Can I terminate a signed contract before starting the job without penalty with a two-week notice?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
polyester100

Can I terminate a signed contract before starting the job without penalty with a two-week notice?

Post by polyester100 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:31 am

My contract starts in one month (it has not started yet). If I receive a more favorable offer and decide to terminate the signed contract, would I be able to do so without incurring any penalties, provided I give a two-week notice period?
Last edited by polyester100 on Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: New job offer - Can I break contract without penalty with a two-week notice?

Post by DMC » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:47 am

I guess you need to read your contract. The terms will be there.

Many contracts have a trial period, for example 3 months or 6 months. During that period either side - employer or employee - can terminate the agreement with no notice or penalty. I once did that 2 weeks after starting a job because I got a better offer elsewhere. If your contract is similar it will be easy to move on.