What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Would a Starbucks do well in Finland?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 43

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:04 pm

I remind the question is not will Starbucks be able to survive in Finland but will Starbucks do well in Finland. I don't think it will. Only time will tell for sure.
toukokuu wrote:I do not understand what these folks are talking about. Even if we have Wayne's and some other cafeterias, Starbucks it still welcome. The coffee they serve, is great. Look at the Hamburger restaurants - Mc Donalds, Carrols, Burger King, Hesburger. Mostly they are always if not full, at least half full.
Do not feel discouraged about these cynical reactions. Indeed, Finnish people are great coffee drinkers.
These came into Finland before if I mind remind. Burger King? Carrols was almost closed down, owned by Hesburger.

Starbucks was not a success everywhere around the world.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stor ... ily49.html
Starbucks enters Germany 2002. Atleast 3 years later there are only 17 in Germany.
Use SuperI... link or this
http://www.starbucksgermany.com/stores_ ... all=1&plz=

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 836056.htm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:44 am

superiorinferior wrote: Where is there a Burger King in Finland?
In the "bankrupt" category as in "ancient history". I remember visiting the one when it was still operational. Someone owns the franchise rights here, but when Hesburger bought Carrolls it sort of made the scene "two big players" arena.

There used to be a number of burger chains but they're al gone...
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

coffee anyone

Someone's a little testy about their coffee

Post by coffee anyone » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:43 am

Okay everyone, calm down. :shock:
I'm just doing research for a college paper-not a big deal. I'm not quite sure if any of you have been to America or a Starbuck's, but there are many different types of coffee. Plus, Starbuck's adjusts their menu to regional preferences-just like McDonald's. Starbucks is supposed to create an experience, not just coffee. They act as a meeting place for locals, might have musical performances-good in Finland, right? :D It's supposed to be an "experience." If the coffee was duplicated how you like it in Finland... then how do you feel?

pierrot

Re: Someone's a little testy about their coffee

Post by pierrot » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 am

coffee anyone wrote:Okay everyone, calm down. :shock:
I'm just doing research for a college paper-not a big deal. I'm not quite sure if any of you have been to America or a Starbuck's, but there are many different types of coffee.
Well, have you been in Finland?
I have seen the available coffees at Starbucks and was not really impressed. Just by renaming its selection and adding all kind of flavours does not make it something exceptional or better than average.
coffee anyone wrote:Plus, Starbuck's adjusts their menu to regional preferences-just like McDonald's. Starbucks is supposed to create an experience, not just coffee. They act as a meeting place for locals, might have musical performances-good in Finland, right? :D It's supposed to be an "experience." If the coffee was duplicated how you like it in Finland... then how do you feel?
I rather doubt the locals want an 'experience' when the come in for a drink. If the experience does not include alcohol, they wont be very interested at all ;)

I dont doubt that one starbucks in helsinki would be the great star for a few weeks or months. But once the 'hip' people have been there and gone again and the musicians have been stared at silently for a while, the place will fade away and a subway will replace it after a while and then a pizzeria and then...
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:26 am

I'm just doing research for a college paper-not a big deal. I'm not quite sure if any of you have been to America or a Starbuck's, but there are many different types of coffee.

..... Plus, Starbuck's adjusts their menu to regional preferences-just like McDonald's. Starbucks is supposed to create an experience, not just coffee. They act as a meeting place for locals, might have musical performances-good in Finland, right? :D It's supposed to be an "experience." If the coffee was duplicated how you like it in Finland... then how do you feel?

Vat is dis MikDonildz ov you spiik?

Non-govirnmint muzik performanz banned by sekret polis. No publik gadderingz vizout Prezidint approvil... Kofi must taste ov ze svett ov ze kommon män.

Iz expirienz like Jimi Hendrickz? Vat?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 am

pierrot wrote: I rather doubt the locals want an 'experience' when the come in for a drink. If the experience does not include alcohol, they wont be very interested at all ;)
:lol:

But there are "new" coffee chains opening - look at Valio re-opening its classic "valion baari" concept of the 1950's as in Kamppi.
Cheers, Hank W.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:31 am

Was just watching some tv the other day and there was a report on the trend of gourmet coffee places opening up in Finland (Wayne's, Robert's, etc). People interviewed said that the trend came from the US, and that it was also cool to carry around coffee cups.

If you keep an eye peeled you can see trendy young things carting around coffee cups in subzero temperatures. It looks quite impractical on the bus and walking around in the slush, but whatever fashuion dictates, eh?

In terms of actually opening up a Starbucks in Finland, that niche has already been filled with the aforementioned Wayne and Robert caffiene dealers.

