Police asked me to pay a fine, because my passport has expired. Is this normal?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:36 pm

Hello! Today I got a call from the police. And they said I need to go to the police station and pay a fine, because my passport has expired.

I am not a Finnish citizen but a foreigner with a valid permant residence permit. It's true that my passport has expired and my new passport will be sent from the embassy in a couple of weeks. I never knew the Finnish police would punish me for passport expiration.

I think the police noticed this because I applied for residence permit renewal with Migri lately. Interestingly, Migri didn't mind my passport has expired and granted me a new residence permit.

And the reason I didn't renew my passport in time was that in covid time, the embassy of my country paused all face to face passport renewal business. Instead, I had to use their app to do it. I tried their app several times but every time there was some problem (for example, the app kept saying the ID photo I uploaded was not acceptable, even if I took the photo in a professional photography studio). So I got frustrated and wanted to wait until I could apply for a new passport face to face again in the embassy. But lately because I had to apply for residence permit renewal, I thought it's better I apply for a new passport anyway just in case Migri would mind my passport status. And I managed to get a new passport after a lot of hassle.

What I didn't expect is I should pay a fine to the police because of this. So does anyone know if this is still negotiable with the police? And if not, how much would the fine be normally (the woman on the phone said she is not sure of that, I need to go to their office first)?

Thank you all in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

network_engineer

Re: Police asked me to pay a fine, because my passport has expired. Is this normal?

Post by network_engineer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:04 am

As far as I recall, a passport expiring is not the same as expiry of a residence permit.

A permanent residence grants you the right of residence on a permanent basis, the sticker just proves that right. In the case of a residence permit card, that card stands on its own right.

Ask them to give you a reference to a clause in the law that provides for a fine in case of an expired passport.

betelgeuse

Re: Police asked me to pay a fine, because my passport has expired. Is this normal?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:44 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:04 am
As far as I recall, a passport expiring is not the same as expiry of a residence permit.

A permanent residence grants you the right of residence on a permanent basis, the sticker just proves that right. In the case of a residence permit card, that card stands on its own right.

Ask them to give you a reference to a clause in the law that provides for a fine in case of an expired passport.
Section 185 of the Aliens Act.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:07 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:44 pm
Section 185 of the Aliens Act.
I would suspect that this is not quite related to a expired passport ... but I may be wrong. I would need to read the Bill behind the act. I would suspect this is more about illegal immigrant that has crossed the border without the correct papers.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm

It is a normal legal requirement that governments require all non citizens to have a valid travel document at all times while in the country. Therefore, having an expired passport while in the country is a legal offence.

jalgrattur

Post by jalgrattur » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:34 pm

heretostay wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm
It is a normal legal requirement that governments require all non citizens to have a valid travel document at all times while in the country. Therefore, having an expired passport while in the country is a legal offence.
I would not pay that fine. I got a fine when driving and talking to a mobile phone 100 euros. It was about 2,5 years ago. Nothing happened when did not pay fine and second fine I got about 1,5 years ago car parking fine 60 euros in Vantaa. Also nothing happened when I did not pay that fine. But I dont have my car with Finnish number plate also.

NaLeKoNa

Post by NaLeKoNa » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 pm

abovetherim wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:36 pm
Hello! Today I got a call from the police. And they said I need to go to the police station and pay a fine, because my passport has expired.

I am not a Finnish citizen but a foreigner with a valid permant residence permit. It's true that my passport has expired and my new passport will be sent from the embassy in a couple of weeks. I never knew the Finnish police would punish me for passport expiration.

I think the police noticed this because I applied for residence permit renewal with Migri lately. Interestingly, Migri didn't mind my passport has expired and granted me a new residence permit.

And the reason I didn't renew my passport in time was that in covid time, the embassy of my country paused all face to face passport renewal business. Instead, I had to use their app to do it. I tried their app several times but every time there was some problem (for example, the app kept saying the ID photo I uploaded was not acceptable, even if I took the photo in a professional photography studio). So I got frustrated and wanted to wait until I could apply for a new passport face to face again in the embassy. But lately because I had to apply for residence permit renewal, I thought it's better I apply for a new passport anyway just in case Migri would mind my passport status. And I managed to get a new passport after a lot of hassle.

What I didn't expect is I should pay a fine to the police because of this. So does anyone know if this is still negotiable with the police? And if not, how much would the fine be normally (the woman on the phone said she is not sure of that, I need to go to their office first)?

Well, I am surprised that Migri issued you a new RP when your passport has expired! I once applied for renewal of my RP 3 months before my passport expired and the Migri official told me if they don't make my decision before the validity of my passport I have to provide a new passport before I can get decision. They told me it is a law my passport has to be valid when they make the decision so I am surprised how you had an expired passport and still got a decision. There is no law that says you can have a new RP with an expired passport talkless of getting a fine if you have an expired passport, you can leave in finland with an expired passport as long as your RP is valid. I had a friend who lived here for 3 months with an expired passport but had a valid permit, he got a "laisser passer" from the embassy and showed at the airport when leaving finland and going to his home country to renew his passport.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 pm

NaLeKoNa wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 pm
abovetherim wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:36 pm

Well, I am surprised that Migri issued you a new RP when your passport has expired! I once applied for renewal of my RP 3 months before my passport expired and the Migri official told me if they don't make my decision before the validity of my passport I have to provide a new passport before I can get decision. They told me it is a law my passport has to be valid when they make the decision so I am surprised how you had an expired passport and still got a decision. There is no law that says you can have a new RP with an expired passport talkless of getting a fine if you have an expired passport, you can leave in finland with an expired passport as long as your RP is valid. I had a friend who lived here for 3 months with an expired passport but had a valid permit, he got a "laisser passer" from the embassy and showed at the airport when leaving finland and going to his home country to renew his passport.
The original poster has a permanent residence permit and as such does not need a new RP decision. The original post mistakenly calls residence permit card renewal residence permit renewal.

poemhelpful

Post by poemhelpful » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:28 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm
Governments are legally required to require all non-citizens to have a valid travel document when they are in the nation at all timesgeometry dash lite. After I failed to pay the first fine and the second charge, which was for 60 euros for parking in Vantaa, about 1.5 years ago, nothing occurred