Plywood in Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Ykarazu

Plywood in Helsinki

Post by Ykarazu » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:22 am

Hi guys

So i have this project, let's say its cabinets, and i need plywood for that. Id need some 2 or 3 sheets, 18mm, Birch preferable, and furniture grade.
Where can i buy that?
Everybody will say K-Rauta, Bauhaus or Stark, but none of those have what i need. They all just have BB/WG Ply, and i want something better than that... at least i want to make sure that there are no other options, which i don't believe, because i live in the capital of a country covered in trees. How difficult can it be? Or do K-Rauta, Bauhaus & Stark actually have good ply and not update the website properly? I found one sawmill in Kotka that has B/BB grade Kuusivaneri, which is an option, but its in Kotka...
Second Question: I'd like those sheets to be cut to size. I know that that might be too much to ask, so where could i do that myself? I just need rectangles, nothing funky. Is there anywhere a place where i could rent a workshop or a tablesaw?
And yes, i know that it will be expensive, but that isn't the issue here right now.
And if I'm already here i might as well ask another related question: does anyone have experience with Ordering Plywood cut to size at Bauhaus? Do they even do that? I know that they charge, but whatever...

Thanks for the help cuties
^-^

Plywood in Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: Plywood in Helsinki

Post by SecretCode » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am

Ykarazu wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:22 am
How difficult can it be? Or do K-Rauta, Bauhaus & Stark actually have good ply and not update the website properly?
I think it's very likely the web sites will not be 100% in line with what they physically carry.

But more importantly, they should be able (and may be willing) to get stuff that they do not normally stock. I suggest you go into one of the stores and ask.

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm

Stark in Herttoniemi have a large warehouse with different sizes and grades. There is a cutting service, they also have left over pieces which you can also buy.
But those smaller pieces get snapped up quickly!
Cutting service was 14€/15mins…but I have not been there for a couple years, I’m sure the price has gone up.

On tori.fi and facebook marketplace sometimes people sell left overs from projects. I have some very small leftover pieces…the bigger sizes sold very fast.

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:07 pm

Ykarazu wrote:
Hi guys

So i have this project, let's say its cabinets, and i need plywood for that. Id need some 2 or 3 sheets, 18mm, Birch preferable, and furniture grade.
Where can i buy that?
Everybody will say K-Rauta, Bauhaus or Stark, but none of those have what i need. They all just have BB/WG Ply, and i want something better than that... at least i want to make sure that there are no other options, which i don't believe, because i live in the capital of a country covered in trees. How difficult can it be? Or do K-Rauta, Bauhaus & Stark actually have good ply and not update the website properly? I found one sawmill in Kotka that has B/BB grade Kuusivaneri, which is an option, but its in Kotka...
Second Question: I'd like those sheets to be cut to size. I know that that might be too much to ask, so where could i do that myself? I just need rectangles, nothing funky. Is there anywhere a place where i could rent a workshop or a tablesaw?
And yes, i know that it will be expensive, but that isn't the issue here right now.
And if I'm already here i might as well ask another related question: does anyone have experience with Ordering Plywood cut to size at Bauhaus? Do they even do that? I know that they charge, but whatever...

Thanks for the help cuties
^-^
I am pretty clueless about the plywood grading system but I assume A is better than B. In which case would something like this work? https://www.stark-suomi.fi/tuote/ohutva ... -6ply-09ge
ImageImage

Ykarazu

Post by Ykarazu » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:17 am

I am pretty clueless about the plywood grading system but I assume A is better than B. In which case would something like this work? https://www.stark-suomi.fi/tuote/ohutva ... -6ply-09ge
Yes, A is better than B, the problem with what you've linked is that it is just 6 mm thick - not nearly thick enough to actually build anything like a cabinet from (im looking for 18mm thick material, maybe 12mm for the weaker structures). It could be used as a veneer to cover up an uglier base plywood. Maybe. Im not gonna do that anyways...

Ykarazu

Post by Ykarazu » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 am

Jaeger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm
Stark in Herttoniemi have a large warehouse with different sizes and grades. There is a cutting service, they also have left over pieces which you can also buy.
But those smaller pieces get snapped up quickly!
Cutting service was 14€/15mins…but I have not been there for a couple years, I’m sure the price has gone up.

On tori.fi and facebook marketplace sometimes people sell left overs from projects. I have some very small leftover pieces…the bigger sizes sold very fast.
I have not yet checked out the herttoniemi stark. Maybe i should if you say that they have a big selection.
At Bauhaus Vantaa and they have a cutting service for 5€/5 minutes, so your price experience might be up to date.
I considered trying to get my stuff from Tori or Facebook but for the amount i need that is not reasonable. Also most likely this wont be the last time i need plywood in my life, so i might as well do my best at figuring out a good source for it.

Ykarazu

Post by Ykarazu » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 am

SecretCode wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am
Ykarazu wrote:
How difficult can it be? Or do K-Rauta, Bauhaus & Stark actually have good ply and not update the website properly?
But more importantly, they should be able (and may be willing) to get stuff that they do not normally stock. I suggest you go into one of the stores and ask.
I have not tought about asking them to order something for me. Its worth a shot at least

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:38 am

Ykarazu wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 am
SecretCode wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am
Ykarazu wrote:
I have not tought about asking them to order something for me. Its worth a shot at least
If you are luck they might even tell you what options exist elsewhere to get what you need if that's something they don't offer, e.g. when there's some plywood store somewhere.