Unless Starbucks wants to sell Frappacinos, or whatever that frozen coffee drink is, in Finland. Good luck to them if they do try that.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:48 am

deojuvame wrote: Unless Starbucks wants to sell Frappacinos, or whatever that frozen coffee drink is, in Finland. Good luck to them if they do try that.
Actually I'd think that might pick up. In the summer - that one week its +25.
I as more or less addicted to them in Greece.
Cheers, Hank W.

smilesalot

Post by smilesalot » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:55 am

With the amount of money their making they could buy out the competitors, or charge lower prices to eliminate the competition.
Of course that would only happen if it made economic cents right ;) ;)

smilesalot :)

In the cookies of life, friends are the chocolate chips.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:37 am

smilesalot wrote:With the amount of money their making they could buy out the competitors, or charge lower prices to eliminate the competition.
Of course that would only happen if it made economic cents right ;) ;)
smilesalot :)
In the cookies of life, friends are the chocolate chips.
Finns are loyal to domestic products & brands (Nokia, Hesburger, Kotipizza, Marimekko, Paulig coffee, Fazer, Iittala, Arabia mm.). I noted early on that many adverts describe Finland's best, Finland's favourite, things with a Finnish origin. This must be one of the few countries where McDonalds is not the market leader in junk (sorry.... fast) food.

Starbucks entered the UK market buying an existing chain, if it happened that Starbucks bought one of the Finnish chains then I could imagine a backlash from the consumers switching to the remaining Finnish brand.

It's probably not worth Starbucks entering such a mature and hostile market. Or they are biding their time and if one of the existing chains hits hard times, they can ease their way in as a white knight.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:44 am

I'm just doing research for a college paper-not a big deal. I'm not quite sure if any of you have been to America or a Starbuck's, but there are many different types of coffee. Plus, Starbuck's adjusts their menu to regional preferences-just like McDonald's. Starbucks is supposed to create an experience, not just coffee. They act as a meeting place for locals, might have musical performances-good in Finland, right? :D It's supposed to be an "experience." If the coffee was duplicated how you like it in Finland... then how do you feel?
Most of the people here have been to the US, several of us grew up there, actually. You'd probably get better answers from a forum of native Finnish people, rather than a bunch of people who moved away from the UK or the US... Many people here moved away to escape from the sort of homogenized, corporate-centric consumerism that is the very backbone of Starbucks philosophy.

BTW, I have been in a Starbucks once, but I didn't order anything as I could not figure out the menu.

KatGrrl

Post by KatGrrl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 pm

Coffee Anyone,

To answer your question, yes, I think Starbucks would do well in Finland. And here's my personal take on it.

Competition wise, true, there are Wayne, Roberts & a couple of old cafes like Ekberg. But that's about it! As someone mentioned, Wayne & Roberts are Starbucks clones. And may I add that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Most weekends, Wayne & Roberts are packed. As for the likes of Ekberg, a cafe experience there costs an arm & a leg! My husband & paid more than 10 frikking euros for a 'latte macchiato', a cappuccino & a danish. And btw, they got latte macchiato all wrong (to them, it was just a classic cafe latte)..so much for 'real' coffee houses.

Value. I agree fully with you when you said it's about the cafe experience. Whether it's people watching, some me-time reading ditzy magazines or just kicking back with a big glass of frappuccino, it's about enjoying the moment. I dearly miss the cafe culture where I came from. Affordable cafe culture, that is. Give customers a bigger mug of coffee, free wlan, plenty of magazines, plush comfy sofas, loyal customers scheme (any free coffee with 12 bought), choices in 'fun' coffee & a good selection of cakes e.g. 3" high NY cheesecakes, mudpies and chunky chicken pies. And before I forget, longer opening hours!! I'm utterly shocked that a cafe could close on the weekends, open at 10-11am (what about that morning perk-me-up?) and close at 6pm (hellooo?).....

It's about doing things slightly differently & better than the competitors. How much does 20% more coffee cost? not much. And with the increase in number of Finns who travel beyond europe and international folks here, I'd bet there's a market for more exciting stuff.

One last thing though. Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf than Starbucks or even Spinelli. And no, I'm not even American or lived in the States before, lest anyone turns this into a US vs. Europe/Finland debate. :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:51 pm

One thing though what euro rose, was the price of a cup of coffee. in teh "good old days" you'd find coffee from 1 markka to 5... over five was a posh place. These days you go to Esson paari and its freaking 2 euros!!! :evil:
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:54 pm

KatGrrl wrote: Competition wise, true, there are Wayne, Roberts & a couple of old cafes like Ekberg. But that's about it!
Oi, you forgot the Coffee House http://www.coffeehouse.fi/ -now those places have a variety of teas/cffees and huge sandwiches, cakes and the likes. Not so extremely many around but worth the visit.
Cheers, Hank W.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 pm

KatGrrl wrote:As for the likes of Ekberg, a cafe experience there costs an arm & a leg! My husband & paid more than 10 frikking euros for a 'latte macchiato', a cappuccino & a danish. And btw, they got latte macchiato all wrong (to them, it was just a classic cafe latte)..so much for 'real' coffee houses.
Ekberg & also Café Strindberg are not typical Finnish coffee shops though. The former has an (IMHO unwarranted) good reputation and they can charge those high prices because people like your husband will pay them... simple supply & demand, it's also located in the biggest tourist area of the city.

I forgot to mention, we had a Waynes Coffee open last Winter on the main shopping street of Pori, it lasted half a year as so few people used it as Pori already has the popular Café Wikholm, so it's hard even for the existing companies to expand in the market.