Remigration Visa Questions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
postimies7

Post by postimies7 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:47 am

I think I am likely 'pushing it' in terms of meeting requirements for this visa but thinking I might want to give it a shot.

I have recently been thinking about attempting a move to Finland. When looking at the Migri website and browsing the visa options, I noticed the 'Returnee / Remigration' visa. It appears to be that if you are a descendant of a Finnish citizen at birth (father / grandfather), that you would qualify for some sort of 'remigration' visa. The trick with my situation is that while my grandfather was not born in Finland, his father was. My great-grandfather was born in Finland in 1895 and immigrated to America in 1920. My grandfather was born in 1928, prior to my great-grandfather becoming a US Citizen. Subsequently, my great-grandfather became a US Citizen in 1948.

I am thinking of submitting my application to Migri (including all birth certificates, marriage certs, death certs, etc.) and making the argument that my grandfather was a Finnish citizen at birth because his father was a Finnish citizen at the time of his birth.

Is this stretching the rules too much?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Remigration Visa Questions

Post by browndude » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:10 pm

If your grandfather was born in the USA, then he is a US citizen and not a Finnish citizen by birth-I don't think he would have qualified as a Finnish citizen since Finland did not allow dual-citizenship back then. You can certainly submit the application and see what happens I suppose.
ImageImage

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:06 pm

browndude wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:10 pm
If your grandfather was born in the USA, then he is a US citizen and not a Finnish citizen by birth-I don't think he would have qualified as a Finnish citizen since Finland did not allow dual-citizenship back then. You can certainly submit the application and see what happens I suppose.
Did you verify the legislation from those old days? Finland has for a long time allowed dual citizenship at birth but no idea what the situation was back then.

“Myös ennen vuotta 2003 kaksoiskansalaisuus oli mahdollinen joissakin tilanteissa. Näin oli esimerkiksi silloin, kun lapsi sai syntyessään Suomen ja jonkin toisen valtion kansalaisuuden. ”

https://intermin.fi/maahanmuutto/kansal ... aisuudesta

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 pm

This question has been asked on the forum here many times over the years I have been following it but I dont think we have ever had anyone report back if they were successful or not. If you do decide to apply, please kindly return to this thread and report back whether or not your application was approved.