Very expensive cars,what do you think?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

Do you that cheaper cars will have a good impact among finns?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:49 pm

Yes but no. Cars are seen as "luxury objects". Finnish-made cars weren't any less-taxed nor cheaper when there was an industry (and many tries in the 1960's). So it wasn't protectionism as there wasn't a local competing industry.

Different countries taxed the weirdest stuff as "luxury items"... Golf Clubs in South Africa was one interesting item that popped up in the IATA class in the 90's...

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:47 pm

When I first got to Finland, I was also shocked at the price of cars here. My thoughts on the matter have since boiled down to something like the following:

- government does not have a great deal of income, since there are not so many taxpayers; and thus tries very hard to tax as many things as possibe. Personally I think this will improve when all the whinging freeloading students and the 50% of unemployed immigrants piss off out of the country ;)

- there is no protectionism involved since Finland does not have its own indiginous auto industry; unless you count assembling Boxsters on the west coast; so state can impose taxes on all cars regardless.

- the road system needs to be maintained. Have you ever been outside Kehä III? There are a lot of roads in fact serving just few small communities that still need upkeep. There are virtually no motorways, at least, compared to rest of Europe. I imagine (though don't know) that some of the vehice tax money goes towards this.

- the high price of cars keeps the roads relatively clear - I have hardly ever suffered any traffic jams in Finland. I would say this is a major benefit to those who can afford cars in the first place ;)

- Public transport in general is excellent - of course, there are some people who can't get where they want. This will always be the case. But what there is serves the majority and works well. If I lived in downtown HKI I wouldn't even dream of owning a car. Well, maybe only 1 or 2 ;)

Prices have dropped here and will probably continue to drop over the long term. Don't hold your breath though.

If you REALLY want a cheaper car, go abroad for a year, buy one there, then come back later and bring it as as part of your removal goods.
Paul

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:54 pm

paulrenn wrote:When I first got to Finland, I was also shocked at the price of cars here. My thoughts on the matter have since boiled down to something like the following:

- government does not have a great deal of income, since there are not so many taxpayers; and thus tries very hard to tax as many things as possibe. Personally I think this will improve when all the whinging freeloading students and the 50% of unemployed immigrants piss off out of the country ;)

- there is no protectionism involved since Finland does not have its own indiginous auto industry; unless you count assembling Boxsters on the west coast; so state can impose taxes on all cars regardless.

- the road system needs to be maintained. Have you ever been outside Kehä III? There are a lot of roads in fact serving just few small communities that still need upkeep. There are virtually no motorways, at least, compared to rest of Europe. I imagine (though don't know) that some of the vehice tax money goes towards this.

- the high price of cars keeps the roads relatively clear - I have hardly ever suffered any traffic jams in Finland. I would say this is a major benefit to those who can afford cars in the first place ;)

- Public transport in general is excellent - of course, there are some people who can't get where they want. This will always be the case. But what there is serves the majority and works well. If I lived in downtown HKI I wouldn't even dream of owning a car. Well, maybe only 1 or 2 ;)

Prices have dropped here and will probably continue to drop over the long term. Don't hold your breath though.

If you REALLY want a cheaper car, go abroad for a year, buy one there, then come back later and bring it as as part of your removal goods.
Agreed!!!!

Ps. Need to meet up with you sometime....

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 pm

Beam me up Scotty!

Protectionism involves putting high indirect taxes on products that are not made locally. Think about it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:54 pm

Depends if you are talking about traditional protectionism or modern protectionism. Neither case justifies Finland really.

Traditional protectionism sees revenue tariffs as a source of government funding, much like a sales tax, that can be used to reduce other domestic forms of taxes. The goal of traditional protectionism is to maximize tax revenue from the purchase of foreign products with the goal of being able to reduce or eliminate other forms of domestic taxation (income taxes, sales taxes, etc.) as a result.

Yeah, right. A lot of tax breaks I've seen.

Most modern views of protectionism call for placing tariffs at such a high level as to compel the consumer to buy the domestic product

Which don't exist.

The car tax is "traditional protectionism" in the sense it is revenue for the government. period. No tax breaks and only zilch goes to road maintenance (fuels are mostly tax too).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectionism
Cheers, Hank W.

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Hank, look up some stuff on indirect tax harmonisation. It needs to happen to stop protectionist practices that occur all over Europe.

Some good examples

1. For years indirect taxes on wine in the UK were far higher than indirect taxes on spirits and beer

2. Recently Finland cut taxes on alchohol. The biggest tax cuts were on spirits and beer. Wine taxes fell but not by very much.

