Gas equipment regulations, where to find

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am

Can anyone find me the link or website, where I can find the regulations / requirements for gas equipment.

Reason: I have a gas stove with electrical oven. Now the gas bottle (nestekaasu) needs to be connected by a hose (30mBar system).
I have been told that the hose cannot be longer than 1,2m.

I can buy a certified hose at Biltema from 2m,

I can buy pre-fitted with connections a hose from 5m and 10m at Puuilo.

So what is the deal here? Where do I find this information... google and duckduckgo were not my friend today...

The 2m would really be perfect for my situation, it will save me from making (shortcut) holes in cupboards.
The guy in the gas appliances store told me not to worry, nobody checks and the 1.2m is arbitrary, something with shut off valve being close to the appliance in case of emergency.

Is there anyone that can point me to the right webpage? TUKES page does not say anything about the length, only the rated pressure to be 15 Bar and inside diameter being 10mm.

Waiting anxiously for all your input on this..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Gas equipment regulations, where to find

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:14 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am
Can anyone find me the link or website, where I can find the regulations / requirements for gas equipment.

Reason: I have a gas stove with electrical oven. Now the gas bottle (nestekaasu) needs to be connected by a hose (30mBar system).
I have been told that the hose cannot be longer than 1,2m.

I can buy a certified hose at Biltema from 2m,

I can buy pre-fitted with connections a hose from 5m and 10m at Puuilo.

So what is the deal here? Where do I find this information... google and duckduckgo were not my friend today...

The 2m would really be perfect for my situation, it will save me from making (shortcut) holes in cupboards.
The guy in the gas appliances store told me not to worry, nobody checks and the 1.2m is arbitrary, something with shut off valve being close to the appliance in case of emergency.

Is there anyone that can point me to the right webpage? TUKES page does not say anything about the length, only the rated pressure to be 15 Bar and inside diameter being 10mm.

Waiting anxiously for all your input on this..
https://www.google.com/search?q=nestekaasuletku+pituus will give you results (in Finnish), many of which state that the maximum lenght of hose for domestic gas burning equipment is 1,2m. Also the document (in Finnish) at the bottom of the page https://tukes.fi/koti-ja-vapaa-aika/kaasulaitteet states the same. There's also a mention of using a solid pipe, if supplying multiple pieces of equipment from the same gas source, or if the lenght is more than 1,2m, or if the gas bottle is located outside. Even though I didn't find a direct link to any regulation, I think it's safe to say 1,2m is the maximum lenght for a rubber hose (along with other requirements, e.g., maximum 10mm in diameter and has to be made for that purpose).

If you live in a housing company, definitely check with them first. Also, I'd suggest using a professional installer in any case.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 am

Thanks for the info FinnGuyHelsinki,

I downloaded the PDF, I will translate it with ChatGPT and double check the translation with Google, this has proved to be giving me a good result in translations without too much errors in the past.

It is weird though that I could also not find anything about this in English, one would expect these kind of things to be available in English as well (especially for tourists in summer cottages).

It would be nice to find the actual regulation text about the length of the hose, the store manager told me he did not know where to get it either and in his opinion it is an arbitrary length, as said in my previous post, supposed to have anything to do with the distance to the shut off valve.

Now in my situation it does not matter so much, it is just making me need to cut a hole in the closet where the gas bottle is, instead of putting the hose in an "S" shape over the edge of the first closet wall, then under the next closet wall to the stove..basically the bottle and the stove are 20cm apart next to each other with 2 closet walls of wood, 1,5mm each, between them (basically one double wall of 20cm thick with an air space between both sides of 15cm where the hose could go)...
I guess to follow regulations as described int he document, I will need to make a hole in the closet instead, so the hose can go strait instead of with an "S" curve.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:35 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 am
It would be nice to find the actual regulation text about the length of the hose, the store manager told me he did not know where to get it either and in his opinion it is an arbitrary length, as said in my previous post, supposed to have anything to do with the distance to the shut off valve.
Send a question to Tukes and they should tell you.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:22 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:35 am
NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 am
Send a question to Tukes and they should tell you.
I did, thanks for the suggestion.
Waiting their answer.
I will update the topic with their answer as soon as I get it.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:05 pm

Tukes answer:
The regulations for LPG installations at home or e.g. in leisure accommodation vehicles are given in the decree on safety requirements for use of LPG no. 858/2012. This decree is intended for industrial scale use and also for small scale use at home or for leisure purposes.

The annex of the decree contains the requirements for small scale use at home or for leisure purposes, i.e. leisure accommodation vehicles or boats.

It is stated in the annex that the maximum length of gas hose for installations at home can be 1,2 meters. The background for this exact limit is quite simple, i.e. there must be some given limitation for the length of the gas hose.
In other words, the length is arbitrary and serves no other purpose than to put a limit somewhere.
It is therefor not a particular safety issue.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:52 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:05 pm
Tukes answer:
The regulations for LPG installations at home or e.g. in leisure accommodation vehicles are given in the decree on safety requirements for use of LPG no. 858/2012. This decree is intended for industrial scale use and also for small scale use at home or for leisure purposes.

