Freelancing as a side job

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ox3b987sj

Post by ox3b987sj » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:20 pm

Hey,

I'm currently on a residence permit and employed by a Finnish company. I have some free time in evenings and I'm thinking of taking up freelance/contract work on the side either with a Finnish company or an overseas company (iOS Development/Remote) for extra income. I have no plans of leaving my current full time employer - this will just be a side/evening gig.I have discussed the tax implications already and have consulted a tax practitioner already on how to remain compliant. Not thinking of starting a toiminimi or a company just yet, just freelancing/contracting directly with overseas or local company.

Is there a chance that this might affect my affect my residency permit or citizenship application negatively later? There will be no change in my employment situation and I don't see the income from the side gig exceeding the full time employment income. Is there anything I'm missing or I should check before I start?

Thank you for your response.

Best regards.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

broccoli

Re: Freelancing as a side job

Post by broccoli » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm

It will not affect your status and citizenship prospects as long as you work in finnish company.

However, how are you going to work as a freelancer (especially with non-finish company) without having a toiminimi? How will you send invoices/pay taxes?

ox3b987sj

Post by ox3b987sj » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:59 pm

Good point. I was thinking of using a service like ukko.fi or perhaps reaching out to one one of the contracting houses in Finand. They'll typically charge a fee, but don't want administrative hassles right now.

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:06 pm

That will work smoothly only for invoices in Finland.
It can be tricky for invoices overseas.

ox3b987sj

Post by ox3b987sj » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:46 pm

I have no idea at the moment, but will ask around and find out. My biggest concern was it somehow negatively impacting my citizenship prospects.

Rankin

Post by Rankin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:49 pm

Im going to guess you're on a blue card? If yes, there's no restriction on starting a business as long as it's not your primary job. That comes directly from the migri website.

I have secondary job in another EU country, I just pay additional tax on it.

I'm planning to use one of these consulting companies to enable me to be employed by a non Finnish company. My job contract is with them, so it's compliant.

ox3b987sj

Post by ox3b987sj » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm

Okay, its been a while and I have secured a contract with a local contracting house. I'm now wondering if I should register a toiminimi. Will that affect the eventual citizenship application? Would this change the grounds/conditions for my resdience application given that I don't give up my normal job?

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 pm

I used to work as freelancer for clients abroad. Registering as toiminimi is not a requirement. You can report your freelancing income as extra income in your personal tax.

The advantage of having toiminimi is if you're buying things related to your business, you can claim the ALV back. So in some ways this can be a good option.

One thing that could be mandatory is paying YEL, depending how much you earn. Look into the updated amounts as there is minimum amount that you can earn that makes it mandatory for you to pay YEL.