Access to healthcare after moving

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
joakin

Post by joakin » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 am

Hi all,

I recently relocated to Finland for work, I have a 4-year employment contract and I am an EU citizen. I've applied to Migri for the EU registration and also applied for a Kela care, including the entitlement to medical care form. However, the processing times for both applications appear to be long, likely >3 months.

I understand that I won't have access to public healthcare until I obtain either permanent residence (right of municipality), which requires the Migri certificate and DVV processing, or via Kela. I have a little baby so I am concerned about the access to healthcare services such as vaccines, medical check-ups, etc. I have lived in 3 other EU countries so far, and it is the first time I have not access to public healthcare even being employed...

I would appreciate any advice from people who have been in a similar situation regarding public healthcare or even options for private healthcare insurance until everythings gets resolved.

I haven't been able to open a bank account due to the lack of the Migri EU certificate (tried Nordea and OP so far), so I am not sure I will be able to hire any private insurance without a Finnish bank account.

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Access to healthcare after moving

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:16 pm

joakin wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 am
I recently relocated to Finland for work, I have a 4-year employment contract and I am an EU citizen. I've applied to Migri for the EU registration and also applied for a Kela care, including the entitlement to medical care form. However, the processing times for both applications appear to be long, likely >3 months.

I understand that I won't have access to public healthcare until I obtain either permanent residence (right of municipality), which requires the Migri certificate and DVV processing, or via Kela. I have a little baby so I am concerned about the access to healthcare services such as vaccines, medical check-ups, etc. I have lived in 3 other EU countries so far, and it is the first time I have not access to public healthcare even being employed...
Services for children are not dependent on any registration. You should contact your local neuvola and they should get you started.

"Undocumented children have the right to healthcare services on the same grounds as those underage children who have a municipality of residence in Finland. "

https://stm.fi/en/healthcare-and-social ... ed-persons