The annex of the decree contains the requirements for small scale use at home or for leisure purposes, i.e. leisure accommodation vehicles or boats.

It is stated in the annex that the maximum length of gas hose for installations at home can be 1,2 meters. The background for this exact limit is quite simple, i.e. there must be some given limitation for the length of the gas hose.
In other words, the length is arbitrary and serves no other purpose than to put a limit somewhere.
In case of an accident, possibly it will be an insurance issue, if a hose not meeting the requirements has been used.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:48 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:52 am
NukkuMatti wrote:
Tukes answer:

In case of an accident, possibly it will be an insurance issue, if a hose not meeting the requirements has been used.
Indeed that is true.

However, an accident with gas, means most of the time "fire" and when the house is build of wood (pretty common in Finland), there will most likely be nothing left to measure the original length of the hose, if it were 1,2 or 1,3 meter, especially if the the bottle is 20cm next to the appliance.
We are not talking about a hose of 20 meter of course..
Therefore I would suggest common sense in this case, in other words, if it makes the overall situation safer and easier to handle (minimizing the chance on mistakes or damage) with a slightly longer hose... why not.. just use your brain and do not overdo it. If you feel not confident you can do it, don't try!

Normally I would suggest to hire a professional, but... every single time I did that in Finland in the past decade, it resulted in the "amattilainen" screwing up, (Installation dish-washer, replacing parts of the steering and wheel connections of my car, connecting electrical equipment) with severe dangers to life of the users of said appliances and vehicles. In these cases... Hire Piet :lol: (although.. he is retired and enjoying his pension so he might decline the request/offer :wink: )

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:11 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:48 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
NukkuMatti wrote:
Tukes answer:

Indeed that is true.

However, an accident with gas, means most of the time "fire" and when the house is build of wood (pretty common in Finland), there will most likely be nothing left to measure the original length of the hose,
The picture of your kitchen one of your children or a guest posted on instagram earlier might help the investigators determining the length.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:22 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:11 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:48 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:

Indeed that is true.

However, an accident with gas, means most of the time "fire" and when the house is build of wood (pretty common in Finland), there will most likely be nothing left to measure the original length of the hose,
The picture of your kitchen one of your children or a guest posted on instagram earlier might help the investigators determining the length.
Sorry for the late response, it has been a while being here.. had important things to do instead of wasting my time here :lol:
Could you please use commas and periods?
I needed to read it three times before I understood it, due to the use of you word order and lack of commas.

I believe that, for clarity purposes, you'd better use "made by" in between = passive form, followed by a comma between the summed up possibilities of persons doing so. Or change the order as a whole: Like this:

A picture of your kitchen, made by one of your children, or a guest, who posted it on instagram earlier, might help the investigators determining the length.
OR even better:
The investigators might be helped by a picture of your kitchen, posted on Instagram at some moment in time before the fire, by either your children or some guest.

But I guess Finns are not so familiar with the Passive form, which seems to be a problem with Google translations as well, Even ChatGPT makes several mistakes with the passive form, a much used writing form in Germanic and Latin bases languages (don't know about the others like Arabic or Farsi or African / Asian languages).

On topic:

I guess what you suggest, is an impossibility of happening, if it would be in my situation, for several reasons:
First of all, no-one makes a photo in my home to later post it online, I for sure don't, my kids do not even have instagram, it is bad for their health and they agree it is smart to stay away from META. (signal instead of whatsapp). And my visitors will not make pictures inside my home without asking first.
Second, in the described plan, as discussed in previous conversation, you would still not be able to determine the length of the hose from a picture of the kitchen; the hose would be, like normally is the case, behind all equipment, the Gas bottle would be next to the furnace and not visible from the outside of the cupboard it resides in, so even if the, in the first point mentioned impossibilities would somehow happen anyway, there is still not a single measurement that could be guessed / measured or otherwise determined from such a photo:
You would not be able to see the bottle or the hose AND the bottle would be so close to the furnace, that even afterwards such an unfortunate event, it would be impossible to be determined how long the hose would have been if it is burned away, simply because of the physical distance between the bottle and the furnace being much smaller than the arbitrary set length of max 1,2m.
The reason for possibly making it longer is convenience but most of all: safety. (I will spare you the details).

Additional note to all above. I have found several (almost all) campers and caravans I have investigated to buy last year, to have a hose between the gas bottle and the later installed stove / fridge / furnace, to be longer than 2 meters and have several connections to 3 different appliances on it. I do not believe all are made by a company and mostly be done by DIY projects of previous owners. It seems this is not a requirement for a "katsastus" to check, because some of them would surely not have passed safety checks. So for anyone thinking of buying a second hand camper... check and double check. :wink: