off for a year. Also if you've been discharged on medical reasons for madness... hrm. Especially in certain companies there is a high emphasis on the reserve NCO and officer training and the "leadership skills". So this means the conservative and older crowd think of objectors as a bit of a sissy crowd (though they have to face a lot more crap) and someone refusing to serve almost like a traitor.

So waiting to be naturalized a few years "over the danger zone" will give a good solid excuse you don't need to explain yourself at all. Even Roo is all touchey-feeley there might be some Home-Religion-Fatherland type sitting behind the desk hiring ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:49 pm

RobV wrote:Hmm, so according to the above, if I were to marry my Finnish girlfriend and thus acquire Finnish citizenship; I would have to serve a 6-month term in the army?
That would make for tons of fun, as I don't speak a single sentence of Finnish right now (1 month in Finland).
you cant be citizen of Finland without knowing the language :) you can apply for citizenship when you learn the language and stay here something like 3-5 years :)

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 pm

you cant be citizen of Finland without knowing the language :) you can apply for citizenship when you learn the language and stay here something like 3-5 years :)
Well if the OP speaks Swedish, that is also enough for citizenship, no need for Finnish.

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:54 pm

onkko wrote:
roo wrote:
onkko wrote:Finnish army is for showing to "big bear" in east that we arent that cheap to conguer.
Its not for war nor anything like that, its for well enough defence to make attacker to rethink if attacking is good think to do.
If you dont want to be part of it then dont live in here.

Again Onkko... answer the f%&#ing question or shut the f%#4 up knob jockey! No one is interested in your racist, attacking style of commenting! If I was a Finnish I would be ashamed and embarrassed about your comments. Its people like you who give Finn's a bad name.

What are you doing on a Finland Forum site anyway?

Roo
That wasnt racist or attacking, it was statement.

The FACT that service is regarded as becoming a man is not clear to you, if you dont do your time in service youre outcast, weird, there is something wrong in you. Of course no one says that because it would be illegal but that is how it is.
There is enormous pressure of culture to do service, you dont see it because you arent finnish.
Few points about service.
- Employers will look for it and if you didnt do it it will be -
- Other people will ask where you served and if you didnt do your time that will be -
- Its common subject of discussion.

Service in army is when you become an adult, if you cant do that youre worthless. Thats direct way to say how it is. Its illegal to discriminate someone because of army but that happens. My last employer said directly he wont hire anyone who hasnt be in army.

Im here to give genuine finnish opinion with explanations if needed, why you are here?
You cant just tell people to go away from Finland that easly and say that its not racist or attacking because it is! if he doesnt want to serve in Finnish army it can be understandable,so he wont be citizen of Finland! and as he said he isnt specifcly against serving in Finnish army he is against armies! he can do social work instead of army stuff if its acceptable in Finland!so dont act like minister of "go away from Finland" here plaese..

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:56 pm

interleukin wrote:
Well if the OP speaks Swedish, that is also enough for citizenship, no need for Finnish.
Well thats right but he didnt mention about swedish either :)

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm

There is law what forbits discrimination BUT
Yes they can tell you @#$% off if you didnt do your time in army
Yes they can ask about army
Yes they can ask about your time in army,
Whatever you like army is somethong what matters, people will know.
If you dont do army... its almost as bad as treason, something unbelieviable. i know this because neugbour didnt go in army, oh gossips... you can do your time in other country tho
It is really as bad as treason if you dont go in army, you really have to serve your time.

Thats finnish point of wiev to you :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:02 pm

I think actually in Turkey its a bit similar attitude. But there its... 2 years? So trying to slide it is of course understandable.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 pm

FIRAT wrote:You cant just tell people to go away from Finland that easly and say that its not racist or attacking because it is!
Well, actually it isn't quite, as we tend to say that also to Finns, and for a Finn ists much more difficult to leave. In the 1930's if you were a communist they would put you into a car and drive you to the USSR border and kick you onto the other side with greetings to "go live in your paradise" ;) As I said think Onkko is Ergenekon to understand the philosophy of his viewpoint ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Hank W. wrote:I think actually in Turkey its a bit similar attitude. But there its... 2 years? So trying to slide it is of course understandable.

its not 2 years its 15 months and if you are graduated from universty its 6 months :) i dont like army stuff either and dont wanna be in Turkish army or Finnish army either but i will do army here even though i dont really want but to be equal ;)

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Hank W. wrote:
FIRAT wrote:You cant just tell people to go away from Finland that easly and say that its not racist or attacking because it is!
Well, actually it isn't quite, as we tend to say that also to Finns, and for a Finn ists much more difficult to leave. In the 1930's if you were a communist they would put you into a car and drive you to the USSR border and kick you onto the other side with greetings to "go live in your paradise" ;) As I said think Onkko is Ergenekon to understand the philosophy of his viewpoint ;)
Its not 1930`s :D world has changed pretty much since then ;) if you compare this time and 30`s then blacks still shouldnt drink from the public water taps used by whites ;) and sorry i really didnt catch up news about Ergenekon stuff in Turkey so i am knowless about that subject :D

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:23 pm

FIRAT wrote:
Hank W. wrote:
Its not 1930`s :D world has changed pretty much since then ;) if you compare this time and 30`s then blacks still shouldnt drink from the public water taps used by whites ;) and sorry i really didnt catch up news about Ergenekon stuff in Turkey so i am knowless about that subject :D
It isnt 1930 but people still feel like it and act accordingly.
Im black omen telling truth to you :evil:

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Well, actually it isn't quite, as we tend to say that also to Finns, and for a Finn ists much more difficult to leave. In the 1930's if you were a communist they would put you into a car and drive you to the USSR border and kick you onto the other side with greetings to "go live in your paradise" ;) As I said think Onkko is Ergenekon to understand the philosophy of his viewpoint ;)[/quote]

Its not 1930`s :D world has changed pretty much since then ;) if you compare this time and 30`s then blacks still shouldnt drink from the public water taps used by whites ;) and sorry i really didnt catch up news about Ergenekon stuff in Turkey so i am knowless about that subject :D[/quote]

It isnt 1930 but people still feel like it and act accordingly.
Im black omen telling truth to you :evil:[/quote]

Its obvious that you still feel like you are in 30`s :) but dont just talk for other people i havent met any other person than you who feels like 30`s :) as Hank said about what did Finns do in 30`s do you still pick up comminists to bring to Russia or China nowadays? :D

koli

Post by koli » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:29 pm

I am so surprised with so many replies in such a short time. Apparently, it's quite a sensitive issue to many people. I don't care about the racist comments etc. I have made up my mind that I will do Civil Service instead, even though it would be for 13 months!

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:33 pm

koli wrote:I am so surprised with so many replies in such a short time. Apparently, it's quite a sensitive issue to many people. I don't care about the racist comments etc. I have made up my mind that I will do Civil Service instead, even though it would be for 13 months!

I aprricate you :) i would have like to do civil service too but 13 months is a bit too long for me :D and as you can see some people just cant be understanding enough to people who doesnt want to be in any army but telling you to go away :)