Do i meet the requirements of Permanent residence permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
paharjoyi

Post by paharjoyi » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:30 pm

Hi,

I received my continuous work permit in August of 2019. From August 2019 to August 2023, I have lived in Finland for 2.1 years (25 months). During this entire 4-year period, I didn't take any social security benefits. Additionally, I have worked as a full-time engineer for 3 years within this 4-year time frame. What do you guys think? Am I eligible for permanent residency?

It's worth mentioning that I have already received another continuous work permit from August 2023 to August 2027.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Do i meet the requirements of Permanent residence permit?

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:37 pm

paharjoyi wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:30 pm
I received my continuous work permit in August of 2019. From August 2019 to August 2023, I have lived in Finland for 2.1 years (25 months). During this entire 4-year period, I didn't take any social security benefits. Additionally, I have worked as a full-time engineer for 3 years within this 4-year time frame. What do you guys think? Am I eligible for permanent residency?

It's worth mentioning that I have already received another continuous work permit from August 2023 to August 2027.
Have you read the full conditions here? Is there any that you think you don’t satisfy?

https://migri.fi/en/permanent-residence-permit

paharjoyi

Post by paharjoyi » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:56 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:37 pm
paharjoyi wrote:

Have you read the full conditions here? Is there any that you think you don’t satisfy?

I have read through it several times and even went through the translation on Finlex law. Look at what I have found from Finlex. "(1) A permanent residence permit is issued to aliens who, after being issued with a continuous
residence permit, have resided legally in the country for a continuous period of four years if the
requirements for issuing an alien with a continuous residence permit are still met and there are no
obstacles to issuing a permanent resident permit under this Act. Residence is considered
continuous if an alien has resided in Finland for at least half the validity period of the residence
permit. Absence resulting from ordinary holiday or other travel or work at a work site abroad on
secondment by a Finnish employer is not considered an interruption of continuous residence." . Everything seems fine to my eyes. I would like to know if someone in this forum has had a similar situation to mine and what kind of decision they have received.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:33 pm

paharjoyi wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:56 pm
Everything seems fine to my eyes.
Unless you are really worried about the application fee, there’s really not much downside to just applying and finding out.

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:21 am

paharjoyi wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:37 pm
paharjoyi wrote:

I have read through it several times and even went through the translation on Finlex law. Look at what I have found from Finlex. "(1) A permanent residence permit is issued to aliens who, after being issued with a continuous
residence permit, have resided legally in the country for a continuous period of four years if the
requirements for issuing an alien with a continuous residence permit are still met and there are no
obstacles to issuing a permanent resident permit under this Act. Residence is considered
continuous if an alien has resided in Finland for at least half the validity period of the residence
permit. Absence resulting from ordinary holiday or other travel or work at a work site abroad on
secondment by a Finnish employer is not considered an interruption of continuous residence." . Everything seems fine to my eyes. I would like to know if someone in this forum has had a similar situation to mine and what kind of decision they have received.
You don't mention when you've arrived to Finland and if you had another type of residence permit before. The way I understand what you wrote is that you've only lived in Finland for 25 months.

You will not get it if you haven't lived in Finland for four years, you can apply 3 month before the 4 years mark.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:30 pm

gramirezv wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:21 am
You don't mention when you've arrived to Finland and if you had another type of residence permit before. The way I understand what you wrote is that you've only lived in Finland for 25 months.

You will not get it if you haven't lived in Finland for four years, you can apply 3 month before the 4 years mark.
Read again and spot: ” Residence is considered
permit.”

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:14 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:30 pm
gramirezv wrote:

permit.”
Yes residence is considered continuous, but also the text says:
A permanent residence permit is issued to aliens who, after being issued with a continuous
obstacles to issuing a permanent resident permit under this Act.
So just by reading this, it's not clear to me if OP has been living in Finland for the 4 years as the text says

paharjoyi

Post by paharjoyi » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:21 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:33 pm
paharjoyi wrote:
Unless you are really worried about the application fee, there’s really not much downside to just applying and finding out.
I have applied just few days ago and still in the stage "waiting for processing"

paharjoyi

Post by paharjoyi » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:27 pm

gramirezv wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:14 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:30 pm
gramirezv wrote:

permit.”
Yes residence is considered continuous, but also the text says:
A permanent residence permit is issued to aliens who, after being issued with a continuous
obstacles to issuing a permanent resident permit under this Act.
So just by reading this, it's not clear to me if OP has been living in Finland for the 4 years as the text says
I was in Finland from the beginning of my continuous work permit, and I lived in another country for around 23 months during my 4-year period of residence. By the way, I have already received another work permit for 4 years (applied for a work permit extension). So, I have already received my continuous work permit for another 4 years. Doesn't this automatically make me eligible for permanent residence as per the law?

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:14 pm

With the information you provided, it looks to me that you haven't lived in Finland the amount of time they require (4 years), but I'm no expert I'm just interested in the topic.

I guess you will find out when you receive the decision as you have already applied, best of luck! :thumbsup:

Here you can find more information about periods of residence
https://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-th ... residence.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:14 pm

gramirezv wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:14 pm
With the information you provided, it looks to me that you haven't lived in Finland the amount of time they require (4 years), but I'm no expert I'm just interested in the topic.

I guess you will find out when you receive the decision as you have already applied, best of luck! :thumbsup:

That link relates to citizenship. Citizenship and permanent resident permit rules are not the same.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:16 pm

paharjoyi wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:21 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:33 pm
paharjoyi wrote:
I have applied just few days ago and still in the stage "waiting for processing"
It will continue to be for a long time. The current processing time estimate for electronic applications is about a year.

https://migri.fi/en/processing-times

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:28 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:14 pm
gramirezv wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:14 pm

That link relates to citizenship. Citizenship and permanent resident permit rules are not the same.
You are right, that link is for citizenship.

But the even so, the text for permanent residency states:

A permanent residence permit is valid until further notice. In other words, its period of validity is not limited. You can get a permanent residence permit if:
  • you have lived in Finland for an uninterrupted period of 4 years with a continuous residence permit (an A permit);
    and
    the requirements for issuing a continuous residence permit are still met.

So my point was that even if you have had a 4 year residence permit, if you haven't lived in the country for the whole duration you are not fulfilling the first requirement

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:36 am

gramirezv wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:28 am
betelgeuse wrote:

A permanent residence permit is valid until further notice. In other words, its period of validity is not limited. You can get a permanent residence permit if:
  • you have lived in Finland for an uninterrupted period of 4 years with a continuous residence permit (an A permit);
    and

So my point was that even if you have had a 4 year residence permit, if you haven't lived in the country for the whole duration you are not fulfilling the first requirement
You again keep ignoring this: ”you need to have resided in Finland for at least 2 years during the past 4 years.”

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:24 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:36 am
gramirezv wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:28 am
betelgeuse wrote:

and

You again keep ignoring this: ”you need to have resided in Finland for at least 2 years during the past 4 years.”
And you keep ignoring what I highlighted above.

What you mentioned only refers to defining if you are considered to have a valid continuous residence permit, not how long you need to have lived in Finland to fulfill the first requirement listed, it's not that you can interpret and choose the requirements that apply