Relation between Unemployment benefit and visa renewal

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
koushik704

Post by koushik704 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:26 pm

I am a spouse of an international student in finland. For the first residence permit, my spouse (student, main applicant) sponsored me and my 2 kids by showing funds needed for 1 year. We are here for 4 months and I am not able to find a job still. I went to TE office and I have now an integration plan with them. My language course is not started yet but TE office asked me to apply for unemployment benefit. I have to renew my visa in august.

My question is if I apply for unemployment benefit now will it be an issue for my visa renewal?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Relation between Unemployment benefit and visa renewal

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:11 am

koushik704 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:26 pm
I am a spouse of an international student in finland. For the first residence permit, my spouse (student, main applicant) sponsored me and my 2 kids by showing funds needed for 1 year. We are here for 4 months and I am not able to find a job still. I went to TE office and I have now an integration plan with them. My language course is not started yet but TE office asked me to apply for unemployment benefit. I have to renew my visa in august.

My question is if I apply for unemployment benefit now will it be an issue for my visa renewal?
So are you planning to renew a visa or residence permit?

koushik704

Post by koushik704 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:27 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:11 am
koushik704 wrote:

Residence permit

Stephan1992

Post by Stephan1992 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm

koushik704 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:27 am
betelgeuse wrote:
koushik704 wrote:

Residence permit
I am not sure if I understood correctly, but you are saying your spouse is your sponsor and showed funds for 1 year for you and your children yes?
Then how can you ask for unemployment benefits after 4 months?
Is this not the purpose of the earlier shown funds for 1 year? In other words: should your spouse not cover your and your children's cost of living and therefore you are not eligible for unemployment benefits??

Maybe @betelgeuse can shine a light on this because I have no clue about the actual law, but it just seems weird for me to have your spouse in need to show funds to provide for you for the first year to get a residence permit in the first place and then after only 4 months already find the need to apply for unemployment benefits..in other words the funds seem not enough..or are not actually there..or...
There is no need for unemployment benefits because the funds are actually there and you should NOT apply for unemployment benefits.

To me it sounds that you will: not get the benefit, or even be denied a residence permit, when your spouse = sponsor, seems unable to provide for you and your children for the next 8 months...(this means he lied on your joint application about the funds).

I guess the expression " a hornets nest" is applicable here... so be very careful on how to proceed..

I am eager to hear from betelgeuse what is his/her opinion... it seems this forum member is quite well familiar with (these immigration) laws..in contrary to many others who often misinterpret details in laws and can give you wrong advice. So it might pay off to wait for a reaction from this forum member.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:34 pm

Stephan1992 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm
koushik704 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:27 am
betelgeuse wrote:

Residence permit
I am not sure if I understood correctly, but you are saying your spouse is your sponsor and showed funds for 1 year for you and your children yes?
Then how can you ask for unemployment benefits after 4 months?
Is this not the purpose of the earlier shown funds for 1 year? In other words: should your spouse not cover your and your children's cost of living and therefore you are not eligible for unemployment benefits??

Maybe @betelgeuse can shine a light on this because I have no clue about the actual law, but it just seems weird for me to have your spouse in need to show funds to provide for you for the first year to get a residence permit in the first place and then after only 4 months already find the need to apply for unemployment benefits..in other words the funds seem not enough..or are not actually there..or...
There is no need for unemployment benefits because the funds are actually there and you should NOT apply for unemployment benefits.

To me it sounds that you will: not get the benefit, or even be denied a residence permit, when your spouse = sponsor, seems unable to provide for you and your children for the next 8 months...(this means he lied on your joint application about the funds).
Section 39 of the Aliens Act says: ” When issuing extended permits, the alien’s financial resources shall be sufficient as provided in subsection 2, provided, however, that temporary resort to social assistance or other similar benefit securing the alien’s financial resources does not prevent the issue of the permit.”

https://finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/20 ... 230389.pdf