How does finnish sound like?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:23 am

I have no idea what Finnish sounds like, because i've never heard it spoken before. But i like how it looks. :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:46 am

Well, if you go to http://www.yle.fi or www. mtv3.fi and click "uutiset" you can get the news broadcast. Just watch out you don't click on tv-nytt as that has the Swedish news.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:51 am

Right. What do i click on after "uutiset"??? :shock:

Falling Rain

Post by Falling Rain » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 am

Hang on, i think i've found it. Well, i found something anyway. Wow, it does sound slightly monotonous!! Then again, i am listening to the news. :lol:

B

Post by B » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:33 am

The very first time i heard finnish it was a whole new thing for me. Never heard anything similar to that. Yet the sound of vowels is similar to spanish with few excemptions, it didn't remind me of spanish at all.

Sometimes when i hear my husband talking to somone i don't perceive any emotion either and definitely they seem not to breath at all. And then, at the end of the looong sentence(s), they laugh or they remain silent [joo, niin niin, etc.]. I think i stopped giving to much relevance to that, which at the beginning made me feel weird.
:roll:

What remains interesting is the volume of the voice, as if they would be whispering, of course that changes when having some beers or vodka. :wink:

Amiel

Post by Amiel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:22 pm

B wrote:Sometimes when i hear my husband talking to somone i don't perceive any emotion either and definitely they seem not to breath at all. And then, at the end of the looong sentence(s), they laugh or they remain silent [joo, niin niin, etc.]. I think i stopped giving to much relevance to that, which at the beginning made me feel weird. :roll:
I in fact learnt the word NIIN from listening to my boyfriend when he's on the phone with his friend. I think the word sounds cute :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:44 pm

Amiel wrote:I in fact learnt the word NIIN from listening to my boyfriend when he's on the phone with his friend. I think the word sounds cute :wink:
Probably would not sound so "cute" if you knew what was said by his friend that prompted the response "niin" which = "so!"

It can mean "That is so..I agreee!"...but....
It is often used as short versions of "so what!" or "so, what the hell do you mean by that!?"
Depends on the voice intonation.
Non niin...

B

Post by B » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:28 pm

Yes, actually that is something i'm learning. Even though some finnish expressions migth sound nice or cute, they do not necessarily refer to something nice or cute.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:47 pm

Am I the only person who thinks that Portuguese (can't speak for Brazilian Portuguese) sounds like a sort of Latinised Russian?

Aja hiljaa yli sillan sounds pretty.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:02 pm

Am I the only person who thinks that Portuguese (can't speak for Brazilian Portuguese) sounds like a sort of Latinised Russian?

Not at all, many finns think the same. Somtimes they even admit to "knowing russian" :?:
wonder if this is a finnish thing or others think nationals share the same opinion.

korppu

Post by korppu » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:05 pm

otyikondo wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that Portuguese (can't speak for Brazilian Portuguese) sounds like a sort of Latinised Russian?

Aja hiljaa yli sillan sounds pretty.
I agree. Both Portugese and Russian have a kind of melancholic, singing tone to them. And then those ch-sounds. I like the sound of both.

When my American (US and Mexican) friends describe Finnish they make this noise that reminds of a child making the sound effects to a machine gun; takatakatakataka. I have enterpreted that as "monotonous" and "hard".

I think Finnish flows and sounds beautiful. I remember in my swedish school, when I was bored, I used to translate random sentences from Swedish to Finnish, and they all came out sounding like poetry. :D

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:00 pm

korppu wrote:making the sound effects to a machine gun; takatakatakataka.
Or maybe a train takatakatakataka öööööö öööööö!

Emi

Post by Emi » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:03 pm

lol
Und die jahre ziehen ins Land und wir trinken immer noch ohne Verstand...

korppu

Post by korppu » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:21 pm

mookoo wrote:
korppu wrote:making the sound effects to a machine gun; takatakatakataka.
Or maybe a train takatakatakataka öööööö öööööö!
öööööööö öööööööö? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: and with an exclamation (!) mark? :lol: :lol:

hmm..I guess I have to add "like somebody with constipation" to the list :D

WELSH79

Post by WELSH79 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:46 am

well men finns sound sexy lol woman speaking in finnish sounds different