Even with global warming there's still not much of an opportunity to grow grapes in the UK and even less of a chance in Finland.

High car taxes divert spending into areas that might benefit the Finnish economy. People here can't afford to replace their car every 3 years like they do in the UK and Germany. Instead the Finns spend their spare cash on other things e.g. mobile phones, restaurants and other locally provided services

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Hank, look up some stuff on indirect tax harmonisation. It needs to happen to stop protectionist practices that occur all over Europe.

Some good examples

1. For years indirect taxes on wine in the UK were far higher than indirect taxes on spirits and beer

2. Recently Finland cut taxes on alcohol. The biggest tax cuts were on spirits and beer. Wine taxes fell but not by very much.

Even with global warming there's still not much of an opportunity to grow grapes in the UK and even less of a chance in Finland.

High car taxes divert spending into areas that might benefit the Finnish economy. People here can't afford to replace their car every 3 years like they do in the UK and Germany. Instead the Finns spend their spare cash on other things e.g. mobile phones, restaurants and other locally provided services

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:12 pm

Yes, but Finns don't drink that much wine don't they? And instead of a car you take the bus, you don't have money to eat out anyways, the mobiles are made in china etc.

Even if a new car cost 1/2 of what it did now I still couldn't afford to swap it.
Cheers, Hank W.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:13 pm

watsonwatson wrote:

2. Recently Finland cut taxes on alcohol. The biggest tax cuts were on spirits and beer. Wine taxes fell but not by very much.
The tax decreases were based on alcohol content, not drink type.

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:34 pm

Mook wrote:
haahatus wrote:If windows get black after a few years there is a problem. Even though Finland is massively better than many many places on this planet.
I'm not sure that this holds, given that since 1992 all new cars in the EU have had Catalytic convertors.
There is more to car pollution than this. This isn't that simple
for example the euro 5 norm and particle filters and so on. These norms are getting stricter over time
http://www.t-e.nu/Article144.html

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:35 pm

There was though calls to lower the tax on wine more - to direct the people from vodka+beer to more moderate wine lipping...
Cheers, Hank W.

Majava

Post by Majava » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:19 pm

watsonwatson wrote:Recently one of my students explained that a number of her friends refuse to eat in Turkish owned pizza outfits. Instead they go to Koti pizza. I asked why. The answer according to her wasn't anything to do with value for money. She actually said that Koti pizza pizzas are small and expensive in comparison. Her friends were willing to pay the Koti pizza price premium to obtain a psychological benefit- the emotional pleasure obtained from supporting a Finnish business.
I suggest your student is in need for a brain. A pizza kebab place may have Turkish or whatever owners, but is still a Finnish business. It's using Finnish suppliers, rents his restaurant from a Finnish housing company, and pays Finnish taxes. On top of that, it is also employing (far)more people than your average KP, where I often only see one dude sweating to get all the orders prepared. So the kebab place is cotributing more to Finnish society than Koti Pizza. Tell that to your student and if she still insist to go to KP, she clearly has a different and very questionable motive.
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Maybe is she dyed her hair darker :!:

Easy answer to the lure of KP maybe if you employ Freud.

So the girls go for a pizza and want to eat. Maybe the fat, balding burned-out KP chef isn't offering so much "extra sausage" as the 20-something curly-haired lanky gaselle-eyed pizza blokes who think they are God's gift to the local womenfolk? So the poor girls cannot eat when they are distracted by hot mediterranean lovers. :lol: Of course they won't admit to this, because they're after the extra sausage anyhow in the disco after the pizza. :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.

mumboman

Post by mumboman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 am

Cars are not something that everyone should have, that is just plain stupid. Ever heard of global warming. Obviously there are people who need a car. If you live in a rural area and public transport is crap. I live in the centre of Kuopio and really have no need for a car, I can walk everywhere, and the odd time I leave I actually take the bus. I refuse to pay the gas prices. and I own a car. Less automobiles on the road = less pollution. My car is more to keep my sanity intact while I'm here, If I need to get away for a day I have the option. Though the last couple times the train served my purpose well. 5000 euro or 10000 euro for a car, it doesn't matter if you got 5000 buy a 5000 car.

mumboman

Post by mumboman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:33 am

And to point out another thing alintatoc, you knew when you got off the boat that cars cost twice as much here so what are you complaining about. And if you didn't you have no one to blame but yourself for not looking into it.